• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What made last night's episode so great was how close to reality the deposition scenes were. When Michael basically threw Jan's whole case under the bus during cross examination, I had an eerie sense of deja vu. There is nothing worse than having a witness that you thought was thoroughly prepped completely come off the rails and start to testify to facts that completely undermine your client's case, and you are hearing those facts for the very first time. When you ask your client and the witness why you are hearing such damning facts for the very first time they invariably end up telling you that they didn't tell you before because they thought it would hurt the case, despite the fact that you tell them you want to know everything, good and bad.

I was wondering that too...hubby and I guessed it was his brother (shown in the episode at the Shrute Beet Farm when Jim/Pam stayed the night)? :mellow

Edit: Thanks MJHutch!

Brother Mose

Ah! Last night we even took another look because we felt like we should know who it was... but neither of us remembered Mose! Nice.

The deposition scenes were so filled with irony and layers, it was like watching an intricate card tower being built... that was some prime writing right there. Brilliant stuff. And the scene with Toby at lunch was the kind of awkward, painful humor that I love--I like it when I don't know exactly how to respond to a scene.

I love The Office and 30 Rock too -- never miss an episode... oh wait, I guess we all will until the writer's strike is over.

And, according to The Office writers, the episode the actors had read through, but wasn't filmed due to the strike, was one of the best reads ever. So, just as the Office regains its momentum, it's shut down.

Hopefully, the writers will win soon, I want my TV back already!

Support the writers, sign the petition:

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com

Best episode of the season, hands down. Although I could see Jan's lawsuit coming from a mile away, the writing made it work so well. The show is at its best when Michael's character is more real. When he's aiming to help but messing it up thoroughly. Reading back through the deposition transcript ("Can I go to the bathroom") got the biggest laugh of the season from me.

Eeeuch, yeah. I dunno, I thought this one signified a bit of a dip. I'm definitely a big fan of awkward humour, but there was a very bizarre dichotomy at work throughout the whole of the deposition scene. The show skirted closer to pure drama than it ever has before, but I don't think Michael has ever been portrayed as such an unbelievable man-child (maybe even a full-blown savant of some kind...?). It came dangerously close to falling apart for me, and it really wasn't that funny. Some great character moments towards the end, though, for sure.

After the unutterably brilliant second and third seasons, I can't help feeling that the show is maybe settling into a groove and that the cast and crew are maybe resting on their laurels a bit. That said, Kelly and Pam's rivalry was great. Mindy Kaling, god, when will you marry me, girl?

the office is getting really weird

i sort of like it, tough kind of wish they ended the show after last season

Yeah most of this season has just been ridiculous. Driving into the lake. Survivor Man. Ugh. I don't think it will ever return to Season 2 form. Karen saved Season 3, but now? I guess we'll see if the strike ever ends.

Eeeuch, yeah. I dunno, I thought this one signified a bit of a dip. I'm definitely a big fan of awkward humour, but there was a very bizarre dichotomy at work throughout the whole of the deposition scene. The show skirted closer to pure drama than it ever has before, but I don't think Michael has ever been portrayed as such an unbelievable man-child (maybe even a full-blown savant of some kind...?). It came dangerously close to falling apart for me, and it really wasn't that funny.

Not that funny? Really? I would argue that the "bizarre dichotomy" you describe was partially what fueled some surprisingly nimble comedy, and that what you call "pure drama" was actually closer to "pure deadpan" designed to simmer at very low heat. This season has definitely been lackluster, but this episode, to my mind at least, provided some of the richest, wittiest humor this show has ever achieved.

As for Michael being a man-child, I have to ask: Are you insane? Have you ever seen this show before? His transformation into an unbelievable man-child was virtually the major story arc of last season; I remember noticing the show's shift towards more broad-based comedy, a shift I resented until I realized that it was still really funny, just in a different way.

This season has definitely been lackluster, but this episode, to my mind at least, provided some of the richest, wittiest humor this show has ever achieved.

This is correct. I thought the deposition scene was perfect, but I thought it might just be because I went to law school.

We're catching up on season 3 right now via Netflix, and can't wait to get started on the current season (maybe the writers' strike will let us start at the beginning?).

The disc we just finished (season 3, disc 2 I think) has a segment in the bonus section called "Toby wraparounds" that has some great stuff. Toby has become one of my favorite characters, and this segment elevates him even more.