Hot Stove League '07-'08

I'm guessing he gets booed something awful when he underperforms that contract in the coming years.

Also, if you want to talk about guys who I would bet on being steroid or HGH users, he'd be near the top of the list. As much as I hate it.

Arod wins AL MVP. Shocker of the year. Darin Erstad got robbed.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything MLB does to Bonds if he's convicted will be symbolic anyway, as the trial is going to take a while so he'll probably be long retired by then anyway. I suppose they could do the whole ban from baseball thing, but I think it would be a little hypocritical (not that that would stop them), and unlike Rose, it probably would really only mean the HoF, because I don't see Bonds ever becoming a manager or anything like that.

I'm talking about the public humilation of all your stats being tainted and all the fans seeing you as a cheater and fake if anything decent is accomplished. That is the deterrent.

yeah, just like in the tour de france and the olympics :unsure

you get out much? you sound like the kind of guy who may have bought a bridge or two over the years.

Quiet around here. Rollins wins NL MVP. Ho-hum. What about the Yankees and Red Sox?

Well, Jon Heyman from SI was just on WFAN and he said that he believes Johan Santana will be traded before the season begins and that - surprise, surprise - he will likely be dealt to the Red Sox or Yankees. He threw these out:

Clay Buchholz and Coco Crisp (and likely an unnamed third player) for Santana

Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy and Melky Cabrera (and likely an unnamed third player) for Santana

He said Robinson Cano and Joba Chamberlain are not available as part of any trade.

Who gets Santana? Red Sox or Yankees? A sleeper team?

Imagine Beckett and Santana going 1-2 over the next few years. What a nightmare (for me).

Looks like Kenny Rogers is leaning towards the Tigers

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID.../711210412/1050

and the possible impact on Dontrelle remaining in FLA because of it. Seems a bit of a stretch to assume one because of the other though:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=3672

Also, Cubs looking at Kaz Matsui:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...MLB&id=3789

And Mets trade Guillermo Mota to Brewers for Johnny Estrasda:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/pre...sp&c_id=nym

Grand riddance to Mota... I didn't think they'd be able to get more than a bucket of batting-practice balls for him.

They didn't get much more than a bucket of batting-practice balls in Estrada, really.

They were able to get rid of the albatross that is Mota (as well as his $3mil+ salary), and Estrada's stats are comparable to LoDuca's, for a couple million less. Yeah, 87% of baserunners stole successfully on him, but LoDuca wasn't a heck of a lot better. He's 3 years younger. And he's a switch-hitter. I'll take it.

They were able to get rid of the albatross that is Mota (as well as his $3mil+ salary), and Estrada's stats are comparable to LoDuca's, for a couple million less. Yeah, 87% of baserunners stole successfully on him, but LoDuca wasn't a heck of a lot better. He's 3 years younger. And he's a switch-hitter. I'll take it.

The switch-hitting is a bonus but I'd still take LoDuca over Estrada. And not for nothing, but reports out of MIL have noted him as being difficult to work with. But yes, getting rid of Mota and his contract is a big plus.

Rollins winning the MVP makes me sad.

Yeah, me too.

David Wright? Albert Pujols? Hanley Ramirez? Heck, Tulowtzski? A solid case can be made for the first two over Rollins, I feel. The other two a case could be made.

I'd argue he's the 3rd most valuable player on his own team, and he's the 2nd best SS in his own division.

I'd argue he's the 3rd most valuable player on his own team, and he's the 2nd best SS in his own division.

I don't have the stats, and of course Ramirez and Tulowitzski play the more demanding position than Wright/Pujols, but isn't Ramirez on the side of questionability? I know he's improved a lot since a pretty poor defensive 2006 season, but has he improved that much? As good or better than Rollins on the defensive end?

Either way, he's certainly worthy of greater consideration, possibly more so than Rollins imo. And not that Rollins had a weak year, either. But MVP-worthy? I'm not so sure.