U2 CD/DVD/Vinyl Remasters

I'm thrilled now that I know the DVD is going to include Outside Its America. Now I can own that special on something other than VHS (which I think I did a b+p for!). Its an awesome picture of what was going on at that time- all the excitement, huge concerts, etc but juxtaposed with U2 in a dumpy bar in the desert, bono singing in the streets next to abandoned railroad tracks, etc. Thats probably a nightmare for a lot of people but I enjoy it!

The Joshua Tree is my favorite album ever, I used to listen to it every day in junior high... I'm sure I've heard it thousands of times. There is something about it that really captures the american southwest and some kind of escapist spirit.

i have some sort of gold/remastered Unforgettable Fire disc, from what I recall, by the way.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thrilled now that I know the DVD is going to include Outside Its America. Now I can own that special on something other than VHS (which I think I did a b+p for!). Its an awesome picture of what was going on at that time- all the excitement, huge concerts, etc but juxtaposed with U2 in a dumpy bar in the desert, bono singing in the streets next to abandoned railroad tracks, etc. Thats probably a nightmare for a lot of people but I enjoy it!

The Joshua Tree is my favorite album ever, I used to listen to it every day in junior high... I'm sure I've heard it thousands of times. There is something about it that really captures the american southwest and some kind of escapist spirit.

i have some sort of gold/remastered Unforgettable Fire disc, from what I recall, by the way.

Ever notice that the photo on the record sleeve is different than what is on the cd sleeve?

I just remembered that I have a poster from that period - it has a photo of Bono/In God's Country written on it.

I don't think I ever saw that documentary - I did not have TV at the time.

I'll put the first 5 songs on Joshue Tree up against any.
You'd put them up against the first half of War?
I have one of those for War. I don't think it really means anything--it's just some marketing ploy. "Gold plated and 24 bit"

Haven't read the whole thread but I'll re-state that this album is one of a handful (or two) I enjoy listening to all the way through each time.

I don't care about the jewel case or liner note editions but I'm intersted in the demos edition to accompany the re-mastered originals.

I love U2. The first album I bought and really got into was Achtung Baby! back in '91. I went backwards through their catalog from there. I appreciate the way they've experimented and tried on new sounds over the years--they haven't been playing the same thing for 25 years. Plus we had McPhisto, The Fly....

And Bono's voice on Running To Stand Still absolutely cripples me.

You'd put them up against the first half of War?I have one of those for War. I don't think it really means anything--it's just some marketing ploy. "Gold plated and 24 bit"

Gold cds are supposed to be better for sound. I don't think I have ever heard one.

I have Dark Side in gold, but I can't really hear a difference.

I was a huge U2 fan from their very first release through acthung baby. Nothing they did since then has really held my interest. It actually took me some time to get into the Joshua Tree because the unforgetable fire got such a ridiculous amount of airplay I got a burnt out on them. But once I got into it it became one of my all time favorite albums. It really holds up well. That said, I'm not a real fan of rereleased/repackaged albums.

I saw them at the Meadowlands at some point in May 1987. Great show - Bono may have thought he was Jesus, but we all did too. Lone Justice opened up for them.

Music in the 80's defined your social groups - I think more so than with the teens I work with today. There was a Smiths / Cure kinda goth crowd. A few hardcore punks. Some definate denim and leather metal types (Ozzy written on the back of their jean jacket, adorned with band logos and the inevitable recreated Eddie from Iron Maiden). Then U2 and R.E.M. were the bands in high school that first defined you as cool, then crossed over into being something bigger. For me Joshua Tree was grandeur, depth, beauty. So much of their subsequent career has been trying to figure out what to do with the success that album brought. Still, I can put it on and as the washes of echo and reverb drift out of my speakers or headphones, I feel transformed and excited about what portent that song hold, "Where the Streets Have No Name."

I know U2 isn't everyone's cup of tea. I suspect some of the distaste is (admittedly not entirely unustifiable) backlash against Bono's bombasticiscm (Bonobasticism). Some is recognition that the heights of "Josha Tree" can no more be reattained than the swagger of "Exile on Main Street," or the giddy freshness of "Summerteeth." The band(s) have changed, aged, and their musical pulse along with them. All of that is fine by me. Folks can dump on U2 all they want, but that doesn't take away that "Joshua Tree" holds great richness, depth, and resonance for me, and I believe always will.

Speaking of richness, depth, and resonance, I think "Joshua Tree" is actually deserving of better CD matering that the silver disc I've had for the last 20 years (and yes, I really have been buying CD's for that long). I can put on "Joshua Tree" next to almost any other CD I own, and "Joshua Tree" sounds quiter. I hear just how much quieter when the next disc comes up and knocks me out of my seat. Louder may not be better, but I think they were playing with so much sonic space that I'm excited to dream about what new sounds might be waiting for me to discover. And if really all I'm buying with the resiusse is the demos and rarities and DVD documentary . . . I guess I just don't care. There has been some phenomenal bonus material on each issuing of Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True." I'm looking forward to hearing what the Counting Crows sounded like live in 1987 or 1988 before they became a ROCK band, when the acoustic guitar was still such a big part of their sound. And the 1 CD 2 DVD box set I bought of Springsteens "Born To Run" contains what has been one of the most goose-bump inducing live performances I've ever had a chance to watch on my telelvsion. That revolutionized Springsteen for me. Your milage may vary, but those bonus goodies for me have more often than not been worth the price of admission. The "remastered" album is a bonus.

And if there's ever any doubt - when the 20th anniversary remastered editions with bonus whatevers come out for any of Wilco's ourve, I'll be in line to buy them too. Cause I bet there are still some great goodies we haven't heard.

Ian

Then U2 and R.E.M. were the bands in high school that first defined you as cool, then crossed over into being something bigger.

I'm probably reading this part incorrectly, but it sounds like you're saying people who listened to REM and U2 were cool while the previously mentioned groups weren't. Which would be a silly thing to say.

Music in the 80's defined your social groups - I think more so than with the teens I work with today. There was a Smiths / Cure kinda goth crowd. A few hardcore punks. Some definate denim and leather metal types (Ozzy written on the back of their jean jacket, adorned with band logos and the inevitable recreated Eddie from Iron Maiden). Then U2 and R.E.M. were the bands in high school that first defined you as cool, then crossed over into being something bigger. For me Joshua Tree was grandeur, depth, beauty. So much of their subsequent career has been trying to figure out what to do with the success that album brought. Still, I can put it on and as the washes of echo and reverb drift out of my speakers or headphones, I feel transformed and excited about what portent that song hold, "Where the Streets Have No Name."

I know U2 isn't everyone's cup of tea. I suspect some of the distaste is (admittedly not entirely unustifiable) backlash against Bono's bombasticiscm (Bonobasticism). Some is recognition that the heights of "Josha Tree" can no more be reattained than the swagger of "Exile on Main Street," or the giddy freshness of "Summerteeth." The band(s) have changed, aged, and their musical pulse along with them. All of that is fine by me. Folks can dump on U2 all they want, but that doesn't take away that "Joshua Tree" holds great richness, depth, and resonance for me, and I believe always will.

Speaking of richness, depth, and resonance, I think "Joshua Tree" is actually deserving of better CD matering that the silver disc I've had for the last 20 years (and yes, I really have been buying CD's for that long). I can put on "Joshua Tree" next to almost any other CD I own, and "Joshua Tree" sounds quiter. I hear just how much quieter when the next disc comes up and knocks me out of my seat. Louder may not be better, but I think they were playing with so much sonic space that I'm excited to dream about what new sounds might be waiting for me to discover. And if really all I'm buying with the resiusse is the demos and rarities and DVD documentary . . . I guess I just don't care. There has been some phenomenal bonus material on each issuing of Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True." I'm looking forward to hearing what the Counting Crows sounded like live in 1987 or 1988 before they became a ROCK band, when the acoustic guitar was still such a big part of their sound. And the 1 CD 2 DVD box set I bought of Springsteens "Born To Run" contains what has been one of the most goose-bump inducing live performances I've ever had a chance to watch on my telelvsion. That revolutionized Springsteen for me. Your milage may vary, but those bonus goodies for me have more often than not been worth the price of admission. The "remastered" album is a bonus.

And if there's ever any doubt - when the 20th anniversary remastered editions with bonus whatevers come out for any of Wilco's ourve, I'll be in line to buy them too. Cause I bet there are still some great goodies we haven't heard.

Ian

You have a point there - I did not listen to any new bands except U2 until maybe 1985 - when I began listening to nothing but metal. After that, I went back to the "old stuff" - which is where I always return. I was never really a part of any social group in school or out for that matter.

I'm probably reading this part incorrectly, but it sounds like you're saying people who listened to REM and U2 were cool while the previously mentioned groups weren't. Which would be a silly thing to say.

Hmm. I wouldn't say you're reading incorrectly, but I think it indicates I wrote incorrectly. Or at least incoherently. It was still early.

My perception was any of the bands I mentioned were "cool" to their respective crowds, as were REM and U2. Just REM and U2 got 'big' and their fanbase expanded far beyond their initial 'hipper' appeal but REM and U2 still could be respected as musicians, while some of the other pop stars were . . . well . . . Tiffany. :)

If I weren't lazy, I'd edit my orignal post. Good call.

Ian

i actually got what he was saying as it described my HS to a tee, except the perceived cool kids listened to REM and U2...the ones that were already going to college parties before they were in college, etc. i actually listened to it all...my stereo's nightly playlist could have consisted of the cure, anthrax, naked raygun, REM...in that order.

i actually got what he was saying as it described my HS to a tee, except the perceived cool kids listened to REM and U2...the ones that were already going to college parties before they were in college, etc. i actually listened to it all...my stereo's nightly playlist could have consisted of the cure, anthrax, naked raygun, REM...in that order.

it might have had something to do with my school's population being >75% black, but none of the cool kids listened to U2 or REM.

How can people not like U2

I never really got them. There were a couple tunes I kind of liked, I guess, but that whole bit about The Edge and his appregios--yeah, that got old to me. I remember liking the Rattle & Hum album, which always got me a sneer from U2 fans, so I think that killed any interest I had.

I wish I could say that I had refined tastes at that age and was quick to detect their bloated, saurian nature which was to be more developed later...but at the time was probably just too busy listening to Cinderella and Great White.

I never really got them. There were a couple tunes I kind of liked, I guess, but that whole bit about The Edge and his appregios--yeah, that got old to me. I remember liking the Rattle & Hum album, which always got me a sneer from U2 fans, so I think that killed any interest I had.

I wish I could say that I had refined tastes at that age and was quick to detect their bloated, saurian nature which was to be more developed later...but at the time was probably just too busy listening to Cinderella and Great White.

You are not listening to it right.

it might have had something to do with my school's population being >75% black, but none of the cool kids listened to U2 or REM.

:lol yeah, that would change things a little bit. we had two high schools in town...i did not go to the 'black one'. we had maybe 10 black kids in my graduating class. still listened to a lot of hip hop too though.

I saw them at the Meadowlands at some point in May 1987. Great show - Bono may have thought he was Jesus, but we all did too. Lone Justice opened up for them.

So there was a reunion weekend in my hood (around Sept 22nd this year), and Ryan Hedgecock from Lone Justice showed to one of the gatherings. He was a couple years behind in school. Anyway it got me to searching around and I found a Lone Justice c.d. from 99' with with reissued stuff plus unreleased stuff and there was a Maria McKee/Bono duet on "Sweet Jane" from one of those U2, Lone Justice tours . . .

I think that L.J. c.d also has a track with some dude named Bob playin harmonica, not singing, just playing harp . . .

Bob Dylan er sommin like that, I dunno . . .