Hot Stove League '07-'08

Wow! White Sox send their best two pitching prospects to Oakland for Nick Swisher. Fautino De Los Santos (projects as a closer), Gio Gonzalez (projects as a middle of the rotation starter), and Ryan Sweeney (doesn't really project to much unless he starts juicing, me thinks). Nice swing, though.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Rice for the Hall of Fame?

I'm biased because he was my favorite player as a kid but the debate on ESPN makes a compelling case:

"During those 12 years, Rice was the most dominant player in the American League. Maybe not the best player -- I'd give that nod to George Brett. But check out Rice from 1975 to '86. He ranked first in the AL in games (1,766), first in at-bats (7,060), first in runs (1,098), first in hits (2,145), first in home runs (350), first in runs batted in (1,276), first in slugging percentage (.520), first in total bases (3,670), first in extra-base hits (752), first in go-ahead RBIs (325), first in multihit games (640), fourth in triples (73) -- so much for the notion that Rice was nothing but a plodder -- and fourth in batting average (.304). He also was first in outfield assists with 125."

The Rice debate comes up every year, & this should finally be the year that he makes it.

He was the most feared hitter in the game for a good 5 years. If you never saw him play and just look at the final numbers, I could see your skepticism.

Imo, a no-brainer.

IMO if you think Rice gets in, then you should let in Albert Belle too. He was basically just a better version of Jim Rice. And I don't even think Belle is on the ballot anymore.

Rice was a very good player for a few years. He just wasn't good enough for long enough. He is the opposite of Andre Dawson, who was a good play for a long time, but never a great player. In the end, neither gets in.

Also, Firejoemorgan.com always brings up this point with regards to Rice, which I happen to fully agree with:

Look at Rice's numbers.

And then look at this guy's numbers.

Why are people calling for Rice to be in the HoF and not a single person brings up Dwight Evans. Not saying that Evans should be in the HoF, just that Rice shouldn't either.

God, Kenny Williams and the Sox have no clue what they're doing.

Way to take your farm system from 29th-ranked to dead last for a player that still won't enable you to compete with the Tigers and Indians (and probably not the Twins). What a bad, baffling move.

glad i'm not an A's fan

Me too. It's gotta be agonizing watching your favorite players get traded away or leaving after 3 years because the company can't afford to pay them. On the flip side, good seats are always available for home games. :thumbup

The week before christmas, the kids and I met Barry Zito. He was not only incredibly hot, he was amazingly cool with the kids. I was so flustered, I forgot to close this thread.

Someone start another one, and I'll post our picture with BZ in it!