"What If?" Session 1.

I noticed a video of Andrew Bird playing with Wilco in Detroit, and Tweedy said as they began their first encore, "we welcome back our 7th member" (this [scroll down a bit] video of Jesus, etc. is PROOF)

Which got me thinking...

How FREAKING SWEET would it be if Andrew Bird joined Wilco, even if only for an album? Firstly he's not really a member to begin with, but still. In theory, this sounds drooling-over-the-keyboard awesome. Granted, it's probably not practical, but seriously. It would be psycho-crazy-awesome.

So? What does everyone else think?

I noticed a video of Andrew Bird playing with Wilco in Detroit, and Tweedy said as they began their first encore, "we welcome back our 7th member" (this [scroll down a bit] video of Jesus, etc. is PROOF)

Which got me thinking...

How FREAKING SWEET would it be if Andrew Bird joined Wilco, even if only for an album? Firstly he's not really a member to begin with, but still. In theory, this sounds drooling-over-the-keyboard awesome. Granted, it's probably not practical, but seriously. It would be psycho-crazy-awesome.

So? What does everyone else think?

Well, if all he was gonna do was play fiddle, and sing background vocals, I'm not too sure. It would be a huge waste of talent. It would be like getting Jim James, just to be a back-up singer. But if it was more of a split, like the band playing some of his songs it would be pretty sweet.

Why would Andrew Bird being a hypothetical 7th Wilco member stop his solo career?

Does Nels have a solo career? Yes.

John and Pat? Yes.

Glenn? Yes.

Mikael? Yes.

They all have solo careers -- and so does Tweedy when he's on the road with his own solo shows.

It could be a very interesting direction for Wilco. I was completely stunned by what he added in those 4 songs in Detroit. I say YES!

I love both bands/musicians. I think Andrew Bird's material is amazing...but it's his material. I don't think Wilco and Bird's artistic styles would suit each other from a songwriting point of view. Armchair Apocrypha vs. Sky Blue Sky -- two very different sounds, IMO.

I really like Wilco just as it is. It's like adding one stroke too many to a painting...even if it's a really lovely stroke (and Bird is), it can still mess up the painting.

I don't know, taking unseemly detours can be interesting or disasterous. However, there's some things that can make you turn an ear and go 'huh!'. Sometimes those moments are great experiments. I haven't heard this guy, but the reception live seems to be a good one, so at least there's chemistry. As much as an idea can be great on paper, it may not always play out great and can make things unfun. However, it seems like these guys are having fun together. Having fun can be contagious.