Attention Crafty People

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

poppy-were the fabric layers tied in the middle and serged on the edges? i've got a fabric for 3 such blankets in my closet. i'd planned to just layer and quilt them.

My friend didn't do any ties; she just serged the edges. They would have been even better if they'd had some sort of quilting, though. After so much use and a zillion trips through the laundry, the fabric has shifted and puckered a bit.

If you want to see the blankets up close, I should have time today to take pictures of them. Just let me know. :)

2153839242_c979449bf3.jpg

These days, it seems that the speaking of truth can be a revolutionary act.

In many traditions the color blue represents truth. In wearing the color blue around one's neck, it symbolizes the speaking of truth. I have stitched the Hebrew word for truth "emet" into this. I am still messing with the lettering chart and am going to experiment with different yarns and gauges.....but I want to start a blue scarf revolution!

That's so fab, Kate! You know about last year's Red Scarf Project, right?

If you can make a color chart for those of us who are colorwork impaired, I'll gladly make a scarf and spread the word.

Tomorrow morning, my hungover friends and I will be hitting the fabric store sales. I've got grand ambitions of making curtains for my entire house. Can't wait to see what a great job I do with measuring my windows tomorrow morning.

The needles on my serger are uneven. I'm pretty sure mine is supposed to be that way...It works.

thanks!

i think that IS how it's supposed to be. the instructions call for the needles to be seated as far in as they will go. the illustrations don't show the needles uneven, but what'reyougonnado? as you say: It works. :badger

I'm in a foul sewing-related mood. I don't ask for help very often, but I'd asked one of my sewing friends to help me fabric-shop for my curtains and I'd asked my husband the engineer to measure the windows and help me figure out how much fabric I might need. They both flaked on me. :ohwell

Screw it. I'm saving myself the time and frustration by going to Target tomorrow and buying some sweatshop-manufactured curtains.

oh, poppy! lame!

maybe you should just go to the fabric store to just get the juices flowing. if nothing else, you can make rectangles, fold over a bit at the top and slip a pressure cafe rod in there. straight seams, no hardware.

another option: sew the panels, add clip on loops at the top, use the cafe rod.

(i've got these panels with loops and cafe rods in my living room, dining room AND bedroom. i'm in a rental apt. with vert. blinds. instead of having to take down all that hardware, etc, i just put the pressure/spring bars IN the window frame.)

21RJ3GF4QWL._AA280_.jpg

pACE2-982896reg.jpg

Thanks for the recommendtions, Yvon. I think I'm going to ditch the pattern and just go for simple. We've got 9' ceilings throughout the house, and I'm mainly looking to add some visual interest to all that space with curtains. The windows all have great coverings already (bamboo shades in the living room, vintage blinds and shutters in the master bedroom), so I don't have to worry myself with light-blocking fabrics and such. I can sew hems and a case for the rods, surely!

At my old house, we had awnings on the outside of all the windows, so I did these snazzy no-sew cafe curtains. I put big brass grommets in the top for the rod, and pinking sheared the edges. They were so cute, but really wouldn't match the style of the new house. I loved them, though.

What a brilliant idea for a place! I would join you with my beads if I could. :)

the urban craft center is terrific! it's a big studio space with sky lights and a loft.

i ended up spending five hours there! felted my bag in the washing machine, layered and pin-basted a quilt on one of the giant tables, then blocked the felted bag.

it was terrific to have all that space. at home, i usually have to shuffle stuff around to create work space.

one more thing: since jan 1 i've been sorting fabric. i've been stashing fabric for YEARS without taking the time to use it. everytime i want to find one type of fabric, i would pull all these cartons out of the closet and exclaim, "oh! i forgot about this!" and "this is gorgeous/hysterical/fantastic/fucking awful!"

so. i'm on the last carton now. my couch is covered end to end with color coordinated stacks of cotton. and the floor. and coffee table... :blink

I don't think I'd ever leave if I had access to the Urban Craft Center! That's too cool!

I've been sick for the past few days, and it's been a good excuse to plow through some knitting. Today I started the Fetching gloves a friend asked me to make.

I made a Calorimetry headband in just a few hours. Love this pattern! If I have enough yarn left over from the gloves, I'm going to make this to my friend, too. Here's mine:

2167593197_3fa3c72628.jpg

I love how the purple spot in the center is the same shade as the purple in my hair. :stunned

I'm almost finished with this bag. Mine's black with hot pink squares. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.

There's been some sock work in there, too.

I had to wait for a prescription yesterday, and the pharmacy happened to be next to Hobby Lobby. I decided to kill some time there, and hit the jackpot on fabric for my curtains. I got a lovely decorator fabric with a poppy print, clearanced to $2/yard! They only had three yards, so I doubt if I'll have enough to make curtains for my living room, but for that price and that design, I'll make it work somewhere in this house.

poppy the head wrap looks terrific! i've been looking for yarn in my cupboard that fits the gauge.

the vertigo bag is rad! love the anti site. never been there before.

i've only felted one thing before. this time around i really understood the power of blocking. kate, i knit a bag based on the messenger bag pattern in "knitting for peace." i had to grapple with the felt once it was out of the washer. initially i'd tried to felt it in a commercial washer, only to have it go through a spin cycle. :thumbdown the flap is a bit distorted, but i'll just trim it up.

also: i also knit this in lamb's pride. WOOLY with HIGH SHED POTENTIAL. :lol

poppy the head wrap looks terrific! i've been looking for yarn in my cupboard that fits the gauge.

I did it in plain ol' worsted weight on size eight needles. It's pretty big, but that's what I was aiming for as I have a watermelon-sized noggin and gigantic hair.

the vertigo bag is rad! love the anti site. never been there before.

She released a book recently. I don't know if I'll buy it, but it was fun to glance through.

I broke my new serger already. I tried to sew something a little to thick, ok a lot too thick, and it broke a needle and bent the upper looper. I had to spend $63 to get it fixed. UGH!! It's not as heavy duty as my regular sewing machine. I have to get used to that.

all done!

2171109924_e9f7eb5199.jpg

I am making a bunch of these for my friends' kids for Valentine's Day.....though I am going to go down on the needle size a bit if I continue with sport or DK weight......sitches are just a wee bit too big for colorwork. It's VERY stretchy too - so smaller needles won't be an issue.

Already got another on the needles, but ran out of red!! Oops!

2170316659_364e34a428.jpg

I broke my new serger already. ...It's not as heavy duty as my regular sewing machine. I have to get used to that.

bummer! you have to give yourself credit for taking the machine in for repair right away. one often hears tales of "*** has a machine but it hasn't worked in years."

also, thanks for road testing the hardiness of the serger and sharing the info!

i think the tension on a serger is incredibly testy and if you have one needle too tight you can really screw it up, because it will break a needle which then drops into the timing of the machine. That happened with my regular Janome machine and it was $140 to fix!