Hot Stove League '07-'08

I've been to almost every Rockies home season-opener since 1996 and if memory serves, it's always been on "Opening Day." The real one when most teams open the season, not the Sunday stuff. Almost always great weather, too.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Against MLB rules, if I recall correctly.

Yes, but there is a "for the good of baseball" clause that would allow Selig to bend the rules if the team was able to show that it was a special enough situation. An ARod signing might be enough to raise attendance to acceptable levels and might convince the city of Miami that the Marlins are serious about building a stadium.

It's extremely unlikely, but there's a lot of buzz about it down here.

Yes, but there is a "for the good of baseball" clause that would allow Selig to bend the rules if the team was able to show that it was a special enough situation. An ARod signing might be enough to raise attendance to acceptable levels and might convince the city of Miami that the Marlins are serious about building a stadium.

I see Ace Ventura isn't the only guy in South Florida who talks out of his ass.

Sorry, that belonged in the E-Tuff thread...

Red Sox are apparently "close" to signing Schilling to a one year contract.

I saw that, and I like it. If they get to the postseason again, that's where he'll earn his money. Hopefully he'll get in better shape this winter.

Potential rotation for 08:

Beckett

Dice-K

Schilling

Wakefield

Lester/Buchholz

Not bad...

Nearly always, but there are occasional exceptions. I believe I remember a day many years ago on which I saw the Cubs in the afternoon, then jumped on the el and saw the White Sox that evening. :thumbup

That must've been a lot of fun. Nothing like a full day of baseball. There is the odd exception in NYC as well... always a buzz in town on the rare occasion when one team has a day game and the other is playing at night. What was really cool was when they were playing each other in interleague play a few years back, and they had a day/night doubleheader... the day game at Shea Stadium and the night game at Yankee Stadium.

I do think that some teams do this to generate good will with fans so that teams can throw their hands up when [iNSERT STAR] signs elsewhere and they can say "we did all we could." Even though the team knew they never had a shot or any true interest. I think the Mets did this with ARod back when he signed with the Rangers initially. And I find it happening more and more. Its a no lose situation for teams from a PR perspective.

Schilling has weight clause

By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff

ORLANDO - Curt Schilling's new 1-year, $8 million deal with the Red Sox (which is pending results of a physical) will include $2 million worth of incentives if he meets weight requirements. The team hopes to insure that Schilling will be fit when he comes to spring training, a source close to the negotiations said moments ago.

Schilling can earn an additional $3 million in performance bonues, making his total incentive package at a possible $5 million. According to the Associated Press, the performance bonuses are based on innings pitched.

link

Baseball general managers recommend instant replay for first time

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

November 6, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- For the first time Tuesday, baseball general managers recommended instant replay be used to help umpires make difficult decisions.

The recommendation, by a 25-5 vote, was limited to boundary calls -- whether potential home runs are fair or foul, whether balls go over fences or hit the top and bounce back, and whether fans interfere with possible homers.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig opposes the use of replays but said last month he was willing to let GMs examine the issue.

"I don't like instant replay because I don't like all the delays. I think it sometimes creates as many problems or more than it solves," Selig said then.

But Jimmie Lee Solomon, an executive vice president in the commissioner's office, thinks Selig's stance has changed a bit recently.

"He seemed to be softer, at least on the consideration of the subject," Solomon said Tuesday.

He added it was unclear how the proposal will proceed and acknowledged there is "glacier-like movement in baseball" when it comes to innovation. Solomon said if Selig is willing, the commissioner probably would run the idea by owners. The plan needs approval from the players' association and umpires.

Solomon said GMs favored having a Major League Baseball official in a central place with access to all camera angles. If there is a disputed call, that official would be contacted and would view the television replay to make a decision.

"We have a very technologically savvy group of GMs," Solomon said. "I was surprised that we had five teams that said no."

Solomon also said that to speed up games, baseball was considering limiting the number of times a hitter could step out of the batter's box during an at-bat and the number of times any player could visit the mound.

I almost always side with the old-school philosophies on the game but I think this is could be a good thing. I love the human element of having to live with the umpire's ruling called live but if this is used sparingly I see it as a good thing.

Even though the umpires get the call right most of the time and have been pretty good about reversing calls when they know they've erred, why not use the technology in tight games/post-season games/etc. where the right call is crucial to the outcome? Questions about home run/fair-foul/etc. only, though, and at the discretion of the umpiring crew, not the manager.

I actually agree with Bud on this one. Feel like it can create as many issues as not having instant replay. Just keep things as is.

About the limited of times a batter steps out to speed up the game sounds stupid. The game is fine the way it is, its slow in nature, I dont see a need to change the nature of the game. The pace is what makes it baseball, dont need to turn it into basketball.

Things I wanna change: Eliminate the DH. Establish salary caps for teams, solid limit. Also the ability for teams to fire players at any time like in the NFL.

Also the ability for teams to fire players at any time like in the NFL.

Hey, no one is forcing anyone to give a player a guaranteed contract. That's a choice that GMs make to make their offers more attractive. They wouldn't have to do this if they didn't keep offering them.

This article blew my mind, man. Everything you thought you knew about A-Rod opting out is wrong. Here's the real deal:

NY Times: By Opting Out, A-Rod Really Wants In

There's been some speculation about that from the start. I mean, obviously the reason he opted out was to get paid more -- that's just good business sense. If he can get the same money elsewhere though, I can't imagine why he'd want to stay in New York, though.

Hey, no one is forcing anyone to give a player a guaranteed contract. That's a choice that GMs make to make their offers more attractive. They wouldn't have to do this if they didn't keep offering them.

Yeah, thats true. Maybe its because MLB players are more reliable than NFL.

It was in my understanding that the players have it in the their labor contract that their salaries are guaranteed.