Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still very "meh" on this.

Yeah, I dont really care that he used steriods and I know he did. Everyone knows he did. He is still HOF, same with Rose.

Just let it go. Steriods was a part of baseball in the past decade, not just Barry. There is good from this though. The public humilation that is happening is a warning to any future player to never use steriods.

Yeah, I dont really care that he used steriods and I know he did. Everyone knows he did. He is still HOF, same with Rose.

Just let it go. Steriods was a part of baseball in the past decade, not just Barry. There is good from this though. The public humilation that is happening is a warning to any future player to never use steriods.

Actually, the fact that PEDs/HGH/Steroids/etc. were banned in 1992/93 should be enough warning.

Rose will never be in the HOF and deservedly so.

If Bonds is proven guilty, he doesn't deserve to be either.

It's amazing to me how easily people want to dismiss those that treat the game as though they are above it. The "everybody was doing it" rule works well for 5 year olds. Not so well for adults. The guy broke the rules, got caught, and should now be punished.

Pete Rose should go in as a player but not as a manager.

Why? Pete Rose agreed to a life-time ban from baseball because he is guilty of breaking a rule that threatens the integrity of the game. It doesn't mean an asterisk gets put by his name or anything or that he didn't hit those hits. It means he's banned from baseball.

Museums are cool, halls of fame (and award shows) are fucking stupid.

I kind of agree with this, except that the HOF in Cooperstown is really a museum of sorts. Plus, acceptance into the HOF does matter to the players (at least I've never heard a MLB'er past or present pan it).

I'm not so sure that's true. The rule may well be 'failing a drug test adminstered by MLB,' which he doesn't seem to have done.

Is the rule about failing a test or using the substances? It's documented that he used illegal/banned substances. It's now apparent that he lied about it by saying he didn't use illegal substances while under oath.

Here's my $.02 that was included in this morning's LA Times sports page letters section:

The tale of the tape on Barry Bonds was probably the most eye-opening piece of information I've seen on this topic yet. Especially the rather astonishing and mind-boggling fact that his shoe size increased . . . 2 1/2 sizes in his 30s! To paraphrase Johnnie Cochran, "If the shoe doesn't fit, you can't acquit!"

Ken Kinsley

Sherman Oaks

...and yes, his feet GREW from a 10.5 to a 13 - since 1999. That in and of itself is sufficient evidence of HGH usage.

Here's my $.02 that was included in this morning's LA Times sports page letters section:

The tale of the tape on Barry Bonds was probably the most eye-opening piece of information I've seen on this topic yet. Especially the rather astonishing and mind-boggling fact that his shoe size increased . . . 2 1/2 sizes in his 30s! To paraphrase Johnnie Cochran, "If the shoe doesn't fit, you can't acquit!"

Ken Kinsley

Sherman Oaks

...and yes, his feet GREW from a 10.5 to a 13 - since 1999. That in and of itself is sufficient evidence of HGH usage.

This proves nothing. He was probably just trying to impress the ladies and started buying larger shoes. A man who wears size 13's demands attention. I stuff my shoes with half a roll of paper towels to make my size 12's fit. Sure, I wake up next to a lot of disappointed ladies, but I rarely wake up alone.

Will the persecution of Barry Bonds never end?

Eh, f Barry Bonds. He had supernal talent, but wanted more and did a deal with the devil. He richly deserves all of the scorn and infamy he has coming to him.

I think Big Mac's past was starting to haunt him by the end of his career. The press was questioning him about his conditioning almost every series. He didn't want his past to come to light while still an active player, which is why he walked away with 2 years and millions left on his contract.

Remember the home run derby in Boston with Big Mac? That was pretty cool!!

McGuire also didn't lie to a grand jury. His guilt shined through by basically pleading the fifth. He kept his mouth shut, and for better or worse, chose not to implicate himself by remaining silent and at least not lying. Bonds berated reporters, played the race card, etc. to anyone who had the audacity to even question him if the allegations were true. One thing that resonates with me is that Bonds had the opportunity to come clean with immunity and still chose not to.

Whether or not he'd have become the all-time home run king with/without the illegal substances does not matter now. Valid arguments can be made for both sides of that coin. The facts are that he did have an advantage to reach his pinnacles that should now be deemed invalid. It doesn't matter if he was one of many. It matters that he did it.

I'd hate to be involved with the Commissioners office these days as it's a huge mess. I realize some folks look at the Bonds situation as a witch hunt, and to some extent it was/is. However, it was only a matter of time until all this shit got dealt with and Bonds happens to be the poster child due to his "accomplishments." MLB, the Commissioner's office, the Player's Association and the owners are all culpable. Baseball turned a blind eye for many years because business was good. It's not a joyous occassion that Bonds is taking a hit for baseball, but there's still that glimmer that things may be righted.

Did we not sign Eckstein? I know we did not sign Yorvit, which is OK with me, and Glavine is reunited with the Braves.

Nah. He either would not take or flunked a physical, according to the NY media. Shoulder is apparently bad. I would not mind seeing Castro given a shot at being the full-time catcher.

Nah. He either would not take or flunked a physical, according to the NY media. Shoulder is apparently bad. I would not mind seeing Castro given a shot at being the full-time catcher.

He was terrible in his first stint as a starter. Terrible is actually an understatement.