Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, on all counts. I was surprised to see him come back to the AL.

Can someone explain to me why it's so accepted that Renteria can't play in the AL? He certainly had one of his worst seasons in the year that he was in Boston, but it was not substantially different from the season he had in St. Louis the season before. It always seemed to me that perhaps he just had a bad year, and it wasn't necessarily due to playing in the AL.

I'm not saying that this accepted wisdom on Renteria is wrong, just that I haven't ever heard a real explanation for it. So maybe someone can fill me in.

Can someone explain to me why it's so accepted that Renteria can't play in the AL? He certainly had one of his worst seasons in the year that he was in Boston, but it was not substantially different from the season he had in St. Louis the season before. It always seemed to me that perhaps he just had a bad year, and it wasn't necessarily due to playing in the AL.

I'm not saying that this accepted wisdom on Renteria is wrong, just that I haven't ever heard a real explanation for it. So maybe someone can fill me in.

It's nonsensical. Unless the idea is he's just not good enough to play in the AL. This idea that he's not "a good fit" is really silly. What's the difference? He had a bad year with Boston. Ok.

Let's see...career splits vs. AL teams (and keep in mind that many of these ABs were during his down year).

Career OPS: 757

Vs. Bal .511 -under

Vs. Bos .813 - over

Vs. CWS .698 -under

Vs. CLE .859 -over

Vs. DET .715 -under

Vs. KC 1.019 -over

Vs. LAA .787 -over

Vs. MIN .668 -under

Vs. NYY .825 -over

Vs. OAK .701 -under

Vs. SEA .651 -under

Vs. TB .811 -over

Vs. TEX .678 -under

Vs. TOR .867 -over

So he's hit above his career average against 7 AL teams and under his career average against 7 AL teams. Seems like he'll do just fine. Vs. Baltimore he's way under his career avg., but Vs. KC he's way over--and that team is in his new division.

I think it has more to do with the type of city rather than the league. Edgar is a true professional and takes his job to heart. He took all the crap personally. I think the english language has been difficult for him and the lack of sound bites can create a barrier with the fans and media. He will have a great year for the Tigers!!

Torre to the Dodgers.

Last time Grady Little was shown the door, the manager that followed him won a title the next season (04 Sox).

Last time Joe Torre got a new job, he won the World Series in his first year as manager (96 Yanks).

The could get ARod too.

Things look good for the Dodgers in 08.

I think it has more to do with the type of city rather than the league. Edgar is a true professional and takes his job to heart. He took all the crap personally. I think the english language has been difficult for him and the lack of sound bites can create a barrier with the fans and media. He will have a great year for the Tigers!!

he was a fan favorite in boston. and i've had him on my fantasy bb team for a few years now--i think he's a great base stealer no matter where he is. I wish him the best with the tigers. i can't help but think of that cabaret voltaire song every time i hear his name.

Torre to the Dodgers.

Last time Grady Little was shown the door, the manager that followed him won a title the next season (04 Sox).

Last time Joe Torre got a new job, he won the World Series in his first year as manager (96 Yanks).

The could get ARod too.

Things look good for the Dodgers in 08.

Correlation = causation

I need to agree on this. He was liked when he was first acquired but something happened when he started playing games..

well then he was a favorite of mine. and everyone who hung out at the Decatur. Of course, we loved OCab too, so, shows how much we knew.

Still a question mark in left field, the back end of the rotation, and the bullpen, but this was probably the biggest hole, so I'm glad they get it patched up nice and early.

I think that Zumaya is probably the closer next year.

The Brewers declined their option on Geoff Jenkins yesterday. I have a feeling he will take care of the Tigers left field problem next year. He doesn't hit for great average but he will hit 20+ home runs and he hits left handed. Either that or if the Reds decline the option for Adam Dunn, the Tigers might go after him. Dunn would be nice he hits for slightly less average than Jenkins but will hit 35+ homers.

People in Cincinnati HATE Adam Dunn. It is ridiculous. The entire season, the Adam Dunn issue is the only thing they talked about on the post game radio shows and talk shows. All the fans do is focus on his strikeouts and lack luster D. His positives outweigh the negatives, in my eyes. The guy can hit and it is beyond me why so many Cincy fans think he is the root of all the problems. Most good homerun hitters strikeout a lot. It comes with the territory. I really hope the Reds keep him.