10/20/07 Charlottesville

Holy crap! I hope they bust that out at one of the Chicago-area holiday shows whose existence currently has no basis in fact, yet people continue to speculate about because they want it to be true!

:lol I was like, "Omg, was a show announced--oh, hahahaha...."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on dude, you saw a 2 1/2 hour tour ender and 98% of your review was about the crowd? sure it sucks but that's been happening at GA shows since before we were born.

in greg's defense...i was standing in the exact same place and it was one of the most obnoxious concert experiences i've ever had. this was my 2nd time seeing wilco at the charlottesville pavilion and the show was ruined by drunken assholes both times...and it's not just general admission shows...this was my 8th wilco show...7 of which were general admission..and the only 2 to have crowd problems...charlottesville...and the problems have not just offended and irritated myself but also the many people standing around or near me...i even went as far as to complain to someone after the show...after a nice discussion, she admitted that she had never thought about it that way and what i was saying completely made sense...whether or not this was just lip service to get me to shut up, she said i should send an email to the general manager of the pavilion..his name is kirby...i urge anyone else who had problems last night or at the previous show (as most people i talked with agreed they had the same problem at the last wilco show or at another show at the pavilion) to send the general manager an email asking them to put barricades at the front of the venue or increased security. the lack of a barricade not only causes a problem with pushing, shoving, and all around douchebag tendencies of people who like to cut up to the front halfway through the show...but people that get there early can't see anything as the stage is so tall, standing up front makes visibility next to nothing...however, venue problems aside...

i thought the show was good...i agree that it was a slow builder at the beginning, but the last half was absolutely fantastic. pat was pretty hilarious the whole show and the band seemed to be in good spirits...i can't wait for more shows next year.

ps..greg..i'm assuming i was standing next to you during the show from your description... i was the guy in the blue and grey shirt...thanks for your ass kicking to help all around you enjoy the show

Hey there again everyone, sorry about the whole knocking the jerk into people part, but I was at rope's end and snapped a bit. Yeah I talked to several of you, as did my girlfriend. She left during "Walken" to talk to a security guard about the first group that we're drinking out of the flask and carrying on,a nd the security guard said that there wasn't anything that could be done about it, and that all they were there for was to keep people off of the stage. That's a pretty weird thing for security to say and furthermore, they didn't even do that as a kid jumped up on the stage and grabbed a setlist between encores. It was just all far too distracting from the show, especially during the encores. Take care and see you'll next tiem around, Greg.

I was about 6 "rows" back, center stage. I didn't have any problems with the crowd where I was. From my vantage point, the crowd was loving the whole show, and it truly was the best Wilco show I've seen (out of about 8 or so). I thought it was even better than the last Charlottesville Pavilion show, which held my top spot previously. It sucks that some assholes ruined it for some people, but I think the vast majority of the crowd enjoyed a great show. I disagree that the set was a slow builder; I thought the band had a ton of energy from the beginning. This was my first SBS show, and the new songs really come across well live.

wow, what a tremendous show we had! from the crisp fall breeze to a set list woven from the sky above, saturday evening in charlottesville was really special, a celebration. highlights included jeff on opener sunken treasure (crystalline!), it's just that simple (john's voice is just beautiful), hoodoo voodoo (we lucked out), adorable hummingbird dancing (jeff and a younger audience member), the ever-talented palette of nels, glenn, mike, and pat (so fun to watch), and wilco's amazing accomplishment of touring the states so thoroughly and commitedly for sky blue sky since spring. do tune in: such a rockin' capstone for this album's fulfilling creations and blissful connections this year! a very hearty congratulations and dear thank you, wilco; we love you!

before via chicago someone a few rows behind me yelled "play some rock n roll you douche" i prolly would've hit him if i were directly in front of him

and wtf happened to via chicago, the drum/guitar thing is so damn loud you can't even hear the vocals; it pissed me off at bonnaroo too did they always do it like that live?

great show though

and wtf happened to via chicago, the drum/guitar thing is so damn loud you can't even hear the vocals; it pissed me off at bonnaroo too did they always do it like that live?

I can't remember when they started doing that, but sometime if you're walking around the streets of Chicago and the el goes overhead, it will all make sense.

cfiles20081.jpg

It should be mentioned that the Heartless Bastards put on a really fine opening set.

Definitely will be checking more of their material out in the future.

This was a really good show. But I've seen and heard them tighter. They never did quite get Nels high enough in the mix all night. John's playing was on fire pretty much all evening though.

Because I know what the guys look like and am no big fan of fighting drunken A-holes to be up front, my guest and I sat in the folding chairs toward the back of the pavillion (behind the soundboard and the almost completely empty "reserved seating" section). The sound back there was clear and loud and just plain awesome. I didn't encounter any A-holes at all. There were lots of families with little kids and everyone seemed to be having a good time in the back with the kiddos dancing and generally being maniacs. It was high energy and fun without any hassles.

It was my guest's first time live Wilco experience and she had a blast, too. I think I enjoyed the Merriweather show a little more, but all-in-all, still a great time.

BTW, earlier in the day we vistied Monticello and it was pretty cool except for the fact that we got there at around 11:30 and our scheduled time to tour the house wasn't until 3:20 p.m. Plus, we took the advice given here and did the walk up instead of the shuttle bus and it was worth it to stop and see TJ's grave.

Anyway,

dcd

Then Wilco launched into the most ridiclous encores I've seen since the first show In Asheville in spring '03.
:worship

That's the first thing I thought. I liked the encores at Merriweather this year. The Asheville show 5/1/2003 was my first show as well and is a frequent flier in my CD player. :dancing

I've seen this band 10 times live now and 2 Tweedy solo shows and I have been blessed to see 3 three encore shows. Asheville 2003, Merriweater post 2007, and the other night here in C'ville. I'm a lucky dude :yay

It should be mentioned that the Heartless Bastards put on a really fine opening set.

Definitely will be checking more of their material out in the future.

That was the last show for the Heartless Bastards (are you sure that was the name of the opening band?). Anywho, they broke up. We were lucky enough to hang out with them and from what I gathered from the bass player it went something to the effect of, "You can continue to check out Erica (lead singer) playing at a stadium near you. You can catch me playing in little (I can't remember the city) Ohio." When John walked by on his way to the bus, he stopped by Erica and said, "Nice job...you have an amazing voice." The bass player went to step up and shake his hand, but John was in a hurry and didn't see him because he had already turned to leave. The bass player said mockingly, "You have such a nice voice...I'm only the bass player for the band." He seemed a little bitter about the whole thing. I think his name was Mike, but anyway, he had a fun, sarcastic sense of humor and my husband, Lilac Rain and I really enjoyed hanging out/talking to them.

That was the last show for the Heartless Bastards (are you sure that was the name of the opening band?). Anywho, they broke up.

Yes - they were the Heartless Bastards (http://www.theheartlessbastards.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio (Erika is originally from Dayton). I'm sad they've broken up. Opening for Wilco the other night was the 2nd time I've seen them play and they were great both times.

I really enjoyed the Charlottesville show and agree with all of the positive reviews. I've seen numerous Wilco shows over the years and that was (so far) one of my favorites - until the next great one of course. I wish I hadn't read that "Box Full of Letters" was on the setlist! I had been content with the show but am now thinking "man! That would've made it PERFECT!" Isn't that always the case?

As for the a-holes - I have to agree with (some of) those comments. To be fair, I was surrounded by a lot of great people (as is typical at Wilco shows) and only a handful of jerks. One group of college kids, which started out as 4 multiplied right before Wilco went on to more than 10. That is obnoxious. If you want to be up front, get there early (ALL OF YOUR GROUP). They pretty much behaved themselves during the show - much to my delight. I had an issue with 2 girls who decided to hump my leg in order to get me to move out of their way so they could move about 2 feet and stand in front of me. One finally decided (when the humping attempts weren't working) to shove the crap out of me to get me out of her way and unfortunately the shove was hard enough to spill my beer all over . What a shame. People aren't supposed to shove and push at Wilco shows. It just seems so out of context to me. As a 5'2" female, it is really irritating to have people push and shove to get right in front of me and then just stand there and block my view. All in all, they were very minor issues and were quickly forgotten once Wilco took the stage. It was a great show and the crowd was really into it and very energetic.

It was great to see Lilac Rain dance with Jeff once again to "Hummingbird" - it's always a highlight of the night for me. It's fun to see the band so happily interact with a child... There wasn't a face in the crowd without a smile. Very heart-warming.

Can't wait for the next tour!

you know with a couple days to think about it, I still really loved the Charlottesville show. Sure, while basking in the post show glow we all think we just saw the best show ever played. In this case, it probably wasn't *the* best I have seen out of 30+ Wilco, 3 Uncle Tupelo & 4-5 Tweedy solo but certainly the longest and in the top few I have seen. As the show started with a beautiful Sunken Treasure I thought what other band would (or could) pull one of the slowest songs in their catalogue to open a general admission, open floor show with a boisterous crowd & then just nail it like that! Jeff seemed to serve notice that he was gonna own the crowd & you could hear a pin drop as Nels started filling in the spaces with the lap steel near the end. Things were a little loose here & there for a while afterwards but the band was clearly having fun & digging a very appreciative crowd. Not the best or most lively Handshake I have heard but it was crisp and for once the set didn't need that song to be a anchor. Impossible Germany picked up steam afterwards, and once we got past Hummingbird (which has always been the pee break song for me) I thought the momentum picked up & stayed that way through the end. For me the 2nd encore took it from a good show to a great one and coming back out for Spiders when they had already played almost 2 1/2 hours sealed it.

Maybe others had or have different expectations but all of mine were met & exceeded. I also think where you see a show from has a lot to do with how you perceive it. I know plenty of people really want to be up front against the stage but I personally have never understood why. Its one of the worst places for the sound since you are generally hearing small fill speakers planted down front instead of the actual PA system that Stan is dialing in. Likewise you don't get a full visual appreciation for all of the interaction between all of the band on stage and I think you lose some of the "feel" for the show. I also think you have to expect the liklihood or at least the potential for hassles down that close. All the signs were there: You're in a spot (ie: closest to the band) that lots of other people want to be in, its a Sat. night, an outdoor amphitheater with no seats, an open floor & GA seating, a college town, etc.......... We taped from about 25 feet back dead center and had no assholes around us, just a racous but appreciative crowd.

Ok, here's a few pics

DSC03523.JPG

Wilco10-201.jpg

Wilco10-202.jpg

Wilco10-203.jpg

Wilco10-205.jpg

that's weird about the Heartless Bastards breaking up. Something tells me that's just some normal band frustration & give & take instead of a true break up. They have dates still listed & lasy Fall put out there 2nd consequitive well reviewed album on Fat Possum. They have had a nice run this year opening for Lucinda Williams, Hold Steady & Wilco in addition to their own club tours

that's weird about the Heartless Bastards breaking up. Something tells me that's just some normal band frustration & give & take instead of a true break up. They have dates still listed & lasy Fall put out there 2nd consequitive well reviewed album on Fat Possum. They have had a nice run this year opening for Lucinda Williams, Hold Steady & Wilco in addition to their own club tours

All I know is what I was told by the bassist. My husband was like, "I really dig your stuff, man." and he said, "Oh...well that's great! This was our last show." When we were talking after the show, Erica said that the break up was "complicated", but that it could probably be simplified. There seemed to be a disagreement about that issue.

here's a question: what was up with the special "Meet & Greet" tickets you had to buy to meet the band after the show? i've never seen shit like that at a Wilco show...it was always just: make your way to the bus, wait around and the band was extremely gracious. we went out to the buses after the show and were promptly turned away...

-justin

Hey Julie and the "Rain" family...

I'll be posting some pics back here later tonight of Lilac's moment on stage. I didn't get many, but I squeezed off a good, tight shot of Lilac singing with Jeff that I'm quite proud of, considering I was using a point-and-shoot.

I'm still reeling after that show. What a magical, magical evening. It will not soon be forgotten by this long-time fan.

cheers,

kevin

here's a question: what was up with the special "Meet & Greet" tickets you had to buy to meet the band after the show? i've never seen shit like that at a Wilco show...it was always just: make your way to the bus, wait around and the band was extremely gracious. we went out to the buses after the show and were promptly turned away...

-justin

Where did you hear something like that? Is it really true? I'm with you...I've never heard anything about that. I only purchased general admission tickets for my family.

Thought I would get my feet wet on this one. I thought the show was excellent, but far from best or epic. I actually thought the crowd stuck with all the new tunes pretty well. Show as long and they rocked out harder than normal. As far as the drunks go, welcome to a GA show in a college town. Just part of the deal...

Hey Julie and the "Rain" family...

I'll be posting some pics back here later tonight of Lilac's moment on stage. I didn't get many, but I squeezed off a good, tight shot of Lilac singing with Jeff that I'm quite proud of, considering I was using a point-and-shoot.

I'm still reeling after that show. What a magical, magical evening. It will not soon be forgotten by this long-time fan.

cheers,

kevin

Hey Kevin!!

It was a fabulous night, wasn't it? I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

PM heading your way!