"What If?" Session 1.

I'm all about seeing them together from time to time. Bird is right up there with Wilco in my top five favorite current artists. I'm just opposed to any kind of full force changes to the band. I think they've got enough badass chemistry just as they are. Also, I wasn't at any of these shows, but the Bird with Wilco video someone so kindly posted doesn't really portray a lot of Bird+Wilco onstage chemistry to me. Maybe it was different for those in the crowd, but for me it was pure awesomeness just to see these two acts that I adore together, more of a novelty thing then an actual "Wow. They are really flowing together up there!" kind of thing.

I don't agree with either of you.

seriously, what does "wasting talent" even mean? no one suggeted andrew bird stop writing songs, stop overthinking things, andrew bird in wilco would be fucking awesome and there are no reasons to deny things like that.

Cons:

-Andrew Bird has a better voice than Tweedy. Why would you want someone who can sing better than you in your band when they aren't going to be the one singing. It doesn't make sense.

-Andrew Bird is a fantastic songwriter in his own right and I'd rather him spend time out in his Illinois barn working on and developing his own stuff. A little collaboration with Wilco would be fine, but a full time member? That's crazy talk.

-Why don't we see what this current fantastic lineup could do before trying to add more pieces to the puzzle.

Pros:

-Andrew Bird is a huge talent. Could be utilized in many ways.

-Chicago/Illinois based, close to Jeff.

-Wilco would be the band with the most talent on Earth.

Why would Andrew Bird being a hypothetical 7th Wilco member stop his solo career?

Does Nels have a solo career? Yes.

John and Pat? Yes.

Glenn? Yes.

Mikael? Yes.

They all have solo careers -- and so does Tweedy when he's on the road with his own solo shows.

It could be a very interesting direction for Wilco. I was completely stunned by what he added in those 4 songs in Detroit. I say YES!

being a full time member of a band would definitely take away from other solo stuff or work with other bands and musicians. especially with wilco. If Bird was in Wilco it would definitely take away from his solo works. Wilco is constantly touring and making albums it really is amazing how they have enough time to do work by themselves and other projects. If wilco disbanded we would see tons more stuff from all those guys through other projects.

Cons:

-Andrew Bird has a better voice than Tweedy. Why would you want someone who can sing better than you in your band when they aren't going to be the one singing. It doesn't make sense.

Apples and oranges, I say.

-Wilco would be the band with the most talent on Earth.
True. Heck, I think they already are the most talented band in the Universe. It's not just Jeff...they are all amazing dudes.

I hate to be the one to say it, but I can't believe that nobody has entertained the possibility that this could mean that one of the current members of Wilco could be on their way out. I'm not saying I want that, or that it's inevitible, but there is a weeeeee bit of a history for such an occurence.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I hate to be the one to say it, but I can't believe that nobody has entertained the possibility that this could mean that one of the current members of Wilco could be on their way out. I'm not saying I want that, or that it's inevitible, but there is a weeeeee bit of a history for such an occurence.

I hope I'm wrong though.

True, very sad, but true none the less. I heard all of the the ex-members of Wilco are getting together to form The Polyphonic Spree 2. :stunned

Considering that Wilco has had so many shifts in lineup over the years, I don't think it would be a bad thing for Bird to contribute. I think the shifts in personnel might be one of the things that has allowed Wilco's sound to grow and evolve. This could be the next evolution.

A.B. has been in a lot of bands. When I saw him in April, he played with a full band. Opening for Wilco last week, he was solo. He was in Squirrel Nut Zippers, then Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire before starting his current band and doing the one-man-band stuff. He's got a long and varied history, like Wilco.

I think they suit each other, and I'm definitely interested in seeing what they might create together.

Not sure if anything beyond the tour is realistically going to come out of this but adding a violin and another multi-instrumentalist to the band's sound could be interesting. During the YHF tour Jessy Greene, who also plays violin, would often join the band in their Minneapolis dates and she also plays on the version of Jesus, etc. from the Leno show in 2003. She's also on several tracks on the Down With Wilco album.

--Mike