• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about a project using this yarn?

VHF.jpg

I just wanted to see the eyeball yarn again.

I had a thought ... since Nat was crafty and a midwife, what if we all did a craft to donate in her name? It could be a quilt/blanket for Project Linus, or baby/kid hats for our local crisis nursery. Or anything.

something in the spirit of nat! oh good!

i'd been thinking of a way to incorporate her into something i'm making. right now, it's adding "Natopia" banner into the quilting i'm doing. :wub

That's a beautiful idea! I should really learn to knit.

You could use this as an excuse. Since Nat was an animal lover, you can get some cheap acrylic yarn, make some simple squares (they usually need 12" x 12"), and donate them to an animal shelter. They use them as padding/bedding for cages. It's a great way to learn to cast on, knit, and bind off, which is really all you need to know in knitting.

I can't knit, but I can make beads! I sent Nat a pair of bumblebee earrings last year.

(Aman can vouch for my complete lack of knitting skillz ... I made him a scarf our first Christmas that looked more like an afghan.)

I can't knit, but I can make beads! I sent Nat a pair of bumblebee earrings last year.

Aw! I'll bet they're beautiful! Your bead skills are amazing.

(Aman can vouch for my complete lack of knitting skillz ... I made him a scarf our first Christmas that looked more like an afghan.)

You could donate it to the Humane Society ... :)

Aw! I'll bet they're beautiful! Your bead skills are amazing.

You could donate it to the Humane Society ... :)

don't give him any ideas. Sad as it was, I slaved over that thing.

Tracy - here is the one I am making for myself......I also wanted Robin to see it.

2179065787_1a3afae3c8.jpg

2179854398_469e976f6a.jpg

I thought I would show you the results, in case you liked that color.

(Tracy is going to make me some homemade buttons in trade for one of these!! :wub I am really excited!!)

Tracy - here is the one I am making for myself......I also wanted Robin to see it.

2179065787_1a3afae3c8.jpg

2179854398_469e976f6a.jpg

I thought I would show you the results, in case you liked that color.

(Tracy is going to make me some homemade buttons in trade for one of these!! :wub I am really excited!!)

Gorgeous, Kate! I love how the varigation is coming through. You definitely got the hang of the short row technique.

I want to broker some sort of knitting-for-beads deal with Tracy! :dancing She was my secret Santa and totally spoiled me with gorgeous stuff. I still need to take pictures and post them.

May you burn in hell, poppydawn, for introducing me to Ravelry. Now, my house is a mess, no dinner made, no knitting done, but a million project ideas! :cheekkiss

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!! Once the new wears off, you'll be a knitting machine. Even less will get done around the house, but damn if you won't do a lot of knitting! Just look at my projects on Ravelry. I've got, like, five or six things in the works. Pre-Ravelry, I never worked on more than one project at a time unless I needed to make gifts.

I think I'm going to grab some yarn and start some preemie caps in memory of Nat.

Doh! My coat rack hook deal.

I figured. I just like the idea of using a scarf as fish bait. I like my knitted items to have both form and function.

I made more than my share of shitty scarves when I first started knitting. Examples:

The 12" long scarf with the lopsided ruffles -

1900199470_e1ea398455.jpg

Boulce + Fun Fur = :yucky

1899352327_5b47809b46.jpg

This was made for a man. Because nothing says, "Father-in-Law, I'm somewhat fond of you," quite like tassles -

1900200596_c44bed1f58.jpg

And those are the early projects deemed successful enough to merit photography! You should see the garbage that didn't make the cut.

I'm still looking for a Tom Baker Dr. Who scarf.

Go for it.

My husband keeps requesting one. I made him a fancy-pants scarf for Christmas two years ago. It was nearly as tall as he is, and he commented that he would have liked it a bit longer. I told him to knit it his damn self.

Scarf length does not correlate with other ... things.

one more thing: since jan 1 i've been sorting fabric. i've been stashing fabric for YEARS without taking the time to use it. everytime i want to find one type of fabric, i would pull all these cartons out of the closet and exclaim, "oh! i forgot about this!" and "this is gorgeous/hysterical/fantastic/fucking awful!"

so. i'm on the last carton now. my couch is covered end to end with color coordinated stacks of cotton. and the floor. and coffee table... :blink

Any big plans for the fabric? I have scads of fabric, two sewing machines, and a serger. I make clothes for my girls in the summer, but I need a new serger project. And now, looking at your projects, I want to learn how to knit. Do I need a class or just a book and motivation?

I started knitting a preemie hat tonight to donate in Natalie's memory. Also did a little research and found a possible place to donate them: Legacy Emanuel Children's Hospital in Portland.

Legacy Emanuel Children's Hospital

2801 North Gantenbein Avenue

Portland, OR 97227

+1 (503) 413-4839

fax: +1 (503) 413-4439

email: vsmith@lhs.org

World Wide Web: http://www.legacyhealth.org

We are a Children's Hospital located within a Level 1 Trauma Center. The children's hospital includes a Neo-natal unit, a pediatric intensive care unit as well as other pediatric services. Donated items can be: baby hats, sweater sets, booties, blankets for infants as well as items for our older children. All donations are greatly appreciated.