Manchester UK show is cancelled...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case the post about promoter v band hadn't put the 'poor ticket sales' theory to bed, I went to see Iron & Wine in Gateshead (next door to Newcastle) last night, and I was surprised to find the venue almost full - I reckon about 350 there. Now if Iron & Wine can sell 350, I reckon Wilco could sell 500-600 tickets at the very least, and while I think that would only half fill Newcastle Academy, I'm not sure you would cancel on that basis.

Then again, Iron & Wine have played the North East before (unlike Wilco).

BTW, Sam Beam & Co were fantastic (and Leroy Bach was part of the band, so someone with a Wilco connection made it over :lol )

I'm aware that a U.S. resident going to see the band in a few days shouldn't be posting here, but I could bite my tongue no longer (and let me say I know NOTHING - so don't let any of this become rumor):

You can't fathom that there may be some unforeseen conflict that caused them to cancel the shows that they don't want to share with the public? Do you ever call off work with something you just didn't want all your coworkers to know about? Health issues aren't always 48 hours and you're all better, or so bad that you can't stand just one more day before taking time off. Who knows, maybe someone is having scheduled surgery and they just don't want the whole world to know? Maybe someone needs to stay put for 5 days for antibiotics to finally kick in? Maybe it IS a money issue. Maybe it was either take a five day break and piss off a whole bunch of fans or risk physical/mental breakdown. Maybe they ARE gonna show up on TV somewhere and promoters/record companies/etc. pushed them into the decision. Who knows!?!

"Scheduling conflict" could mean ANYTHING, but the one thing I read into it for sure is "mind your own business."

I thought for a few minutes this week that our plans to go to New Orleans this weekend would no longer involve Wilco. Luckily, I was wrong. But you know what? We were gonna go and have a damned good time regardless. It's only 2 hours in a lifetime. It's just a concert.

So yes, I know/understand you're mad. I've lost hundred of dollars on canceled shows in the past. Be mad. But don't just assume they're home having a laugh at your expense.

-Laura

I don't recall anyone suggesting that they're having a laugh at our expense.

the one thing I read into it for sure is "mind your own business."

errrm, I'd have thought for the hundreds (thousands?) of us who are out of pocket and have made arrangements for a show, it absolutley IS our business.

If it was something that they wanted/needed to keep quiet, they could have said so. 'Scheduling conflict'?? implies that something more important came up. If that's so, why not re-schedule the shows to the end of the european dates that they're still doing. They're playing in Belgium the day after the cancelled London show!

Poor ticket sales is the most likely reason (so far). They may not be on a guarantee'd fee (as JerseyMike says). Brixton (London) holds about 5,000, they played 2 smaller shows earlier this year (probably about 4,000 for bothshows). There has been zilch publicity since then. Most Wilco fans would have been satisfied with one of those 2 shows for a while, I guess.

I'd probably be more satisfied with no explanation than 'scheduling conflict'...

I'm not angry with the band, I'm frustrated. This is the second show this month where I end up out of pocket.

Are you for real? Jeebus. I would kill to hear that song live.

Yep

I wasn't there for this version, but seeing Louie and Kris perform this with the Wilco Ensemble in May had to be one of my fav renditions.

Poor ticket sales is the most likely reason (so far). They may not be on a guarantee'd fee (as JerseyMike says)

I highly doubt Wilco would book a show without a gurantee, especially in Europe. I worked as an agent for a few years, so I don't think I'm speculating on this one. For a band like Wilco, the guarantee is standard operating procedure.

Suggestion all my British friends:

Why not just go see them in Spain?

Can't you fly there for like 50p and get a nice hotel room and eat decent food for a change, all for less than a night out in ol' Blighty would cost you--what with the outrageous Tube fare and the overpriced pints and bangers and mash and what not?

True it ain't good for your carbon footprint karma, but we can ask Al Gore to excuse it this one time for Wilco's sake.

Can't you fly there for like 50p and get a nice hotel room and eat decent food for a change, all for less than a night out in ol' Blighty would cost you--what with the outrageous Tube fare and the overpriced pints and bangers and mash and what not?

True it ain't good for your carbon footprint karma, but we can ask Al Gore to excuse it this one time for Wilco's sake.

I wish. But it would still come in with flights and hotels at way more than I can afford. And even if I could afford it getting time off work at such short notice is impossible.

I know American's think the UK is tiny and hopping over to the continent is as simple as flying from New York to Chicago but really it isn't for the vast majority of us working on minimum wage.

Has to be poor ticket sales.. I've been a performing musician for 10+ years and canceling a show is absolutely forbidden in the Rock N Roll hand book... If you must cancel, it can only be because of a death in the family, or a key member becomes ill to the point where they cannot sing or play their instrument.. And even then, shows can still be played because I once saw a band (shall remain unamed) that the singer had strep throat, so the band invited people from the crowd to sing.. Some were actually pretty good, but most completely buchered the songs.. lol

So anyway, it had to have been ticket sales.. I don't think anyone has lost a family member and the band seems to be healthy if they can play the shows in Spain.

Just like the others said - not that easy. Tell me Craig , were you in the same Geography class as our friend Channing?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1290248,00.html

Maybe the 'Andrew Bird is the 7th member of Wilco' comment that Jeff made the other day is true and they're taking some time off to rehearse with him.

(Probably not going to happen, but if it does I wanted to have this post to refer back to and bask in the glory of my Nostradamus-esque brilliance.)

:pirate

At the Detroit show Jeff mentioned something about having strep, but he sounded fine so I didn't really think much about it.

Maybe it's gotten worse?

I haven't read the entire thread, but frankly if shows are canceled it is probably due to some illness which should be a major cause for concern.

LouieB

I haven't read the entire thread, but frankly if shows are canceled it is probably due to some illness which should be a major cause for concern.

LouieB

doesn't seem very likely as they're playing in Belgium, the day after the London show was to be

doesn't seem very likely as they're playing in Belgium, the day after the London show was to be

Must not be health then......that was just my first thought and I have been out of it for a couple weeks.

I guess Tony is REALLY playing hardball these days.

LouieB

Just like the others said - not that easy. Tell me Craig , were you in the same Geography class as our friend Channing?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1290248,00.html

Um. No. My geographic knowledge is quite extensive, actually. I'm well aware of the size of the UK, its proximity to the rest of Europe, and the ease with which British citizens travel abroad despite the various taxes and fees associated with flying on Ryanair and EasyJet. If you can manage a stag night in Vilnius why not a Wilco show in Barcelona?

All Americans aren't fat and stupid Bible-thumpers, just like all Brits aren't drunken hooligans with bad teeth. As for the football player's comments--yeah, I guess he spent most of his time in college in the weight room. Would be fun to stack him up against Wayne Rooney on The Weakest Link.

Seriously, sorry about the canceled shows. That truly sux. Wilco will be back soon I'm sure. They love touring in Europe. This past May my Welsh mate and I took the train to Germany to see them! Great places to see shows....

Apologies to anyone now bored with this thread, but how about this for a possibility...

...a fall-out/unresolvable dispute with the promoter/Academy Group (might they be one and the same?). That would explain the need to cancel all 4 UK shows and no others, and why we've been given no option to hang onto the tickets for re-scheduled shows. Also, there wouldn't have been time to move the shows to other venues???

I know, I'm probably clutching at straws, but other than this theory I can't figure out why we couldn't just hang onto the tickets if the tour really stands any chance of being re-scheduled.

I'm lucky. I got a full refund on my tickets, but I feel for those who've lost cash - it doesn't matter if it's only a small amount, it's money you earned, and are losing for nothing. Disgraceful! (I'm talking about the ticket agencies here).

Anyway, if it is a problem with the Academys - can I recommend the Sage in Gateshead, if anyone connected with the band is reading? Purpose built for music, fantastic acoustics. Only problem would be which of the two 'halls' Wilco would play in (probably Hall 2. Smaller, but can be converted for standing).

Apologies to anyone now bored with this thread, but how about this for a possibility...

...a fall-out/unresolvable dispute with the promoter/Academy Group (might they be one and the same?). That would explain the need to cancel all 4 UK shows and no others, and why we've been given no option to hang onto the tickets for re-scheduled shows. Also, there wouldn't have been time to move the shows to other venues???

I know, I'm probably clutching at straws, but other than this theory I can't figure out why we couldn't just hang onto the tickets if the tour really stands any chance of being re-scheduled.

I'm lucky. I got a full refund on my tickets, but I feel for those who've lost cash - it doesn't matter if it's only a small amount, it's money you earned, and are losing for nothing. Disgraceful! (I'm talking about the ticket agencies here).

Anyway, if it is a problem with the Academys - can I recommend the Sage in Gateshead, if anyone connected with the band is reading? Purpose built for music, fantastic acoustics. Only problem would be which of the two 'halls' Wilco would play in (probably Hall 2. Smaller, but can be converted for standing).

If that's the case then it would be nice for Wilco's management to tell us, rather than a whole week later still having zero information for us let alone any indication of whether Wilco will ever play the UK again. Although after this debacle even if they do schedule new dates in the future I won't be buying tickets until I know the band has actually landed in the country.