Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Background check on Church: not good

"The Washington Nationals suspended a volunteer chaplain and distributed an apology from outfielder Ryan Church yesterday, two days after Church was quoted in a front-page Post article as suggesting that Jews are headed for eternal damnation."

Yikes. New York City might not be the best fit.

Both Schneider and Church bat left, which is something the Mets need.

I think they are waiting to see what they can get for Haren and/or Blanton.

WFAN: Mets trade Lastings Milledge to Nationals for Brian Schneider

This may be the worst trade of the offseason, barring the Marlins or Twins trading Cabrera or Santana for Melky and a tube of toothpaste. I'm almost positive they could've called the Marlins today and offered Willis for him and one other prospect and they might've been able to do so.

Both Schneider and Church bat left, which is something the Mets need.

They also both suck.

hasn't Lastings been a "top prospect" for several years now? Is it likely that he'll put up decent numbers for years to come?

That's not quite the way it works in baseball. Yes, he has been a highly rated prospect for a long time. He's only 22, though. In general, players don't reach their peak till ~28. He should improve quite a bit between now and then. There's not much to suggest that Milledge's ceiling is lower than advertised.

I didn't know he was only 22...I guess I first heard about him when he was like 18 or something. If the guys they got aren't that good, why did the Mets not hold on to him for a potential bigger trade? Seems weird to me.

Well, personality conflicts apparently (?) and Ryan Church isn't a bad player. Not sure how his CF defense is, but his offensive production is good for a centerfielder and meh for a corner outfielder. I mean, his OPS is similar to Aaron Rowand's or Torii Hunter's--who are both going to make a billion dollars or so.

Brian Schneider does not suck. He's not great, but he's definately an above average defensive catcher.

And yeah, Milledge's name has been around forever, but that's just because he was a hot prospect back in high school. He still has plenty of time to pan out.

Kenny Rogers...meh. I mean, he's obviously not very good anymore. He's over the hill, and at this point in his career he's going to be hurt a lot. But he's not awful, and I guess it can't hurt to have him around. If he's the #5 starter this year, I'm totally okay with that. More likely, though, is that he'll be injured much of the year and basically act as a back-up pitching coach to all the young talent. The rotation to start the year will probably be Bondo/Verlander/Rogers/Robertson (assuming they don't cut him)/Miller. After Rogers gets hurt, they'll bring in Virgil Vasquez or Jordan Tata, or make a trade. It's a pretty solid rotation though, and it will be incredible in 2-3 years once Miller comes into his own.

As a Twins fan, I think it would be ill-conceived if Santana goes for only Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox have allegedly made it clear that it's Santana for Ellsbury or Jon Lester, not both of them. I think the smart deal for us to make is Santana to the Yankees for Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera.

i think ellsbury is too electric a player to give up. he's got a bright, bright future. unless he wants to go play for the a's, i think the sox would be smart to keep him

Of course the Sox would like to keep Ellsbury, but they'd also like to attain another Cy Young caliber pitcher. I believe BOS would be prepared to deal either Bucholz or Lester, as well. I think a rotation with Schilling, Beckett, and Santana in it would obviously bode well for BOS and scare the shit out of division rivals, notably the NYY whom they face 18-19 times per season.

Santana is only 28 years old, too. He's got the potential for a continued bright future, as well. A lefty of his import and skill doesn't come along all that often. I don't think BOS should toss anyone at MIN to acquire him, but playing a cat-and-mouse escalation game with the NYY is worth a shot. I think Ellsbury would have to be in the mix, at this point.

Santana has also said he will not waive his no-trade clause once the season begins.

i think ellsbury is too electric a player to give up. he's got a bright, bright future. unless he wants to go play for the a's, i think the sox would be smart to keep him

Santana is worth trading a young, promising-yet-unproven centerfielder for.

They got rid of Hanley Ramirez to get Beckett, and he's better than Ellsbury (and Santana is better than Beckett).

In the Sox defense, Hanley's prospect star had dimmed quite a bit following some lackluster MiLB seasons.