The Jayhawks (including Louris, Olson, and related)

and also if there was any time while writing songs for the records after Mark left, did Gary feel like some songs were written with their harmonizing in mind.

This might sound funny, but Gary wrote some songs for the Dixie Chicks and I swear that you can hear the intended Louris/Olson harmonies on those.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might sound funny, but Gary wrote some songs for the Dixie Chicks and I swear that you can hear the intended Louris/Olson harmonies on those.

hmm... i have heard some of those, but guess i'd have to listen more closely to pick up on that

saw gary and mark in atlanta at eddie's attic. great show. wonder why jayhawks don't just reunite?

anyway, gary said that beginning this year all the Jayhawks stuff is being reissued with bonus tracks etc. he also said there is gonna be a box set, live set, dvd, etc. sounds pretty awesome!

saw gary and mark in atlanta at eddie's attic. great show. wonder why jayhawks don't just reunite?

anyway, gary said that beginning this year all the Jayhawks stuff is being reissued with bonus tracks etc. he also said there is gonna be a box set, live set, dvd, etc. sounds pretty awesome!

they're going to be doing a few shows w/ the reunited lineup this summer :)

I wasn't impressed on first listen, but this album is starting to grow on me. It always takes me a while to get used to Mark Olson's vocals on any particular album.

The re-released albums sound promising. My Jayhawks collection is still missing a couple albums, so I'd definitely willing to spend some money in that area.

Going to see the guys tomorrow night here in Columbia Missouri. From recent reviews I'm pretty excited and I enjoy the new record (actually think it could be a great album if you cut two tracks from it). Anyway, are they selling a vinyl copy of the album at the merch table at the shows?

Rick Rubin owns the rights to the name i believe, and so at least if they want to record anything they needs his blessing...and presumably to give him a slice of the pie.

rick rubin owns the name jayhawks...ridiculous!

since seeing them last week, i've been revisiting their music, solo and jayhawks. there's no denying that mark and gary are at their best together. hollywood and tomorrow the green grass are just classic albums up there with any great album of the last 50 years. (except 10 little kids...such a dumb song). smile and sound of lies are just completely different beasts. i personally don't like them at all. hence not a real fan of gary's solo album. mark's creekdipper stuff is fun, but way underproduced and victoria williams is tough to take. now, the new album is okay. some of the songs don't work and it is a really slow album. i really miss gary's electric guitar. he has this awesome mix of clarence white and neil young in his tone. so, i for one, would love to see a new jayhawks album with bass and drums backing up gary on electric and mark on acoustic playing only songs they wrote together...left to their own devices these guys just can't hold it together.

sidenote: rainy day music is pretty good as i think rubin kept louris from going nuts.

sidenote: chris robinson producer???

there's no denying that mark and gary are at their best together. hollywood and tomorrow the green grass are just classic albums up there with any great album of the last 50 years. (except 10 little kids...such a dumb song). smile and sound of lies are just completely different beasts. i personally don't like them at all. hence not a real fan of gary's solo album. mark's creekdipper stuff is fun, but way underproduced and victoria williams is tough to take. now, the new album is okay. some of the songs don't work and it is a really slow album. i really miss gary's electric guitar. he has this awesome mix of clarence white and neil young in his tone. so, i for one, would love to see a new jayhawks album with bass and drums backing up gary on electric and mark on acoustic playing only songs they wrote together...left to their own devices these guys just can't hold it together.

sidenote: rainy day music is pretty good as i think rubin kept louris from going nuts.

I agree with much of what you say. "Hollywood" is perfect. "Green Grass" is perfect, minus about 3 songs.

Sound of Lies is a kind of bizarre mix of songs, but I like it far more than Rainy Day Music. In fact, I might even put "Smile" ahead of RDM.

The Creekdippers' output definitely is a mixed bag.

I'm curious what you don't like off the new record. I agree that it's slow. Some days I just don't feel in the mood to be patient and listen through it. But I only notice a couple stumbles...."Kick the Wood" and the 2 bonus songs do nothing for me. But the rest all have elements of greatness and beauty.

I agree with much of what you say. "Hollywood" is perfect. "Green Grass" is perfect, minus about 3 songs.

Sound of Lies is a kind of bizarre mix of songs, but I like it far more than Rainy Day Music. In fact, I might even put "Smile" ahead of RDM.

The Creekdippers' output definitely is a mixed bag.

I'm curious what you don't like off the new record. I agree that it's slow. Some days I just don't feel in the mood to be patient and listen through it. But I only notice a couple stumbles...."Kick the Wood" and the 2 bonus songs do nothing for me. But the rest all have elements of greatness and beauty.

well, i think you're right about the new album. it definitely requires some attention and it is a grower. good points there. as far as smile and sound of lies, i don't really know why i don't like them. i've tried several times and i just can't get into them. i remember buying sound of lies the day it came out and being so pissed:). smile would have been a bit better for me if it had been more country...whatever that means. so i loved rainy day. really a 'return to form' i guess.

much of my comments about the gary and olson stem from my strengthening belief that some artists are just better in the presence of others. it's quite a mystical thing that lennon and mccartney solo are touch and go, but together they wrote some of the greatest songs of all time. very interesting to me.

side note: the other 'bad' song on tomorrow the green grass is 'bad time'...oh so bad!

as far as smile and sound of lies, i don't really know why i don't like them.

For me, the issue with Sound of Lies is the lyrics. They're horrible.

...which is too bad, because I think that record sounds fantastic.

well, i think you're right about the new album. it definitely requires some attention and it is a grower. good points there. as far as smile and sound of lies, i don't really know why i don't like them. i've tried several times and i just can't get into them. i remember buying sound of lies the day it came out and being so pissed:). smile would have been a bit better for me if it had been more country...whatever that means. so i loved rainy day. really a 'return to form' i guess.

much of my comments about the gary and olson stem from my strengthening belief that some artists are just better in the presence of others. it's quite a mystical thing that lennon and mccartney solo are touch and go, but together they wrote some of the greatest songs of all time. very interesting to me.

side note: the other 'bad' song on tomorrow the green grass is 'bad time'...oh so bad!

"See Him On the Street" and "Anne Jane" are also not on par....I've heard this record so often, I have a routine now of what songs I skip.

I agree about the Lennon/McCartney comparison. I have a sense that Olson (Lennon) writes better pure songs or structurally knows what goes into making a great song. And Louris (McCartney) has the pop sensibility, guitar chops and quirkiness in his song ideas to give songs life. But their ideas seem to work best when together.

For me, the issue with Sound of Lies is the lyrics. They're horrible.

...which is too bad, because I think that record sounds fantastic.

I agree.

Which ALSO fits into the comparison of Louris being the McCartney in the Olson/Louris duo.

Whaaa? Well, that's very interesting. Wonder which version of the lineup?

circa early '95

Gary, Mark, Tim, Karen, Perlman (maybe a few other players, idk)

same as in Spain last fall

i must be one of the few people who find Rainy Day Music as my favorite post-Olson Jayhawks record...

sure Smile & Sound of Lies both have a few amazing songs (Think About It is a top 5 Jayhawks song for me...), but both were inconsistent. RDM maybe doesn't have the highs of those, but the overall sound and flow of it works very well for me. plus i adore Tim O's voice.

circa early '95

Gary, Mark, Tim, Karen, Perlman (maybe a few other players, idk)

same as in Spain last fall

i must be one of the few people who find Rainy Day Music as my favorite post-Olson Jayhawks record...

Oh, yay! It'll be nice to see Karen again.

And I agree on Rainy Day Music, too. Lots of good songs on that record: "Angelyne" "Tailspin" and "Tampa to Tulsa" especially.