Hot Stove League '07-'08

Phillies acquire Lidge in 5-player trade (AP)

The Philadelphia Phillies became the first team to make a big move at the general managers' meetings, acquiring closer Brad Lidge from Houston along with infielder Eric Bruntlett on Wednesday night. The Astros received speedy outfielder Michael Bourn, right-hander Geoff Geary and minor league third baseman Mike Costanzo.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ST. LOUIS - An Illinois woman is suing the St. Louis Cardinals for allowing a text message that falsely suggested her daughter has a sexually transmitted disease to be posted on the ballpark's message board during a game.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court, claims the 17-year-old girl was so traumatized by the message last year during a class trip that she stayed out of school the rest of the semester and took her finals in a school office to avoid ridicule.

The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 in damages from the Cardinals, alleging the ballclub negligently failed to properly screen the messages, which fans may submit for a small fee to display on Busch Stadium's electronic message board.

The Cardinals "published the text consciously disregarding whether the text was true or not,'' the lawsuit reads.

Messages left Thursday with the Cardinals and the family's attorney, Bob Perica of Wood River, Ill., were not immediately returned.

The lawsuit, which identifies the mother only as "C.B.'' and the daughter as "A.B.,'' does not name a classmate who allegedly posted the message.

According to the lawsuit, the teenager was with her classmates at Busch for a game against the Kansas City Royals on May 19, 2006, when a girl schoolmate called the ballpark's message board and, using the daughter's name, texted, "(A.B.) has an STD! Eww!''

Workers for or agents of the Cardinals "approved the message to go on the board,'' and it was posted during the game that drew a turnout of more than 48,000, the lawsuit claims.

The teenager never has had a sexually transmitted disease, according to the suit.

The Cardinals "owed a duty of reasonable care to all fans in attendance,'' including the teenager, and breached that by posting the defamatory message "to anyone who could read,'' the lawsuit alleges.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21697597/

the chatter is that this offer was made a few days ago, and has already gotten cold. :(

ORLANDO -- While they are not sending out any take-it-or-leave-it signals to his camp, the Red Sox made a three-year guaranteed offer to third baseman Mike Lowell, that one club source described as
ST. LOUIS - An Illinois woman is suing the St. Louis Cardinals for allowing a text message that falsely suggested her daughter has a sexually transmitted disease to be posted on the ballpark's message board during a game.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court, claims the 17-year-old girl was so traumatized by the message last year during a class trip that she stayed out of school the rest of the semester and took her finals in a school office to avoid ridicule.

The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 in damages from the Cardinals, alleging the ballclub negligently failed to properly screen the messages, which fans may submit for a small fee to display on Busch Stadium's electronic message board.

The Cardinals "published the text consciously disregarding whether the text was true or not,'' the lawsuit reads.

Messages left Thursday with the Cardinals and the family's attorney, Bob Perica of Wood River, Ill., were not immediately returned.

The lawsuit, which identifies the mother only as "C.B.'' and the daughter as "A.B.,'' does not name a classmate who allegedly posted the message.

According to the lawsuit, the teenager was with her classmates at Busch for a game against the Kansas City Royals on May 19, 2006, when a girl schoolmate called the ballpark's message board and, using the daughter's name, texted, "(A.B.) has an STD! Eww!''

Workers for or agents of the Cardinals "approved the message to go on the board,'' and it was posted during the game that drew a turnout of more than 48,000, the lawsuit claims.

The teenager never has had a sexually transmitted disease, according to the suit.

The Cardinals "owed a duty of reasonable care to all fans in attendance,'' including the teenager, and breached that by posting the defamatory message "to anyone who could read,'' the lawsuit alleges.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21697597/

Back in HS I went to an Angels game with a bunch of friends and a few of us called in one of those messages to f' with some of our friends who were going with us. "Happy Anniversary Mike and Mark" or something like that. Good, clean, mid-80's, South Orange County homophobic fun. Ah, good times.

The Tigers have traded Omar Infante for Jacque Jones.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the Tigers don't really have a place for Infante, and need a left fielder, which is where Jones will be playing. On the other hand, Infante is still really young, and Jones is old, overpaid, and coming off a really bad season. I'm not too optimistic that he will bounce back, but have high hopes.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the Tigers don't really have a place for Infante, and need a left fielder, which is where Jones will be playing. On the other hand, Infante is still really young, and Jones is old, overpaid, and coming off a really bad season. I'm not too optimistic that he will bounce back, but have high hopes.

Minor detail coming from a Cubs fan. Jacque Strap did have a struggling season with alot of trade talks. I guess we finally unloaded him. He was on his way out. We are overloaded with OFs and he seemed best to trade.

Will tell you he never got that comfy here. The fans didnt give him a fair chance and he struggled. At times he did go on some real good hot streaks. He is a decent player and maybe he will show that in Detriot. I always stuck up for him cause I thought he got alot of negativity from Cubs fans. Last year was bad for him, but I feel he could have a few more decent years in him. Hope Infante can help us.

Pedroia was definately the right choice. Congrats to him.

Minor detail coming from a Cubs fan. Jacque Strap did have a struggling season with alot of trade talks. I guess we finally unloaded him. He was on his way out. We are overloaded with OFs and he seemed best to trade.

Will tell you he never got that comfy here. The fans didnt give him a fair chance and he struggled. At times he did go on some real good hot streaks. He is a decent player and maybe he will show that in Detriot. I always stuck up for him cause I thought he got alot of negativity from Cubs fans. Last year was bad for him, but I feel he could have a few more decent years in him. Hope Infante can help us.

I always liked Infante, but there were some issues between him and Leyland (as evidenced by the fact that he was often behind Neifi Perez in the depth chart) that never really got explained to the media. The rumor is that he has some work ethic issues, but I thought he showed a lot of promise in his years in Detroit. He's still young, and has shown himself to be a decent middle infielder, and willing to play other positions as well. I hope he ends up turning in a solid career.

I always liked Infante, but there were some issues between him and Leyland (as evidenced by the fact that he was often behind Neifi Perez in the depth chart) that never really got explained to the media. The rumor is that he has some work ethic issues, but I thought he showed a lot of promise in his years in Detroit. He's still young, and has shown himself to be a decent middle infielder, and willing to play other positions as well. I hope he ends up turning in a solid career.

HA! Neifi was from the Cubs and I hated him. He wasnt good at all and he kept getting playing time. It was like he was Dusty Baker's favorite pet. I was happy to see him leave. Cant believe he got caught for steriods, all of all people him?

HA! Neifi was from the Cubs and I hated him. He wasnt good at all and he kept getting playing time. It was like he was Dusty Baker's favorite pet. I was happy to see him leave. Cant believe he got caught for steriods, all of all people him?

So I'm sitting in Comerica Park for Game 1 of the 2006 World Series. The ESPN Baseball Tonight crew had their setup in centerfield right over my right-hand shoulder. When the game was out of hand, the Tigers put Neifi in at SS as a defensive replacement over Ramon Santiago. With a guy on first base, Pujols hits a screamer up the middle when, out of nowhere, Neifi makes a diving stop and flips it to Polanco to start a doubleplay. I stand up, turn to the ESPN Baseball Tonight crew, and scream at Dusty Baker (who was on the set) over a 1,000 people's heads, "Hey Dusty, that's your boy!" Dusty Baker looks at me (with Karl Ravich, Steve Phillips, and John Kruk all laughing), smiles, fit bumps his chest over his heart, and yells "you bet that's my boy!" True story.

That is all.

So I'm sitting in Comerica Park for Game 1 of the 2006 World Series. The ESPN Baseball Tonight crew had their setup in centerfield right over my right-hand shoulder. When the game was out of hand, the Tigers put Neifi in at SS as a defensive replacement over Ramon Santiago. With a guy on first base, Pujols hits a screamer up the middle when, out of nowhere, Neifi makes a diving stop and flips it to Polanco to start a doubleplay. I stand up, turn to the ESPN Baseball Tonight crew, and scream at Dusty Baker (who was on the set) over a 1,000 people's heads, "Hey Dusty, that's your boy!" Dusty Baker looks at me (with Karl Ravich, Steve Phillips, and John Kruk all laughing), smiles, fit bumps his chest over his heart, and yells "you bet that's my boy!" True story.

That is all.

They both played at SF together and somewhere Neifi earned a gold glove. Never showed playing for Chicago. He probably had one good year in his whole career that Dusty cant forget. Glad Niefi is gone along with Dusty. I am liking Lou alot here in Chicago. Just a likable guy. Interested to see how things will go next year.

Didn't Jones hit .283 w/ 66 RBI? I mean it isn't a hall of fame season but it is pretty good for what will amount to be a platoon guy who will bat probably 8th in the line-up. It will just be nice to have another left handed bat in the line-up. I think the trade made sense. We were going to get rid of Infante anyway. We had no use for him. Does anybody know where Jones batted in the Cubs line-up?

He's going to platoon? With who? Raburn? Maybin?

Anyway, he OPSed 83. Batting average is awfully misleading when a guy doesn't take any walks and has no power at all. Granted, he had some pop in his bat before last season, but he's going to be 33 so things can only go downhill from here.

But you're right that there really wasn't a place for Infante, so they may as well get what they can for him.

You're over it? Don't you at least need to see what you're getting for him first?

I'd love to see a deal with the Dodgers involving Billingsley, Kemp, LaRoche, + for him. That would make me all kinds of ok with him leaving, especially since it's abundantly clear they have no intention of signing him.