Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's chatter that only two teams can afford him: Red Sox and Angels. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my beloved Mike Lowell though. He's a sentimental favorite...

I laughed when McCarver (or was it Buck?) got going about this last night -- he kept talking about possible Rodriguez destinations in terms of their current third basemen. Has everyone forgotten that the guy was a shortstop his whole career until he wound up in the same infield as Jeter?

Lugo isn't so hard to push aside, right?

How about a Sox infield of Lowell, A-Rod, Pedroia, and Youkilis?

Congrats to Boras/A-Rod for having the class to wait until after the World Series to announce that they were opting out of the current contract.

As a Red Sox fan, I don't want him on the team. But if they signed him, I would hope it would be as their new SS, with Lowell coming back at 3B for 2 more years. Ultimately, though, I hope A-Rod ends up losing money on this move...although I'm sure someone will cough up the $.

Congrats to Boras/A-Rod for having the class to wait until after the World Series to announce that they were opting out of the current contract.

:lol Yeah, that struck me too. The idiotcasters went on and on about A-Rod, and meanwhile there was a rather important baseball game being played.

I'm not happy about the apparent trend in broadcasting where the commentators decide to talk about anything except the game they're being paid to talk about. I watched that dreadful Lions-Bears game yesterday and during a rather bizarre instance of an official's video review, they talked about everything except what was going on down on the field. I ended up screaming at the TV "Tell us what the fuck is happening in the game!"

Scared the hell out of my cat.

I bet the Cubs shell out the 30 mill a year.he gets along well with Pinella.

Maybe, but whose money would it be? The team is currently for sale.

I think they're too handcuffed right now by their uncertain ownership situation to get too crazy with the bidding for Rodriguez.

I didnt watch last nights game and I have avoided the papers this am. Was the A-Rod announcement during the game a calculated move by Boras to get A-Rod as much cheap publicity as possible?

If so, you gotta tip your cap to Boras. Even if you hate him. The guy knows what he's doing.

I didnt watch last nights game and I have avoided the papers this am. Was the A-Rod announcement during the game a calculated move by Boras to get A-Rod as much cheap publicity as possible?

If so, you gotta tip your cap to Boras. Even if you hate him. The guy knows what he's doing.

I guess it was a good move if Boras and A-Rod have just decided to stop caring at all about how he is perceived by the public. I guess being incredibly wealthy is enough for them, and they don't care about anything else.

Last night Gammons named as possible A-Rod suitors: Anaheim, Texas and San Francisco.

I don't know where the hell Texas came from, and I can't imagine that ever really happening. San Fran would be interesting because, although they were terrible last season, they also have a lot of money being freed up by not bringing Bonds back, and they're likely to have a friendly media and fanbase considering how good they were to Bonds through things a whole lot tougher to stand by than anything A-Rod has done. Anaheim, of course, seems like a legitimate option.

Beyond A-Rod and I guess Andruw Jones, it's a pretty weak free agent class this year.

I don't know where the hell Texas came from

Well, if they could afford to throw $25M at the Yanks every year to pay his salary, what's another five? Although I can't imagine him wanting to play for them until they get stronger as a team, since I'm sure he's looking for a World Series team...

Well, if they could afford to throw $25M at the Yanks every year to pay his salary, what's another five?

...plus, they now don't have to throw another $21M at the Yanks for the remainder of his previous contract.

Still, though, I don't see him going back to Texas.

What about a return to the Mariners? Not enough cash?

what is funny is that i get NYT email alerts, and the Arod thing was one, but not the red sox winning the world series.

...plus, they now don't have to throw another $21M at the Yanks for the remainder of his previous contract.

Still, though, I don't see him going back to Texas.

What about a return to the Mariners? Not enough cash?

Yeah, I would imagine the Rangers are happy to be done paying him to play for someone else. I don't think they'll be offering him something larger at this point, considering how poorly things worked out with them last time. And I can't imagine he wants to go back.

During the season some of the ESPN guys did mention him returning to Seattle, but I think it was just in terms of them being a team that was close to the playoffs and where he could make a big difference. I don't think they can pay him at this point either.

I can't see it happening, but it would be pretty awesome if he went to Boston. As brutal as the Yanks fans can be all the time, the boos A-Rod would receive when returning to New York as member of the Red Sox would be truly epic.

I am just happy to have a thread where I can talk about the Mets again.

Speaking of the Mets: now that NYY are out of A-Rod's contract, who besides the Mets and BOS can afford the guy? I hope the Red Sox re-sign Lowell (though his value/cost probably goes up with a vacancy at 3rd base in NY now) and stick with Lugo/Pedroia.

Speaking of the Mets: now that NYY are out of A-Rod's contract, who besides the Mets and BOS can afford the guy? I hope the Red Sox re-sign Lowell (though his value/cost probably goes up with a vacancy at 3rd base in NY now) and stick with Lugo/Pedroia.

NY radio (WFAN) this morning was floating out the possibility that Torre, ARod and Mariano all end up with the Dodgers. LA can definitely afford him.

I can't see how A-Rod would end up the Mets. Would they be getting rid of Wright or Reyes? Or having one of them change positions? A-Rod is way better than either of those guys, but they're also both very good, are pretty young, and cost a whole lot less.