• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent.

Aman, How I Met Your Mother is a very funny, smart sitcom. It's gone some of the 'typical' sitcom premises, but it's so much better than most sitcoms.

How I Met Your Mother has grown on me over the years. Now it's one of my favorite comedies (great writing and cast, plus some great songs/artists used: Wilco, The Replacements...)

I watched Earl the other day with my girlfriend, and even she is now saying that the show has gone down big time. Personally I thought it started to dwindle after Season 1.

The Office, though not as uniformly great as it once was, still has the ability to make me laugh on occasion. Having said that, I think 30 Rock may have surpassed its NBC rivals to become their best comedy.

How I Met Your Mother has grown on me over the years. Now it's one of my favorite comedies (great writing and cast, plus some great songs/artists used: Wilco, The Replacements...)

I watched Earl the other day with my girlfriend, and even she is now saying that the show has gone down big time. Personally I thought it started to dwindle after Season 1.

The Office, though not as uniformly great as it once was, still has the ability to make me laugh on occasion. Having said that, I think 30 Rock may have surpassed its NBC rivals to become their best comedy.

100% agree with everything here. As far as HIMYM, Ted is borderline irritating and Robin is almost without purpose on the show. That said, the show is pretty good. Earl had me for awhile and lost me. Still a decent show.

30 Rock is fucking brilliant. The Office... anybody remember the bashing it took in here when it first came out. I'll have to try and find that thread (although I've rarely been able to find anything archived). The American version is a great standalone show.

To be fair, the American Office really did not seem like a good idea at the time.

And now that it is good, they will ruin it with a spin-off:

"NBC presented its fall schedule to advertisers Wednesday, and these are the main bits of news from that upfront presentation:

The Office... anybody remember the bashing it took in here when it first came out.

That's because the first few episodes were remakes of the near perfect British version of the show, something that was very irritating to those of us who watched and loved the originals! But the American version really did come into its own eventually. It's a great show.

But you like the US one? It's the same show, same cast of characters, same basic plot lines.....

that totally infers that the most important part of comedy is how it is delivered and who it's deliverd by. i thought the UK version was fine, but the pacing and tone in british comedy is way different than the US. i don't know, the US version just seemed to be more relatable...which is a big part of what makes the show funny.

........the US version just seemed to be more relatable...which is a big part of what makes the show funny.

Exactly! We have figured out the entire "who's who" of the Office characters in the office where I work. I have to smirk every time I see the guy we have who fits the profile of Dwight. He just thinks I am a happy guy. :thumbup

And now that it is good, they will ruin it with a spin-off:

"NBC presented its fall schedule to advertisers Wednesday, and these are the main bits of news from that upfront presentation:

I don't think Ricky Gervais is very funny and he has none of the redeeming quality's michael scott does. I also don't think their "Dwight" or "Jim" were as funny.

I disagree with every single thing you've said here. :stunned

That's because the first few episodes were remakes of the near perfect British version of the show, something that was very irritating to those of us who watched and loved the originals! But the American version really did come into its own eventually. It's a great show.

I was, and am, a big fan of the British version. I just felt that Carrell would bring a different spin to it.... and he clearly has. The American version has a softer side but it is also more laugh out loud funny. British version is much more subtle.

I disagree with every single thing you've said here. :stunned

I was, and am, a big fan of the British version. I just felt that Carrell would bring a different spin to it.... and he clearly has. The American version has a softer side but it is also more laugh out loud funny. British version is much more subtle.

I think this is how I feel, except I didn't really enjoy it, whereas yourboyblue did.