Attention Crafty People

sis-sooie-i always thought those looms knit tubes. who knew?! a couple of the patterns on that link look cool. (the pic of the bonnet on a doll is quite creepy, tho.)

poppy: LOVE the feedsack quilt. the colors of that era are distinctive. that pale green/aqua, pink, brown and yellow.

how wonderful that your granny found quilt tops made by her mother and finished them!

a couple of years ago my sisters sent me two pieced tops made by my (long deceased) grandma with the request that i finish them for my sisters. :lol now that i'm thinking about it: that is a pretty great project to look at during this period of unemployment craft-a-go-go!

if you are considering doing a patchwork, but don't have experience sewing, consider doing it by hand. that way it's portable: you just stitch 2 pieces together at a time. also: don't be afraid to make big squares.

still thinking of finding some quilt pix...

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You knit? Who knew?

I don't even know you anymore

sis-sooie-i always thought those looms knit tubes. who knew?! a couple of the patterns on that link look cool. (the pic of the bonnet on a doll is quite creepy, tho.)

Yeah my scarf is a tube but it has fringe on it so you can't really tell. its also nice to stuff your hands in when its cold. There is a way to knit panels. I just haven't figured it out.

I was supposed to know this because of all the yarn goodies you've showered upon me.

:rolleyes

I was unaware that you wore yarn things. All I can make is a tube scarf. I have only made two. one is hot pink with black fringe. The other is......I don't remember. If I start now you may have one by your birthday.

I was unaware that you wore yarn things. All I can make is a tube scarf. I have only made two. one is hot pink with black fringe. The other is......I don't remember. If I start now you may have one by your birthday.

FYI: My birthday was moved to January because of gas prices.

I am now working on Em's Christmas present......which will look like this (I posted this in the xmas thread)

www.helloyarn.com-piratehat.jpg

though the skulls are more of a tan color in mine......

I finished the 49er legwarmers and they are being sent out tomorrow....

2110469091_19b576049e.jpg

I can't wait to see the finished skull hat! Your ability to do colorwork ... I'm jealous!

I say that because I'm supposed to be working on that damn colorwork felted purse right now and I'm terrified I'm screwing it up again. I'll be so glad when Christmas is over and I can work on the pair of Fetching gloves for my friend, the three pairs of socks that are gathering dust, and the Fetching-inspired hat for myself. I also want to make Calorimetry. And the really pretty Veronik Avery lace cardigan I bought 24 skeins of yarn to make.

I say this every year, and I'm going to say it again: no more knitted gifts! From here on out, I only knit for myself, Baby.

Sis sooie, how does that loom contraption work?

Robin - you should try this skull pattern - it is nice because as far as I can tell you don't have to carry the yarn at any point - therefore, you don't have to do a lot of twisting and untwisting. The only thing I am unsure of is when I get to knitting the inner liner. I have never done anything like that. So, we'll see!

I'd like to get my hands on the colorwork purse you are doing and see how you are doing it. When I see you you can show me some sock tricks and I can show you some colorwork tricks. :)

Ooooooh, I am going to do that Calorimetry pattern......I could use one of those!!

I found a GREAT fingerless glove pattern in a colorwork book - and I will buy the book when I am more confident in my abilities.

Robin - you should try this skull pattern - it is nice because as far as I can tell you don't have to carry the yarn at any point - therefore, you don't have to do a lot of twisting and untwisting. The only thing I am unsure of is when I get to knitting the inner liner. I have never done anything like that. So, we'll see!

That's a new one for me, too. My friend OtherRobin just started knitting about a month ago, and she's already done two colorwork scarves, including a skull one for her husband. It's fabulous!

I'd like to get my hands on the colorwork purse you are doing and see how you are doing it. When I see you you can show me some sock tricks and I can show you some colorwork tricks. :)

I'll copy it for you, if you want it. The designer's from St. Louis and it looks like she's finally put it online! Here it is. When I bought it I figured I'd do the mountain bag for my mom and the poppies for me. I just finished the tip of the mountain and will be felting in 15 more rows. If it doesn't fall apart and it's presentable, well, I'll still need to pick your brain for the poppy bag because it's more complex.

oh man, intarsia....my first go with that mst3k scarf was in intarsia, and it looked awful. So, I ripped it, redesigned it, and am doing it in the round. I prefer to carry colors instead of doing intarsia. However, when you have to carry behind large areas of solid color it doesn't look good either. bah.

Are you getting holes and puckering where you change colors? Do you get some bubbling on your purl lines? A woman suggested to me that since most people purl looser than knit that you use a needle one gauge smaller on the purl side. Though I bet when you felt it, all the places you have problems with will get better. I have never felted - but I am assuming it makes things more forgiving?

I may redo the MST3K scarf again and try that needle method. I may also try a new thinner yarn. The more I knit, the more I like thin yarn and small needles. That skull hat is on size 3 needles.....love it.

The bots are going to make my daughter lose her mind, and they'll eat through a bunch of the half-empty balls of yarn in my stash. Yay! :dancing

The intarsia was not fun. At all. But the good news is, the felted part survived the felting process! I at least got the colorwork part right! It looks decent, but I'm not 100% happy with it. The areas where I had long carries did pucker. I've got an overwhelming urge to snip the carries and tie them, but I'm afraid they'll fall apart. Not sure why. I also made a dumb felting mistake. I ran out of the main color after my first attempt. Instead of making the trip to St. Louis to get the Cascade 220 I used for the rest of the bag, I skimped and bought some Lion Brand wool. It didn't felt nearly as well as the other parts. :hmm Get what you pay for, I guess.

This was cool - the kiddo and I went to Barnes & Noble for storytime today. I had to stop in the DVD/music department to get something for my mom. The guy who helped me complimented my scarf and asked if I made it. Of course I did. :) It's this one. He asked me about the fiber content of the yarn (alpaca, merino and silk), which made sense after he told me that he and his wife own a little alpaca farm. We swapped info and now I have a good source for local, small-farm raised alpaca fleece for my spinning and dyeing friends!

love that vine pattern! i tried to knit it once with mohair: didn't quite work out. :lol

i've tried to carry yarn, but am still awkward with it; however, i really dig intarsia.

i finished knitting the gloves today. just need to weave in the ends.

have also picked up a long dormant kids' quilt from the closet-o-stuff. it's a churn dash block in bright print fabrics. it was intended as a gift, but after all the blocks were finished i decided to go with a different look.

so.

i laid the blocks out last night. today i've got them ready for pinning and sewing. (sure wish i had a digital camera to share stuff.)

also: now that the gloves are knit, i'm putting the goods for the second in a pair of socks begun at least a year ago, into my knitting bag. it's this pattern: DSCF6761.jpg

from "knitting vintage socks"

love that vine pattern! i tried to knit it once with mohair: didn't quite work out. :lol

I've never done anything with mohair that worked.

i finished knitting the gloves today. just need to weave in the ends.

Pics? :shifty

DSCF6761.jpg

from "knitting vintage socks"

Gorgeous! I love that book, too.

I've got two pairs of socks in process and I'd much rather work on them than the scarf I need to finish for my dad's Christmas.

oooh dig the socks!!

Evonne - I swear I saw you knitting a fair isle baby sweater once?

It's funny how people have their preferences - fair isle vs. intarsia

very cool bots! I may have to make some for my friend's kiddos.

FYI - this is my favorite VC thread!! :)

Robin - oooh alpaca?? I wish I knew how to dye and spin - there is a small organic farm out here that does workshops on spinning. One of these days......

www.esthersplacefibers.com

I've got spinning friends, and Brian has expressed an interest in learning. My friend Rachel, the yarn dyer/Knitorious manager, has offered her husband's yarn-spinning instruction. Must get on that!

kate, i was doing that in intarsia. that was the last one i've done. i love the repeated pattern of the skull beanie (rad gift to get from one's mom, btw). i'd like to do a repeated motif on something...

(hey, i have a house guest who offered up some digital photo time to help me post some pix! woo! and as we just had dinner which included a round of fucking awesome vietnamese coffee, we may get those up sometime tonight :monkey )