Attention Crafty People

Should I do some nudies - that is, just the scarf on and nothing else?

If it's a true Dr. Who scarf, you should be able to wear it with nothing else and still have your modesty protected. And warmed.

Here's my Etsy site of collage pendants, if anyone's interested.

Those are fantastic! I love the "Coquette?" one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two of my sewing-skilled friends hauled me to fabric stores today. I have enough fabric to make ill-fitting skirts to get me through the rest of my life.

Here's my Etsy site of collage pendants, if anyone's interested.

terrific!

robin, have been meaning to tell you i got the yarn you sent! i put it in a bag with some size 5 dpns for a little session tomorrow! :dancing

robin, have been meaning to tell you i got the yarn you sent! i put it in a bag with some size 5 dpns for a little session tomorrow! :dancing

Yay! :dancing I need to get back on the preemie hats.

I'm on the verge of finishing my very first sweater. Granted, it's a kids size six, but it's still a sweater!

In bad sewing news, I just cut out a skirt the wrong way. As in, I folded the fabric width-wise instead of lengthwise. :brow At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to get rid of my furniture and cover my house in pillows made from skirts I've botched.

• 2 weeks later...

Jen and I both bought some needles at he lovely store we visited yesterday. I wanted to get some DPNs by the same company and looked em up online and was pleased to read this about the company:

We work directly with our producers to provide income, education and self-reliance to Vietnamese women and their families.

In 2004, we established an educational trust fund to benefit the children of these families. The natural materials that inspire our designs are combined with traditional handcrafting skills that have passed down from generation to generation. Our knitting needles are crafted in a family owned and managed business that provides training and opportunities.

With your purchases you help provide a market for these wonderful products and contribute to the economic and social well being of the areas where they are produced.

these are BEAUTIFUL needles......probably the nicest I own.

check em out

http://www.lanternmoon.com/default.asp

I love Lantern Moon's stuff! Unfortunately, I have a hard time using anything but titanium DPNS because I have a death grip. I love them for regular and circulars, though. Good to know they're doing something good.

I'm trying to finish a sweater for Clara Jane in time for Thursday's Wear a Sweater for Mr. Rogers Day. Just have the seams left, which is the part I hate.

• 1 month later...

REVIVING THE THREAD!!

today i started in on a new preemie hat. this is only number 3. robin, i'm still using the yarn you sent. THANKS AGAIN! i will probably get 6 hats from it. :thumbup

as a party favor for the jeff t. living room show i attended this year i made some pot-holders for everyone who was there. (the event doubles as a pot luck. as i travel for the event, i don't cook, so i wanted to contribute something fun other than the beer i usually bring.)

here is a pic that serves as a quick break down of how i constructed them.

potholderdemobetter.jpg

--drew the pix and text, then used a screen printing type device called a gocco printer to print them. it's fabric paint. i made 4 different prints (one design, 2 diff color schemes, 2 diff types of cotton: white and off-white, a warmer neutral)

--layered the printed squares with cotton batting backed with a piece of super-cool fabric. (between the backing and binding fabrics i ended up making 16 diff. combos of pot holders!)

--quilted the layered squares using invisible thread. this was the first time i've used it. i had to do some tension adjusting, but once i found the magic combo, it was easy-peasy to use! i used clear for the lighter fabrics and a smoked color for the darker fabrics.

--cut 2" strips of complimentary fabrics, and pressed as 4 fold binding. initially i was going to give the pot holders curved edges, so made bias binding. curved corners were a pain. it was much easier to not make bias binding and miter the corners of each pot holder.

--after trimming up the squares i attatched the binding to one side, sewed the inside seam, turned the binding, mitering the corners. at the corner i left a tail of binding, finished the open edge, tucked it in to the binding to create the loop.

--top stitched the binding

--woo!

i had to experiment a bit to come up with the right binding width. asthetically thin ≠ workable for pinning. :monkey i didn't take pix of the diff fab combos individually, i just didn't have time before i left for chicago. there were several made of 1930's reproduction prints (geometrics!), some pucci, some modern graphics, and some fun stuff. you can see some of them in the pic.

turns out they were a huge hit at the party! it was really fun to see who picked which fabric combo.

REVIVING THE THREAD!!

today i started in on a new preemie hat. this is only number 3. robin, i'm still using the yarn you sent. THANKS AGAIN! i will probably get 6 hats from it. :thumbup

as a party favor for the jeff t. living room show i attended this year i made some pot-holders for everyone who was there. (the event doubles as a pot luck. as i travel for the event, i don't cook, so i wanted to contribute something fun other than the beer i usually bring.)

YAY! I've been hoping for a thread revival, but too lazy to do it myself.

I still need to churn out a few more preemie hats. Six sounds about right for that yarn. That's without question my favorite baby yarn in the world. I love that it's 100% cotton and it still washes well. I'm going through a lot of it these days. Clara Jane's teacher is pregnant, so I'm making a set of bibs for her. And I know four babies due in August. What the hell was going on in November, People? Geez. For obvious reasons I can't reveal some of what I'm knitting. ;)

I bought a knitting magazine over the weekend with the cutest bootie pattern. They look like white socks with Mary Janes. I've got lots of black and white worsted weight yarn, so I might do some of those to donate, since I'm tired of hats.

Yvon, I just about cried when I first saw those pot holders! I was kicking myself for not going to a LRS in the first place. Those pot holders are so damn cute that it was insult to injury. You did a fabulous job on them! I'm a huge fan of quilted potholders; that's all I use.

How cool!

i want a gocco

they are SUPER RAD!!

one time using it and i was really excited to make more stuff! EASY and inspiring. the only limitation is size: gocco stopped making the large format printers, so my screens were about 4" x 6".

i drew a black & white high contrast drawing. you put it into the printer, lay a light sensitive screen over it, expose it to a flash of light (the printer has this built in--you put flash bulbs into the printer, press down, they pop)...VOILA!! a screen for printing.

you can use as many diff colors as you want at ONE time. the only caveat is that they will bleed after so many printings. i liked the look when the black from the guitar printing slipped into the orange lettering. very analog. :thumbup

you load up your screen with LOTS of paint, then start printing. there is a certain amount of trial and error involved to get a nice print. i made DOZENS of those squares. i just weeded out the lower quality of them (they are in an envelope in my apt...what will become of them? :huh )

again, credit where credit is due: i learned to use the gocco printer AND used it all day with rad tutelage at the Urban Craft Center in Santa Monica. they were enthusiastic about my project and supportive about getting the printing right.

I LOVE THEM. :wub

HERE IS A LINK TO AN ETSY PAGE ALL ABOUT GOCCO RADNESS: etsy loves gocco, too!

ps. robin: cotton that washes up nice is a rare and beautiful thing!

• 3 weeks later...

last friday i finished another "rescued from the depths of my closet" project: another baby quilt done in kaleidescope pattern!

WOO!

this one was also 5 years in the making. it's now laundered and spread on my bed. i was ready to give it to the intended gift recipients, but am now considering submitting it to the county fair! it's not an old-school quality prize winner, but it's really pretty. and i think it would hold its own on display with the other entries.

i dl'd the entry qualifications. my quilt may not fit under any of the proper size classes. i'll measure it up tonight.

i'll post a pic when i get my film developed. *analog*

fun fact: i sign, date and embroider a phrase on each quilt when i finish it. the phrase on the back of this one is, "churro of understanding."

it's a play on the title of a film my friend made titled "corndog of tolerance." (probaby on youtube, btw.)

• 1 month later...

ok kids, what's cookin?

in an effort to kick start work on a blanket i've been knitting (and not knitting) for YEARS i ordered some of the yarn i'd run out of.

turns out i ordered the wrong color. :frusty so now i've got to order it again. meh.

in the mean time: i set up the sewing machine to do some quilting. sunday night i got through about ONE THIRD of the quilting to be done on this kid's sized blanket. hooray!!

i'm still trying to wrap up those languishing projects before starting something new. june was too busy for much crafting, but july might be better suited.

what are you all working on? :w00t