Manchester UK show is cancelled...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just registered to say that this sucks so much and there better be (1) a darned good reason and (2) some rescheduled dates soon.

Wilco haven't played any regional UK gigs since 2004 (discounting the lone Nottingham date in 2005) so needless to say those of us not living in the capital have missed out for 3 long years. Europe on the other hand has had a multitude of dates in the last three years - what have Wilco got against us Brits?

Refunds are fine but what about refunding credit card charges and postal costs in returning tickets (they advise sending tickets back by secure recorded post). Sure its only a few quid but still bad news for the UK fans. Who's going to repay those amounts?

What has happened to the band that has always been so giving and generous? Does that band exist any more? Do they not care about their British fans? We all know JT had a issue with London crowds at one point but I thought all was forgiven? Plus that was London - there's plenty of love out in the provinces, always has been.

Very very very disappointed that 'scheduling conflicts' proves UK fans come way way down at the bottom of the list of Wilco priorities these days.

What has happened to the band that has always been so giving and generous? Does that band exist any more? Do they not care about their British fans?

Man, I know you are upset, but geeez. I'm sure we will get more info on why they cancelled the dates. And they still are one of the most generous bands around. This incident doesn't erase how good to their fans they have always been.

Man, I know you are upset, but geeez. I'm sure we will get more info on why they cancelled the dates. And they still are one of the most generous bands around. This incident doesn't erase how good to their fans they have always been.

We've been waiting three and a half long years for these dates. We've been passed over (literally as whatever plane flew the band to the various German/Belgium/French/Spanish gigs must have flown over the UK) on multiple occasions for seemingly no reason. I've seen the reports on the hundreds of gigs they've done in the last few years, revisiting places in the US many times over. I've bought every CD, extolled the virtues of the band to everyone I know who owns a pair of ears. I got insanely excited about these UK gigs, more than anyone with any sense should have done.

And now nothing. Not even a proper explanation or apology from Wilco HQ. My faith in and love for Wilco is badly shaken. I thought better of them.

Very very very disappointed that 'scheduling conflicts' proves UK fans come way way down at the bottom of the list of Wilco priorities these days.

Would you feel better if you knew that one of the band members was sick or something? 'Cause that'd be the same situation as this in terms of the lost fees and stuff.

I'm sure they'll reschedule the cancelled dates as soon as possible. Remember, Winnipeg also got some bad luck when Nels was sick earlier this year so you guys aren't the only ones. I know that the band takes cancelling any dates very seriously and that they wouldn't do it if there wasn't a good reason for it. :thumbup

Maybe this will make you guys think twice before you try taxation without representation!

But seriously, sorry about the shows, guys!

LOL! I almost spit my water out all over my screen...its even funnier because I'm on here to avoid typing my essay on the America Revolution.

Scheduling conflicts, very curious...but as others said, thank goodness no one is sick.

I think it's easier to "give 'em a break" when you've had the opportunity to see them recently. Not long ago someone said that just when she thinks she's kind of "over it," she sees Wilco live and is reminded why she loves the band so much. So imagine you've been Wilco-less for 3 yrs, they're finally coming back, you've got your tickets, and then the gig is cancelled with less than two weeks notice. Add to that "scheduling conflicts" and it's easy to see how one could feel bitter. Of course no one *wants* anyone to be sick, but when a show's already been scheduled for months, it's hard to understand what "scheduling conflicts" means. It's a heartbreaker all around. I'm sure the band had to do it for whatever reasons, but they also have to expect some really, really sad (and angry) fans. I hope they make it right for all of you! :cheers I had tix for the Duluth show and couldn't make the rescheduled date, but I know it's different because they make many appearances in the US and my region. ALL the UK shows were cancelled.

And am I the only relieved it wasn't for an appearance on SNL?

What has happened to the band that has always been so giving and generous? Does that band exist any more? Do they not care about their British fans? We all know JT had a issue with London crowds at one point but I thought all was forgiven? Plus that was London - there's plenty of love out in the provinces, always has been.

Your post shows plenty of love, caring and generosity towards the band. Especially since you obviously couldn't be bothered to travel a few miles to see one of the various London shows over the past years. Devoted fan, for sure.

Oh and great introduction post too :thumbup You're gonna make loads of friends on here with your attitude.

Your post shows plenty of love, caring and generosity towards the band. Especially since you obviously couldn't be bothered to travel a few miles to see one of the various London shows over the past years. Devoted fan, for sure.

Oh and great introduction post too :thumbup You're gonna make loads of friends on here with your attitude.

Can't be bothered? I wish that were the case. Unfortunately not all of us can afford to buy gig tickets, plus the

I think it's easier to "give 'em a break" when you've had the opportunity to see them recently. Not long ago someone said that just when she thinks she's kind of "over it," she sees Wilco live and is reminded why she loves the band so much. So imagine you've been Wilco-less for 3 yrs, they're finally coming back, you've got your tickets, and then the gig is cancelled with less than two weeks notice. Add to that "scheduling conflicts" and it's easy to see how one could feel bitter. Of course no one *wants* anyone to be sick, but when a show's already been scheduled for months, it's hard to understand what "scheduling conflicts" means. It's a heartbreaker all around. I'm sure the band had to do it for whatever reasons, but they also have to expect some really, really sad (and angry) fans. I hope they make it right for all of you! :cheers I had tix for the Duluth show and couldn't make the rescheduled date, but I know it's different because they make many appearances in the US and my region. ALL the UK shows were cancelled.

And am I the only relieved it wasn't for an appearance on SNL?

I think that this is an excellent post that describes how many of us are feeling. Very well said!

It would be one thing if it was down to a band members' illness, but 'scheduling conflicts'?!?! These dates have been scheduled for months, and to call it off less than two weeks and give a poor excuse such as scheduling conflicts is just not acceptable...by any band, Wilco or not. We aren't even talking about a date or two, but all the tour dates throughout the country. :ohwell

Yeah, given how incredibly far it is from Birmingham to London, I can see your point. :rolleyes

So you need the band to reschedule their gigs according to your personal money/time circumstances in order for them to restore your faith in themselves? How absolutely bizzare.

I think that this is an excellent post that describes how many of us are feeling. Very well said!

It would be one thing if it was down to a band members' illness, but 'scheduling conflicts'?!?! These dates have been scheduled for months, and to call it off less than two weeks and give a poor excuse such as scheduling conflicts is just not acceptable...by any band, Wilco or not. We aren't even talking about a date or two, but all the tour dates throughout the country. :ohwell

Ditto - it seems very short notice so I wonder what's come up. It's gotta be something big...

Pillowy Star, do you mind not trying to antagonize people who just had a gig cancelled on them for no valid reason without the promise of it being re-scheduled? It's really bad form, from both you and Wilco

As I said yesterday it is a pisser when gigs are cancelled. Take it from someone who works in a live muisc venue that any cancellation at short notice takes a while to filter through to all the various people involved in making an event happen.

On a side note, I also had tickets for the Decemberists show in Glasgow that was pulled 2 weeks ago - only three days before the gig - and the agency (Ticketweb) were very good at informing me that a) it was off B) I would get an immediate refund and c) a telephone call to confirm that my refund had been processed. I find it shocking that some agencies are looking for their cutomers to send back tickets at their own expense. What the hell do you pay the booking fee for - service??

I'm a lot happier today that Wilcoworld have announced that the other gigs are still on as I bought tix for Dublin before Newcastle, but I sympathise with the rest of you. I have a feeling though that they will reschedule for the regions. BTW If they haven't played the regions since 2004 - how come I saw them in Glasgow in July??

Pillowy Star, do you mind not trying to antagonize people who just had a gig cancelled on them for no valid reason without the promise of it being re-scheduled? It's really bad form, from both you and Wilco

I see my mistake. You're right. It's a way better form for both those people to accuse the band of not appreciating their UK fans (after xxxxx shows they played there over the past years), and for the band to randomly cancel various UK gigs only to annoy their devoted UK fans. I'm sure they had no important reason whatsoever and are wetting themselves laughing now about how they deliberately fooled their fans for no other reason than their own fun.

My bad :)

I see my mistake. You're right. It's a way better form for both those people to accuse the band of not appreciating their UK fans (after xxxxx shows they played there over the past years), and for the band to randomly cancel various UK gigs only to annoy their devoted UK fans. I'm sure they had no important reason whatsoever and are wetting themselves laughing now about how they deliberately fooled their fans for no other reason than their own fun.

My bad :)

It is your bad . One of the reasons people are so annoyed is that there has been no good reason they've cancelled their gigs and unless you're the 7th member of Wilco I don't see how you can assume there was a perfectly good reason considering none has been mentioned. Also, as the Brits have pointed out, it's not so much for lack of gigs in the UK, it's lack of regional gigs. How would you like if they just played Washington and let the rest of the country down? I'm from Ireland and the last time they played here is 4 years ago and the last time they played regional England was 2003 aswell, and that was a one-off gig in one place. Not exactly appreciating their fans outside of London, let alone in the other FOUR COUNTRIES in the British Isles

the agency (Ticketweb) were very good at informing me that a) it was off B) I would get an immediate refund and c) a telephone call to confirm that my refund had been processed

Out of interest, did you have to ring up Ticketweb re the refund, or return the tickets? I booked via Ticketweb and did get an automated message from them about 24hrs before the Decemberists show saying it was cancelled, but I've had no confirmation of a refund (would be helpful iro Wilco also) - not sure if I need to do anything (I think the message said that my card would be automatically refunded - but I was to busy cursing the cancellation to hear it properly :lol ).

Pillowy Star - not everyone can make London shows. As mentioned, I have a young family, so never mind the expense issue, I can't take 24hrs 'off' just to see a gig (even if it is Wilco). Besides, I've travelled cross-country in my younger days to see them. Now of course, that doesn't mean Wilco should arrange dates just to suit me, but it does make it very disappointing when having done so, they cancel (and with little in the way of a proper explaination).

I was looking forward to seeing Wilco and The White Stripes, and now they're both cancelled.

What pisses me off is how you lose money each time. You're supposed to return the tickets 'securely' which amounts to 2 lots of postage each time (first time when you buy the tickets, then again to send them back). Someone, apart from the customer, should forfeit those charges. The agency overcharges anyway.... ever get the feeling you're being shat on?

and 'scheduling conflict'?? is a bit poor. What happened, did someone double book a dentist appointment or something?

My last 2 cts in here: That the band didn't give a "proper explanation" for the cancellations (which would of course not be a proper explanation in everyone's opinion, so they'd have to give out at least 10 different explanations to cover all possible explanations that their fans might accept) doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't got a very good one, or that they found it easy to cancel those gigs, or that they did it just to show their complete lack of appreciation of their wide-all-over-the-UK-mainland-spread fans.

I totally understand the disappointment of those who had tickets, but I do not understand them having a go at a band that has given more to their fans than any other band I've ever ben in touch with.

*over and out*

My last 2 cts in here: That the band didn't give a "proper explanation" for the cancellations (which would of course not be a proper explanation in everyone's opinion, so they'd have to give out at least 10 different explanations to cover all possible explanations that their fans might accept) doesn't necessarily mean that they haven't got a very good one, or that they found it easy to cancel those gigs, or that they did it just to show their complete lack of appreciation of their wide-all-over-the-UK-mainland-spread fans.

I totally understand the disappointment of those who had tickets, but I do not understand them having a go at a band that has given more to their fans than any other band I've ever ben in touch with.

*over and out*

it would help if the band gave an understandable reason. There's a week to go for some of these shows, so 'scheduling conflict' is a little ambiguos.

People have to make arrangements for shows, everything from baby-sitters to flights with hotel rooms booked. And we're out of pocket throught the agencies dubious charges. What's not to be pissed off about?

My guess is on poor ticket sales....