Hot Stove League '07-'08

David Wright? Albert Pujols? Hanley Ramirez? Heck, Tulowtzski? A solid case can be made for the first two over Rollins, I feel. The other two a case could be made.

It made me sad because it reminded me of what happened in the NL East this September. I don't really have a problem with Rollins winning it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the stats, and of course Ramirez and Tulowitzski play the more demanding position than Wright/Pujols, but isn't Ramirez on the side of questionability? I know he's improved a lot since a pretty poor defensive 2006 season, but has he improved that much? As good or better than Rollins on the defensive end?

Either way, he's certainly worthy of greater consideration, possibly more so than Rollins imo. And not that Rollins had a weak year, either. But MVP-worthy? I'm not so sure.

I think Rollins is overrated defensively. He's better than Hanley, but Hanley's much better than Rollins with the bat. I think he makes up for it there.

I know Rollins won the Gold Glove, but I happen to think that's ridiculous. He won the GG, MVP, and SS and he didn't deserve any of them. Amazing.

NL SS

GG: Tulowitzki

SS: Hanley

NL MVP: Holliday

NL MVP: Holliday

I thought I had included Holliday earlier but mistakenly left him out.

I wonder if there's still the bias with sportswriters about a supposed Coors Field effect/advantage. I'd have to look at home/road splits but I don't think there was a huge difference. Plus, it's not like Citizen's Bank Park is pitcher-friendly. Compared to Coors, it's a better hitter's park.

You'd think it'd be apparent that Holliday was more of an MVP for the league than Rollins, but here we are. Holliday was pretty clearly the MVP for the Rockies, and certainly up at the top for the NL, but was Rollins even the MVP on his own team last year (Chase Utley)?

I thought I had included Holliday earlier but mistakenly left him out.

I wonder if there's still the bias with sportswriters about a supposed Coors Field effect/advantage. I'd have to look at home/road splits but I don't think there was a huge difference. Plus, it's not like Citizen's Bank Park is pitcher-friendly. Compafred to Coors, it's an easier hitter's park.

You'd think it'd be apparent that Holliday was more of an MVP for the league than Rollins, but here we are. Holliday was pretty clearly the MVP for the Rockies, and certainly up at the top for the NL, but was Rollins even the MVP on his own team last year (Chase Utley)?

Coors is still a hitter park, and Holliday's home/away splits are pretty ridiculous (something like 1.200/.850 OPS) but still. If not for Utley getting hurt, Rollins isn't even close to the MVP of his team, and for all of the talk of Howard having a down year, he was still better than Rollins. Too much was made of Rollins being 30-30-whatever.

Any Reds fans out there?

Signing Francisco Cordero is HUGE.

Now we can move Weathers back to his mid-relief/setup role, along with Burton and Bray. The bullpen is actually looking decent.

Hopefully we can move Freel and his money to free up some more salary for another pitcher.

Any Reds fans out there?

Now we can move Weathers back to his mid-relief/setup role, along with Burton and Bray. The bullpen is actually looking decent.

Hopefully we can move Freel and his money to free up some more salary for another pitcher.

Man, I was really hoping that the Tigers would pony up and bring back Cordero after all of these years. Good pick-up for the Reds though, there bullpen could definitely use the help. Does anybody know how well he pitched in Cincinnati in his career?

How much did Cordero get? I'm guessing it was far too much.

4 Years, 46mill. From what I can tell it is the biggest contract ever for a reliever. Except, I think that Mariano's will be bigger if he agrees to what the rumor is of 3 years 45 mill.

4 Years, 46mill. From what I can tell it is the biggest contract ever for a reliever. Except, I think that Mariano's will be bigger if he agrees to what the rumor is of 3 years 45 mill.

Rivera's already agreed to it, and I believe those are the terms.

It's a seller's market for pitching this year. Wonder what the Twins will get for Santana.

I saw this article from a few weeks ago linked on another site and think it relates well to the "overpriced" issues. In reality, players salary increases (in general) have jumped little compared to the increases (in $ billions) MLB has made over the last several years.

It's apparent that average and below-average players are making far more than most sane people think they should make. However, the other side of the coin is that their fractional "take" from the big pie is minor. Team revenues have gone up markedly across the board while team spending has remained flat or gone down in comparison/ratio.

An interesting article, regardless. Particularly related to FAs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-f...o&type=lgns

Any Reds fans out there?

life long Red fan, who is worried anytime they sign a free agent.

remember Eric Milton ?

anyway, we need relief, and I hope this guy is for real.

Pitching in Cincy is not for the fly ball types.

anyone know if he's a ground out pitcher ?

Wasn't BJ Ryan's deal bigger?

Re Cordero: He's in the neutral range as far as groundball/flyball ratio, but he's closer to being a flyball pitcher.

I think Cordero will prove to be a much better signing than Eric Milton. Milton had a track record of leading the league in HRs allowed, yet management still thought it was a good idea to bring him in to the Great American Bandbox.

I like si.com. It is a little bit easier of an experience than espn.

Where do all of you get your internet baseball info? I've been an ESPN.com guy forever, but I'm really sick of every story being an "Insider" article that you have to pay to be a member to be able to read. What's a good, free alternative?

This site usually has excellent insights and excellent interviews/chats with upcoming talent. They've been around a long time and are well respected for their analyses:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/

For quick Hot Stove stuff:

http://rss.rotoworld.com/rss/mlb.xml

And I go to http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php? for a lot of (usually) lucid and well-thought out fan analysis. It's a Red Sox site but they have sub-topics/categories with generally unbiased and incredibly detailed takes on all other teams/deals/etc. It's a members-only site but the major baseball stuff is open to public viewing. I think you can post as a lurker after setting up an account. I've been a member since 2003 but don't post much on the main board because most people nail the stuff much better than I could.

I like reading local on-line newspaper accounts of bigger news, too.

I personally think the Twins should get nothing less than Hughes, Cano, Joba.

Is this sarcastic, or no? Supposedly Cano and Joba are "untouchables." I know how good Santana is, but I would hate to see the Yankees part with either one of them, let alone both.

Don't forget about the World Champions and their young stars/prospects in all of this.

Boston Herald