Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a close one between the two as the numbers were very close in a ,ot of areas. Sabathisapitched over 40 more innings; Beckett had 20 wins though. The votes are cast before the post-season. I wonder if those 40+ innings caught up with C.C. in the post-season...? I'd imagine Beckett is more pleased with another WS ring rather than the CY.

Braun getting the NL ROY has me a little miffed, though. Braun had a great season as an offensive player but was shit on the field (dead last in several defensive areas for 3B). Tulowitski had a very good offensive season (not far behind Braun in some and ahead of him in many statistical categories) but also played phenomenal defense. At a more difficult position, at that. He's the better overall player. Maybe he came into his own too late in the season...?

It was a close one between the two as the numbers were very close in a ,ot of areas. Sabathisapitched over 40 more innings; Beckett had 20 wins though. The votes are cast before the post-season. I wonder if those 40+ innings caught up with C.C. in the post-season...? I'd imagine Beckett is more pleased with another WS ring rather than the CY.

Wins are a team stat. That being said, Beckett did have an excellent year. Sabathia is worthy, but Beckett would have been a fine choice as well.

Braun getting the NL ROY has me a little miffed, though. Braun had a great season as an offensive player but was shit on the field (dead last in several defensive areas for 3B). Tulowitski had a very good offensive season (not far behind Braun in some and ahead of him in many statistical categories) but also played phenomenal defense. At a more difficult position, at that. He's the better overall player. Maybe he came into his own too late in the season...?

Tulo is pretty awesome, but Braun is already one of the best hitters in all of baseball. In any other year, Tulowitzki would have run away with it, but IMO Braun is the right choice.

Tulo is pretty awesome, but Braun is already one of the best hitters in all of baseball. In any other year, Tulowitzki would have run away with it, but IMO Braun is the right choice.

Another close one with the votes and, yes, Braun is a hell of a hitter. I just find that disregarding Braun's foibles on defense as well as Tulowitskis excellent skills from both sides of the plate is misfortunate.

I'm losing sleep wondering if my O's can afford to extend Paul Bako!

Please, please- no more second-tier free agents. Trade Tejada. Trade Mora. Trade Hernandez. Just release Gibbons. For God's sake, do a better job to attract Dominican and Japanese prospects. Extend Bedard, and if nothing comes of it- see what we could get in return. It pains me to write that, because I love watching the man pitch.

I expect to finish last next year, but if we must suck, let us be young while basking in suckitude.

Another close one with the votes and, yes, Braun is a hell of a hitter. I just find that disregarding Braun's foibles on defense as well as Tulowitskis excellent skills from both sides of the plate is misfortunate.

I personally don't disregard Braun's poor defense, I just think that his offense is enough to make up for it.

And who cares if Tulowitzki is a switch hitter? His hitting skills count, for sure, but I don't understand why being a switch hitter is an extra qualification, especially since he is not, in fact, actually a switch hitter at all.

I personally don't disregard Braun's poor defense, I just think that his offense is enough to make up for it.

And who cares if Tulowitzki is a switch hitter? His hitting skills count, for sure, but I don't understand why being a switch hitter is an extra qualification, especially since he is not, in fact, actually a switch hitter at all.

I meant from offensive and defensive sides of the plate. Bad choice of words. He's a better complete player.

I'm losing sleep wondering if my O's can afford to extend Paul Bako!

Please, please- no more second-tier free agents. Trade Tejada. Trade Mora. Trade Hernandez. Just release Gibbons. For God's sake, do a better job to attract Dominican and Japanese prospects. Extend Bedard, and if nothing comes of it- see what we could get in return. It pains me to write that, because I love watching the man pitch.

I expect to finish last next year, but if we must suck, let us be young while basking in suckitude.

I would be happy to take Nick Markakis off your hands.

I would be happy to take Nick Markakis off your hands.

He should be one of the few untouchables. He'll be a .310-25-110 guy for years to come, not to mention that he can steal bases and has a friggin' Howitzer for an arm.

I'd love to see a deal with the Dodgers involving Billingsley, Kemp, LaRoche, + for him. That would make me all kinds of ok with him leaving, especially since it's abundantly clear they have no intention of signing him.

For some reason I thought you meant Orlando Cabrera at first. :stunned Miguel makes a lot more sense, but that scenario is a total non-starter. You can have LaRoche and maaaaaybe Billingsley, but no way in hell is Kemp going anywhere. How about Ethier? Sheesh, I'm talking like I'm making a fantasy league trade!

How about Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera for your boy. This is what Mike/Dog are talking about.

You'd have to throw in another player at least for that to work. Hughes, Melky, Cano would be ok, if we then moved Uggla for a pitcher. But the Yankees aren't at the top of the list of teams I'd want to work with.

For some reason I thought you meant Orlando Cabrera at first. :stunned Miguel makes a lot more sense, but that scenario is a total non-starter. You can have LaRoche and maaaaaybe Billingsley, but no way in hell is Kemp going anywhere. How about Ethier? Sheesh, I'm talking like I'm making a fantasy league trade!

Then there's no way they are getting Cabrera. He's going to get the Marlins 3 or 4 top prospects, and there's absolutely no way they make a deal with the Dodgers without Kemp being involved.

Yankees set to bring A-Rod back - on their terms

BY MARK FEINSAND AND BILL MADDEN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Wednesday, November 14th 2007, 10:06 AM

Alex Rodriguez may be headed back to the Bronx after all -- but on the Yankees' terms.

Despite all of the back-and-forth posturing between the Yankees and A-Rod' camp, the Daily News learned today that the two sides have been discussing a deal for the past few days to keep the two-time MVP in pinstripes, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The biggest catch? The Yankees don't want agent Scott Boras involved in the negotiations.

A high-ranking Yankees source told the Daily News that the team is willing to bring Rodriguez back on a below-market contract, one that would make up for the $21 million subsidy from the Rangers that the Yanks lost when A-Rod opted out of the final three years of his contract.

In addition, the Yankees don't want to deal with Boras, who has been Rodriguez's agent since the slugger was 16 years old.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a Yankees source said. "He cannot be in the room."

The Yankees are also aware that Boras could convince Rodriguez to stop the talks. "We realize it could be a trap to get us back in the negotiations," said one Yankee official. "But we don't think that's the case."

Rodriguez apparently approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary. "He went to them," said the source.

As the Daily News reported today, A-Rod will have to have person-to-person talks with the Steinbrenner brothers -- Hank and Hal -- before a deal can be sealed.

According to the first source, the Yankees are waiting for Mariano Rivera to sign a new contract before finalizing any plans with Rodriguez, who is expected to take a 10-year deal worth roughly $275 million. That would be about $75 million less than Boras has been looking for, though most industry insiders believe there was never going to be a $350 million offer out there for Rodriguez.

"Alex is going to be back with the Yankees," the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been made public. "The Yankees don't have a choice. How are they going to compete without Alex? They need him back."

After monitoring the third-base market, the Yankees apparently decided that Rodriguez was the best fit for them at third base. Mike Lowell is the only free agent of note, and his numbers were overwhelmingly better at Fenway Park last year than away from Boston.

Miguel Cabrera is the top name available on the trade market, but the Yankees were concerned about his work ethic and his habit of partying hard, something that dissuaded them from dealing for the talented 24-year-old slugger.

Rodriguez opted out of the final three years and $91 million of his contract on Oct. 28, prompting the Yankees to hold their stance that they would not negotiate with him as a free agent. The Yankees never even had a chance to make their offer, as Boras had told the Yankees it would take a minimum offer of 10 years and $350 million to get Rodriguez to meet with club officials face-to-face.

A second Yankees source said that the team believes A-Rod is trying to restore his image, which has taken a beating since Boras announced the opt-out during Game 4 of the World Series.

By taking a contract below market value, Rodriguez would be showing fans that it wasn't all about getting the most money, and that he truly wants to finish his career in pinstripes.

"Alex likes to be the center of the universe," the source said. "He wants to be a part of the Stadium going down and the opening of the new one. It's not about money. It's about his face being everywhere. This is the only stage that can guarantee that."

"Most of this is about Alex trying to salvage his image," said another source close to the negotiations. "He's upset over the way this whole thing has played out and the way he's being portrayed now, because of Boras."

He opted out of a huge contract because he didn't want to be there, and now we are to believe he wants to go back to the same team for less money? If he is concerned about his image how does slinking back to the NYY make him look good? And going around his agent and buddy Boras?

Just seems fishy to me.

He opted out of a huge contract because he didn't want to be there, and now we are to believe he wants to go back to the same team for less money?

The general consensus on the airwaves here in NYC is that its an implicit acknowledgment that ARod and Boras miscalculated his worth on the open market. And that the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, etc are not going to do better than the Yanks would do. So it's not that he wants to go back to the Yanks but, that he screwed up and now needs to go back to the Yanks at this point.

When put in that light it doesnt seem quite so fishy, but I wouldn't put anything past Boras at this point -- especially planting an article like this to bring the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, etc to the table.

Either way, if ARod ends up back with the Yanks, you'd have to think it's not the Yanks that are insisting on no Boras. I'd think ARod would be the one doing that. After all, why would he give a commission to Boras for the horrible advice he got, assuming he ends up with less money in the end than the Yanks initially offered?

When put in that light it doesnt seem quite so fishy, but I wouldn't put anything past Boras at this point -- especially planting an article like this to bring the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, etc to the table.

This sounds way more likely.

The off-season has just begun. Why would he give up on his initial asking price so quickly? And, even if he can't get as much as he initially thought, so long as he can get at least what this new Yankees offer is supposedly worth from someone else, why would he go back to the Yanks, where he was unappreciated and ridiculed the whole time (especially considering how humiliating it would be to slink back to them)?