Hot Stove League '07-'08

In the Sox defense, Hanley's prospect star had dimmed quite a bit following some lackluster MiLB seasons.

I see, I see. Even, so... I doubt that they regret that trade. Well, let's have an exercise. Name some centerfielders past and present that you would definitely package in a trade for Santana. Assume that the centerfielders won't be paid much over the next few years, but that Santana will. Like, you wouldn't trade a 23 year-old Willie Mays for Santana and so-on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Steinbrenner, Jr. has said he'll pull the offer of Hughes, Melky, and a prospect after Monday from the Twins. This is the same guy who said he absolutely would not have A-Rod back after he opted out. Where's Cashman in all this, anyway?

"As much as the Yankees want Santana, Steinbrenner insisted they do not plan to go back-and-forth with Boston. 'I don't really care what the Red Sox offer, to tell you the truth,' he said. 'The way I do things is, I make a strong offer, take it or leave it.'"

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spyanks1203,0,399845.story

"As much as the Yankees want Santana, Steinbrenner insisted they do not plan to go back-and-forth with Boston. 'I don't really care what the Red Sox offer, to tell you the truth,' he said. 'The way I do things is, I make a strong offer, take it or leave it.'"

he's full of it. what a poseur

Ellsbury has been offered as part of a deal with MIN for Santana, apparently (thus removing Lester from the package, as well). Santana has said he will quash any trade that would send him anywhere but BOS or NYY.

Sox also looking into Dan Haren and Ben Sheets as possibilities should the Santana deal not happen:

http://www.projo.com/redsox/content/sp_bb_...12.27e46cb.html

I mean, I know it's completely and utterly meaningless, but :hmm

Yeah, the award is a little silly, but it's recognition for a job well done nonetheless, and an honor well merited: best record in baseball, AL Championship, completely dominant in the playoffs, second WS in 4 years, and he's managing in a hyper-sensitive baseball town where every time he sneezes it's analyzed. Baseball America certainly is not the first entity to recognize he's doing a hell of a job in BOS.

Not to get into the "effectiveness/lack of effectiveness of a manager" deal again, but I think it's cool to honor managers for their work if they are a part of successful clubs. It's nice to see guys earning public recognition that had a hand in turning teams around, which managers certainly can (whether it's Francona or Guillen or Girardi or whomever).

Yeah, the award is a little silly, but it's recognition for a job well done nonetheless, and an honor well merited: best record in baseball, AL Championship, completely dominant in the playoffs, second WS in 4 years, and he's managing in a hyper-sensitive baseball town where every time he sneezes it's analyzed. Baseball America certainly is not the first entity to recognize he's doing a hell of a job in BOS.

Not to get into the "effectiveness/lack of effectiveness of a manager" deal again, but I think it's cool to honor managers for their work if they are a part of successful clubs. It's nice to see guys earning public recognition that had a hand in turning teams around, which managers certainly can (whether it's Francona or Guillen or Girardi or whomever).

I know, I know, I hate the Red Sox and everything they do, but come on. The guy is managing with a 4 billion dollar payroll. He's got like 178 All Stars on his team. This team's success has oh so little to do with him.

So is he getting credit for his team almost blowing a huge division lead and then somehow pulling his team out of it?

I know, I know, I hate the Red Sox and everything they do, but come on. The guy is managing with a 4 billion dollar payroll. He's got like 178 All Stars on his team. This team's success has oh so little to do with him.

Come on. So he should be penalized because he manages a team with a high payroll? That's horseshit. As stated above, he's had a hand in and been a factor in the teams success the last 4 years. No doubt. I'd go so far as to say he's the best manager the Sox have seen in 40-50 years.

Managing involves more than what happens during the game, as you know. Francona has shown tact and diplomacy in handling his roster of mega-stars and duds alike. He's shown patience and tact with the relentless Boston media. He doesn't bad-mouth his players. Etc., etc.

Give the guy some credit. If you think any manager can be stuck into Francona's slot and the same outcome will be inevitable, I don't think we see the role of manager the same way. And that's o.k.

Torre couldn't get out of the first round with his payroll. Randolph couldn't make the post-season with his. There is no scientific formula for what it is Francona did, but you can't deny the result. He and his team won. He's got some freaks on that team and he seemed able to keep them together and focused enough to win. I think the award is well-deserved.

I hate the fact I can't hate Tito.

So is he getting credit for his team almost blowing a huge division lead and then somehow pulling his team out of it?

At the end of the day it's the players on the field who make the game what it is. This does not detract the hand a manager plays in contributing to the success/flaws of a team. I'd say Francona deserves both part of the blame for the collapse towards the end as well as the re-surgence in the post season.

So yes, he should be partially credited for the team's success. Which is what the "award" from Baseball America is, pretty much: crediting the manager on the best team in baseball last season as the best manager overall.

That rule is fucking retarded.

Tito was quoted in August after the incident during the NYY game when his attired was called into question during the game (during an at-bat, actually) as saying he wears the attire (which has official MLB logos on it) due to his poor circulation medical issues. He also said Bob Watson ok-ed it, and that he also wears several undershirts/long johns, etc. because of the health problems.

Pretty damn absurd.

Geez, how dare the Twins not trade Santana to the Yankees. The cheek!

How do Hank Steinbratter's comments constitute "tampering?" I don't understand how this all works i guess. Are teams that are negotiating not allowed to speak about it until its a done deal?

Santana is still under contract with the Twins. Steinbrenner publicly announcing that he wants Santana, by name/calling him out/whatever, could be construed as tampering. It's a stretch, though, considering Selig has looked the other way in the past when things like this come up in the press.

The Rays have traded Elijah Dukes to the Nationals for a player to be named.

I think the Nats could be a pretty solid contender in 2-3 years.

good cuz i'm buying into season tix. i sure hope i don't have to get runned over and have surgeries in order for them to have a winning record.