Hot Stove League '07-'08

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early to mid-90s. I actually listened to his radio show a bit when I was in New Mexico. It wasn't bad, and not really heavy on the "I love Bush."

Dennis Miller's FOX talk show in the early/mid 90s was great. GREAT.

It was.

I still think DM is funny. The football gig blew, but I enjoy his rambles and tangents. Not at the peak of his game these days as he was in the 90s, but still better than most comedians/commentators out there.

Here's the list for those who haven't seen it.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C Ivan Rodriguez, DET

1B Kevin Youkilis, BOS

2B Placido Polanco, DET

3B Adrian Beltre, SEA

SS Orlando Cabrera, LAA

OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF Torii Hunter, MIN

OF Grady Sizemore, CLE

P Johan Santana, MIN

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C Russell Martin, LAD

1B Derrek Lee, CHC

2B Orlando Hudson, ARI

3B David Wright, NYM

SS Jimmy Rollins, PHI

OF Carlos Beltran, NYM

OF Andruw Jones, ATL

OF Jeff Francoeur, ATL

OF Aaron Rowand, PHI

P Greg Maddux, SD

Yeah, the Gold Glove is usually pretty meaningless. Often times, they just keep voting for the same people year after year regardless of whether or not they're still good fielders, and in some cases for people who were never good fielders, but are big names. This year's awards seem less offensive than usual, but there are still a few dubious picks.

Yeah, the Gold Glove is usually pretty meaningless. Often times, they just keep voting for the same people year after year regardless of whether or not they're still good fielders, and in some cases for people who were never good fielders, but are big names. This year's awards seem less offensive than usual, but there are still a few dubious picks.

As a die hard Mets fan I can tell you that Beltran is the 3rd best CF on the team and David Wright cannot make a throw to first. So, yeah, I'd say this year's picks are pretty dubious.

Here's the list for those who haven't seen it.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C Ivan Rodriguez, DET

1B Kevin Youkilis, BOS

2B Placido Polanco, DET

3B Adrian Beltre, SEA

SS Orlando Cabrera, LAA

OF Ichiro Suzuki, SEA

OF Torii Hunter, MIN

OF Grady Sizemore, CLE

P Johan Santana, MIN

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C Russell Martin, LAD

1B Derrek Lee, CHC

2B Orlando Hudson, ARI

3B David Wright, NYM

SS Jimmy Rollins, PHI

OF Carlos Beltran, NYM

OF Andruw Jones, ATL

OF Jeff Francoeur, ATL

OF Aaron Rowand, PHI

P Greg Maddux, SD

Seems awfully dubious to me. I'd say there are 9 picks I don't agree with at all, and a couple of more I'd argue.

I think Yadi is the best defensive catcher in all of baseball. He may be the best I've ever seen since maybe Bench. Martin led the NL in errors! Yadi threw out 50% of the base stealers compared with Martin's 28%. Yadi led the NL in assists. Yadi did have two stints on the DL but come on! I love how these managers and coaches that voted tell their players to not even take a big lead, let alone steal, with Yadi behind the plate but they don't vote for him!

Lee is probably the most graceful fielding first baseman, but Pujols or Helton are right up there too.

I thought I read throughout the season that Andruw Jones' fielding had dropped significantly...that his range just shrunk.

I am a Tigers fan and either watched or listened to about 98% of Detroit's games last year. There is absolutely no wayvthat Pudge deserves the Gold Glove. I will admit that his percentage for throwing out runners had a lot to do with the young pitching staff, but he had way too many passed balls, wild pitches that should have been passed balls, and his throws to second were horrible most of the time. Pudge got it on reputation alone. I am glad to see that Polanco got it for 2nd. He definitely deserved it. Personally I think that Curtis Granderson should have gotten it over Seizmore. Seizmore wouldn't be able to make the highlight type plays he does if he played half of his games in Comerica Park, which has so much ground to cover.

The Red Sox have inquired about the Rangers' catching situation, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Coco Crisp for Gerald Laird would make sense, as would Jacoby Ellsbury for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. It's doubtful the latter has been seriously discussed, but the former might have been. The Red Sox could ask for a little more in return (Engel Beltre, the third player they gave up for Eric Gagne at the deadline, is someone they'd probably like to have back), but it wouldn't be an awful deal as a one-for-one. Laird would serve as Jason Varitek's backup for a year and then become a candidate to start in 2009.

Judging a catcher based on the percentage of runners he throws out can be dicey. Sometimes the guys who are best at throwing out attempted base stealers still have a low percentage of guys they catch, because over time people tend to run on them less, and so when they do, it is only when they're certain they're going to make it, or in situations where the catcher doesn't really have a chance.

I would have loved to have seen Granderson win it -- he's certainly worthy -- but I also think that Sizemore is a fine choice.

I think Laird would be a poor choice, regarldess:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...x_close/?page=2

"Epstein also addressed the backup catcher situation and kidded that he likely would assign the task of finding one to his assistants, Jed Hoyer and Ben Cherington. He didn't rule out Doug Mirabelli or Kevin Cash returning, nor did he say that the backup will be Wakefield's personal catcher.

"It's interesting, because I think the industry is looking for catching," Epstein said. "There's that perception out there that we desperately need to find Jason's successor. Personally, I think Jason has a lot of catching left.

"We have pretty good minor league catching. [George] Kottaras, he obviously really struggled in the first half. What he did in the second half, it's pretty promising. Dusty Brown has taken huge strides forward."

Judging a catcher based on the percentage of runners he throws out can be dicey. Sometimes the guys who are best at throwing out attempted base stealers still have a low percentage of guys they catch, because over time people tend to run on them less, and so when they do, it is only when they're certain they're going to make it, or in situations where the catcher doesn't really have a chance.

Also, many times, a catcher is only as good as his pitcher's pickoff move or ability to get the ball to the plate quickly.

According to the Boston Globe, general manager Theo Epstein met Wednesday with agent Scott Boras, who "was ready to make a Boston-specific Rodriguez presentation to the Sox' brass, complete with charts and graphs on the revenue streams associated with the third baseman."

Epstein noted afterward that the Red Sox didn't pursue the meeting, but Rodriguez has reportedly told friends that he'd like to play in Boston. "I think there's a realization in baseball that if you try to keep things the same, it will change on you anyway," Epstein said. "Players age and players change, chemistry changes, payroll structures change. Better to be proactive and try to find the right mix for now and in the future, rather than let it happen to you."