Manchester UK show is cancelled...

I'm disapointed but I saw them at ATP in the UK in April of this year. So, I'm probably not as gutted as those who have not seen them in ages.

I live in Liverpool and I usually go to the Manchester shows. They were playing the usual venue that I have seen them at since the Being There tour and it's always packed out. Wilco are more popular now in the UK than they have ever been, so I would be amazed if it is down to poor ticket sales. Although, having said that, the tickets were nearly twice the price they normally are for Wilco. They came to over

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did chuckle when americans tell us Brits how easy/close it is to get from various places. Our transport system is a disgrace for a developed economy. If you get out of a gig at 11pm in London. You have got no chance of getting a train to Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool or anywhere. So, in rip off Britain it will cost you near
LOL :D Quite the opposite - I'm gonna be British soon :yes

Will you be a grumpy Brit, though? Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol

Seriously, though, I feel badly for all you regional folk who got hit with bad luck this time. Here's hoping that there's some rescheduled gigs soon. I still want to do the "Songs From Northern Britain" tour! :rock

That is what I thought... but, being Welsh, I can't comment on anything with a woolly coat... *ahem*

And it's ALWAYS eggs with gammon, pineapple - never!

The pub down the road from where I work offers you upto 6 eggs when you order gammon and chips...

If it really was poor ticket sales, would they really lie to the fans and say they had scheduling conflicts instead?

But wouldn't that be a face-saving (and, imo, reasonable) way to say it which could also be "technically" accurate? As in, there weren't enough ticket sales at those venues and there were conflicts in trying to reschedule them to smaller venues on the same night/in the same week? I can't imagine the cost of a week in the UK for the tour, and if ticket sales aren't going to make it financially viable, you probably have to cut your losses. It's sheer enjoyment for us, but for them it's business, too.

got to be poor ticket sales, after a below average last album its only to be expected, lets face it, you are not going to hear hotel arizona.

They played it at souncheck last week.

I also doubt poor sales.

it is not poor tickets sales. C'mon now and think it through...even if it was poor ticket sales, the promoter would be the one cancelling the show and eating the money, Wilco would still get most, if not all, of thier money. Wilco gets a GUARANTEE for thier shows, based on thier contract with the promoter of the show. Promoters usually have to give a 50% deposit to the bands agency 30 days prior to the show. Tickets DO NOT go onsale and shows are not offfically announced until no less than 3 copies of the contract are signed by both the promoter and the bands booking agency. So if its poor ticket sales, it would be the promoter cancelling the shows. In this case, it seems to be the band, who leave the promoter hanging in the wind, but since they return the deposit and the promoter doesn't have to shell out anymore money for expenses (deli trays, towels, water, beer, union, etc.) nobody gets hurt except, possibly, a business relationship.

If they haven't been to the UK in 3 years, is it reasonable to think it IS poor ticket sales? How big are these venues that they booked? If they haven't played there in so long, it would make me think that people would be lining up to see them...........or maybe casual fans just forgot about them since it has been a long time since they last came to the UK.

If they haven't been to the UK in 3 years, is it reasonable to think it IS poor ticket sales? How big are these venues that they booked? If they haven't played there in so long, it would make me think that people would be lining up to see them...........or maybe casual fans just forgot about them since it has been a long time since they last came to the UK.

I can't see how poor ticket sales would make a reasonable explanation. They are popular enough to have 2 shows booked at one venue in Ireland, and have one of those shows sold out, but in England people have forgotten all about them? It doesn't fit from my perspective.

It could be any number of reasons from illness to visa problems, even minor neglect of paperwork. Hopefully we'll find out. I think people deserve an explanation of the differing statements made by promoter and band, because in some cases the tickets are only part of the commitment. I'm sure some people have plane tickets, travel plans or hotel reservations that cannot be changed or refunded at this point.

I'm aware that a U.S. resident going to see the band in a few days shouldn't be posting here, but I could bite my tongue no longer (and let me say I know NOTHING - so don't let any of this become rumor):

You can't fathom that there may be some unforeseen conflict that caused them to cancel the shows that they don't want to share with the public? Do you ever call off work with something you just didn't want all your coworkers to know about? Health issues aren't always 48 hours and you're all better, or so bad that you can't stand just one more day before taking time off. Who knows, maybe someone is having scheduled surgery and they just don't want the whole world to know? Maybe someone needs to stay put for 5 days for antibiotics to finally kick in? Maybe it IS a money issue. Maybe it was either take a five day break and piss off a whole bunch of fans or risk physical/mental breakdown. Maybe they ARE gonna show up on TV somewhere and promoters/record companies/etc. pushed them into the decision. Who knows!?!

"Scheduling conflict" could mean ANYTHING, but the one thing I read into it for sure is "mind your own business."

I thought for a few minutes this week that our plans to go to New Orleans this weekend would no longer involve Wilco. Luckily, I was wrong. But you know what? We were gonna go and have a damned good time regardless. It's only 2 hours in a lifetime. It's just a concert.

So yes, I know/understand you're mad. I've lost hundred of dollars on canceled shows in the past. Be mad. But don't just assume they're home having a laugh at your expense.

-Laura

Get out of town - the only way to eat gammon steak is with pineapple rings...

But I've never heard of gammon steak with mint. Wrong four legged farm animal. It's the one with the woolly coat that goes well with mint sauce :thumbup

That is what I thought... but, being Welsh, I can't comment on anything with a woolly coat... *ahem*

And it's ALWAYS eggs with gammon, pineapple - never!

The pub down the road from where I work offers you upto 6 eggs when you order gammon and chips...

I know I know how to eat gammon and what goes with mint sauce. I just put together the 2 things that are the most imaginable food horror to me in order to scare Paul :P

I think one of the main reasons we're all pissed is that we don't get to see Wilco very often. I'm lucky, I can pop into London to see the band when they play their one-off shows there and when Tweedy playing his solitary solo show in the Capital.

Now, you can't deny, that they seem to be on a constant tredmill around the USA, you guys get to see them quite a bit. So we're just miffed that they cancelled on us and not someone else!

It just feels like we're second class and our dates can be cancelled at the drop of the hat. I'm sure they'll rescheduled and it'll be fine. But we're just mad :)

It just feels like we're second class

I used to have - and still have around that time of the year - that feeling about the living room shows and that us Europeans will never ever get a chance like that, but then I know that it's probably down to insurance issues and not because Jeff wouldn't like my living room :no

Now, you can't deny, that they seem to be on a constant tredmill around the USA, you guys get to see them quite a bit. So we're just miffed that they cancelled on us and not someone else!

It just feels like we're second class and our dates can be cancelled at the drop of the hat. I'm sure they'll rescheduled and it'll be fine. But we're just mad :)

Western Canada feels your pain!