Hot Stove League '07-'08

At the end of the day it's the players on the field who make the game what it is. This does not detract the hand a manager plays in contributing to the success/flaws of a team. I'd say Francona deserves both part of the blame for the collapse towards the end as well as the re-surgence in the post season.

So yes, he should be partially credited for the team's success. Which is what the "award" from Baseball America is, pretty much: crediting the manager on the best team in baseball last season as the best manager overall.

I guessI just don't see the point in giving managers awards, and especially not managers with one of the 2 highest payrolls in baseball. It is somehow Torre's fault that Wang forgot how to pitch for a two game stretch in the playoffs, so he's a bad manager and meanwhile Terry Francona has arguably the greatest post season pitcher of all time on his team to carry him to a title, so he's a good manager.

If any manager "deserves" an award this year, it's Manny Acta.

I was gonna say, I felt like Father Time talking to Baby New Year with those references.

I was joking. Come on, man. A little credit here, please.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox and Johan getting close to a deal?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...s_may_be_close/

Wow.

I don't know what to think. The other Yankee fans I talk to will be happy to hear this. They didn't want to give up the young pitchers. I'm not so sure. I'm short sighted. I've said it before, but the Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, etc. rotation scares the bejeesus out of me.

Maybe these latest reports will inspire young Hank to do something completely irrational.

Wow.

I don't know what to think. The other Yankee fans I talk to will be happy to hear this. They didn't want to give up the young pitchers. I'm not so sure. I'm short sighted. I've said it before, but the Santana, Beckett, Dice-K, etc. rotation scares the bejeesus out of me.

If this happens, (and there are still plenty of factors to queer the deal at this point), I can't imagine why any NYY fan would be happy to see their team have to face a rotation like that 19 times next season. And, you omitted Schilling.

Today, 2pm.

Bank it, folks.

I'd be impressed if he actually stuck to his guns about the self-imposed deadline, however if an oppportunity to get Santana opens (and is in the arena of what he offered) and he doesn't jump on it he'll be drawn and quartered in NY.

This will be great if the lil Red Sox can land Santana, that way they can stand a chance of winning the division against those money-grubbing Yankmees and prove you can't buy champiomnships!!

That's the spirit.

"DON'T STOP BELIEVIN!!!"

you change your posts so much every time I open a thread it's like a new party.

Now you're catching on. My first post was just for you. :wub

And now I'm back to lurking in the beisbol thread. :ninja

WFAN's Yankees reporter is saying the Yankees seem resigned to the fact that Santana is going to Boston. Also, the Boston deal would be the one that includes Lester, Crisp, and two prospects. Looks like the Sox might get Santana and keep Ellsbury. Of course, nothing is final, but if that happens...well done, Boston.

What does Oakland want for Haren?