Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, because he had a seeing-eye single? Are you somehow under the impression that A-rod didn't have any hits this post-season? He had like an .850 OPS or something, which isn't great, but it's more than decent.

I assume he is referring to the fact that Dice-K had 2 RBIs in one at bat and ARod has 1 RBI over his last 44 post-season at bats.

He also never had any sudden jumps in production the way that Bonds did. Plus, there's never been any suggestion in any circles that he was juiced.

Of course it's possible that he is, but only because it's possible any of them are. There's definately no reason to think A-Rod is juiced over pretty much anyone else in the game.

Thin-skinned or not, if you are A-Rod, I don't know why you'd want to put up with the fans and/or the press in NY anymore.

He can hit 50 HRs in LA and not have to deal with the headaches.

Oh yeah, I agree. I don't think he's particularly thin-skinned, but the only reason to stay in New York is if he wants to punish himself. There are a couple other places where he could make as much (or nearly as much money), have just as good a chance to win a championship, and not get spit on by the fans and media so much. Why would he want to stay in NY?

I don't believe you - at most, you believe there is an equal possibility. But, any chance to diss the Red Sox! :cheers

The rumors around Miami during his absolutely atrocious 2005 (the year they started publicly outing people who failed steroid tests) was that he was no longer on them, implying that he had been prior to that. Look, I like the guy, he went to my school and was a big key for my team for 5 years, but to say A-Rod is going to be on the list when nobody ever suspected him of anything except being sort of a bitch for slapping at someone's glove is ludicrous.

But, any chance to diss the Yanks! :cheers

Well, Canseco did some hinting about A-rod. Not that that's necessarily worth anything, but he's been right about some other guys that surprised some people.

Must have missed that one. I read his book, but don't remember A-Rod being named. In that case I guess there's slightly more reason to think he's juiced than I'd thought.

Well, Canseco did some hinting about A-rod. Not that that's necessarily worth anything, but he's been right about some other guys that surprised some people.

I actually though that his hints about A-Rod weren't supposed to be steroid related, but were somehow tied to A-Rod being gay. Thats what I read anyways.

Certainly there's a lot of chatter in RSN about what kind of reception A-Rod would get in Boston. I think if he signed some kind of long term contract perhaps he'd get an awesome reception. I think that folks issues with him have more to do with the team he plays for and less about him as a person. I actually was a little worried about him last season (06) when every day the Daily News was talking smack about him. I don't think that would happen in boston. But perhaps i'm just not being realistic. I might not buy an A-rod jersey, but i woudln't boo him. Of course I don't boo any player, regardless of slumpage.

When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.

Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."

When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."

"Jose has information about A-Rod and the Yankees that will be in the book. But, I am not sure if Jose is willing to disclose it at this point," Canseco's lawyer, Robert O. Saunooke, told The New York Times.

In Baltimore for the Yankees' game against the Orioles on Saturday night, Rodriguez told reporters that he hadn't heard Canseco's comments about him. "And I have no comment," he told the newspaper.

Yankees manager Joe Torre said he was disappointed to hear about Canseco's comments.

"You worry about anything like that, because unfortunately, when people see it in print, they add credence to it. That's the sad part about it," Torre said, according to the New York Daily News. "It's a shame, because when you play this game, you'd like to believe you play with some kind of respect. Obviously, Jose needs the money."

Canseco has shared names of more players who used steroids with investigators looking into the issue for Major League Baseball. George Mitchell, the former Senate majority leader, was appointed by commissioner Bud Selig in 2006 to head the league's investigation into steroids in the sport.

Saunooke told The Times that Canseco planned to meet again with Mitchell and and his investigators in the next month.

Canseco attracted the attention of Congress with his autobiography, "Juiced," in which the former slugger named several players, including himself, Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire, who he said had used steroids.

Must have missed that one. I read his book, but don't remember A-Rod being named. In that case I guess there's slightly more reason to think he's juiced than I'd thought.

I don't think it was in that book. If I remember right he was trying to get a second book published and that's when the A-Rod rumor came up

NY radio (WFAN) this morning was floating out the possibility that Torre, ARod and Mariano all end up with the Dodgers. LA can definitely afford him.

Oh, Lord. That's preposterous. Torre will be doing some broadcasting (he was the Angels color guy before managing) or enjoying an early retirement. Rivera is too old to think about using as a replacement for Saito, who was one of the best in either league. ARod won't be coming to THIS end of town because despite what one might think, we really don't have that much cash. McCourt had to beg, borrow and steal to afford to buy the team to begin with. I'd much rather spend the $ on Torii Hunter and scrap Juan "I'm really speedy but I just LOVE to hit weak fly balls" Pierre.

ARod'll be wearing a halo soon enough. If he does go to the BoSox, we'll gladly take good care of Lowell for you!

Were I Torre, I'd cement the legend by laying low for a couple of years, and maybe ride off into the sunset with a low-to-no-pressure gig, be it a chief scout, an advisor, or even a bench coach for a young hotshot. I wouldn't fault him for taking another manager gig, but I can only see it putting a bit of tarnish on the legend of what took place in The Bronx. He's like DiMaggio with all the talk of class and dignity, etc., that you hear right now in NYC. The man will never EVER have to pay for another meal or round around here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/To...F?urn=mlb,51310

Torre will take Dodgers job if, when, it opens

Monday, Oct 29, 2007 7:21 am EDT

If divorce proceedings between Grady Little and the Dodgers go the distance, as many expect, The New York Post has learned Joe Torre has been targeted as the manager to heal a fractured Los Angeles clubhouse.

According to two people with knowledge of the Dodgers' universe, the club and Little are talking about a buyout that would leave the manager's office in Chavez Ravine vacant for Torre to inherit. Since none of Little's coaches is signed for next year and he is ($1 million and an undisclosed option for 2009), there has been speculation Little is out.

Torre, who wants to manage again, is interested in talking to the Dodgers if the job becomes available.

Source: New York Post

The Mets are losing Glavine, Duke is 48 years old, and the rest of the staff is young and inexperienced.

Delgado, if still on the team will hopefully rebound. Lots of players have off years.

I'd say Fixing the pullben, and getting 2 front line pitchers is more important than getting an outfielder.

Reyes has all the tools, and has shown what he can do. His bad second half will be something he learns from.

If he craps out and is 30, then he was over rated.

Torre should wait, and watch the Yanks falter first. He could use a good laugh.

Torre will take Dodgers job if, when, it opens

Monday, Oct 29, 2007 7:21 am EDT

If divorce proceedings between Grady Little and the Dodgers go the distance, as many expect, The New York Post has learned Joe Torre has been targeted as the manager to heal a fractured Los Angeles clubhouse.

According to two people with knowledge of the Dodgers' universe, the club and Little are talking about a buyout that would leave the manager's office in Chavez Ravine vacant for Torre to inherit. Since none of Little's coaches is signed for next year and he is ($1 million and an undisclosed option for 2009), there has been speculation Little is out.

Torre, who wants to manage again, is interested in talking to the Dodgers if the job becomes available.

Source: New York Post

Well, well, well. Shows what I know. I'm also the guy who called a Phillies/Indians series.

Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway... despite my earlier statements, Torre is obviously the superior manager so I won't exactly be crying in my [insert name of trendy drink that would stereotype me as living in LA] if he were to replace Little.

I know that Joe Torre has been to the playoffs 13 consecutive times. I'd just like to say that I think, in those 13 years, I could have made the playoffs approx 5 times if I was the manager of the Yanks. That might not be Hall of Fame worthy, but that would still put me in the upper echelon of managers in baseball. And that makes me feel good about myself.