Attention Crafty People

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any big plans for the fabric? I have scads of fabric, two sewing machines, and a serger. I make clothes for my girls in the summer, but I need a new serger project. And now, looking at your projects, I want to learn how to knit. Do I need a class or just a book and motivation?

most of the fabric i have was designated for a quilt to-be-named-later, but i will maybe make a couple tote bags (to fit a book, post cards and some knitting--my normal cafe loitering materials). i'm not a purse carrier, but am enjoying the utility of a good tote.

have you sewed fleece on your serger? i hear this is the way to go. fleece might give you a good winter clothes project for the kids. hooded scarves...cute hats...fleece lounge pants...pancho...

kate! the caliormetry looks fab! i knit mine using some Noro i had in the closet. i LOVE it. also knit a pair of hand warmers using the same yarn. the yarn is so varigated that the gloves look like they're from different balls of yarn. :lol

i'm gearing up to take this class:

intro to pattern making

this shop is new, and a couple blocks from my apt. ON MY STREET! easy-peasy.

very excited as i used to fit commercial patterns, but no more. this is all part of my grand plan to use the stuff in the cupboard. YES!!

Damn, Grace is a beautiful child, and her mama is sew talented!

Am I the only person who really doesn't have too clear of an idea what a serger is? And is also too lazy to look it up? :brow

a serger is an overlock sewing machine, meaning that it not only cuts the fabric as it goes thru the machine, but that the threads actually are sewing over the edge that it just cut. Turn a tee shirt (or some other stretchy fabric garment) inside out and check the seam you'll see that the threads OVERLOCK the seam. It makes a lot of things, espcially stretchy fabrics and a lot of silky fabrics, a lot easier to sew and keep from raveling. I used the server to make a sweet red polka dot dress in a rayon fabric that probably would have raveling really badly if i had just used the straight sewing machine. I also use the serger for fleece and when doing my pajamas factory. I can whip up a pair of PJ bottoms in about 10 minutes from start to finish with the serger. If you ever want to make costumes, bathing suits, etc you'll want a serger.

Sergers are a BITCH to thread though. and they aren't (in my mind) as intuitive as a regular sewing machine so when they go wrong they are a lot harder to fix on your own. I got a cheap one--a Brother, for $199 a few years ago and i'm pretty happy with it. I haven't done any sewing since i became a nomad, though but I'm hoping there's room at the new place for me to set up my machines.

cute skirt! (babies DO love the buttons on electronics, don't they. :monkey :lol )

i've been whipping up a pillow case idea to use the left over strip piece stuff from this loud quilt. have decided to do it all on the serger! :pirate

I made this skirt pretty much all on my serger today. I only used the regular machine for top stitching and sewing the casing for the elastic.

2195628496_aba3c0faef.jpg

So adorable! And the skirt looks good, too. :thumbup

yhst_68055111625589_1984_2268465.jpg

I saw this on an online catalog. Serged. Awesome and easy. I wish I had one.

good inspiration, rasberry!

i am doing pretty good staying on project target. i did pick up two patterns yesterday: one for flannel pj pants (this is female specific), one for slips and half-slips.

i've got some rad flannel to use for the pjs and a bunch of men's silk shirts to use for the slips. i've been wanting a less than half slip to wear under my skirts. (they get caught on my tights and bunch up.) in an attempt to use Stuff From My Closet of Fabric

That's cute.

You could always knit the uterus that is out on Knitty. I always thought that one was funny.

I think the original octopus-knitter (who poppydawn got it from) should knit the uterus too, then put the octopus in the uterus, and really confuse her profs by pulling the octopus out at random moments during class. :yes

What can I say, classes used to be a lot more fun when I was in them. B)

Hmmm ... I'm making the octopus as a gift for a friend's son's first birthday. However, his momma's a doula. She'd totally dig the knit uterus.

I seriously considered knitting the little guy a pair of boobies. He's obsessed with mine. Every time I hold him, I eventually have to pry him out of my cleavage.

I'll keep that in mind as I knit more octopodes. There are plans for an octopus army.