The latest Ryan Adams thread

I love RA and think the Cardinals are a good thing (but no Whiskeytown, ya know). However the show they played in DC last October was so bad that I can probably never be persuaded to go to another concert. And again, I'm no RA hater, in fact I think "Pearls on a String" off Easy Tiger is possibly my favorite RA track of all time. Just such, a, bad, show we had here. Everyone says it was a fluke, but I dunno man. It could have been related to the fact that he never even TOUCHED his acoustic guitar the entire show (no shit). It was just sitting at the front of the stage taunting us. I think he broke his hand not superlong before that -- again, I can think of reasons / excuses, but...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Whiskeytown was a band that Ryan was in, The Cardinals are people he hired to play behind him. He may say that he is just one of the band members - but I figure he runs the show. That is the way I see it.

Although - Whiskeytown became that too - at some point. Personally, I liked hearing Ryan sing with Caitlin - that is one of the things that got me into his music.

Yet another thread where people go on about how they dislike Ryan Adams - I look at the Ryan board quite a bit and I have not noticed one thread dissing Wilco - interesting.

\

Yet another thread where people go on about how they dislike Ryan Adams - I look at the Ryan board quite a bit and I have not noticed one thread dissing Wilco - interesting.

mostly because they probably went to a Wilco show and Wilco played and put 100% in, where, apparently Ryan Adams bitches, moans, and, well, fucks around. Sorry, but every time I hear his music and hear about him I just figure out more and more that this guy really thinks he is the shit and not a really mediocre paint by numbers alt cuntry douchebag. As much as I hate Conor Oberst, at least he has his own flair and bombast, Ryan Adams is just plain...well, plain.

I can probably never be persuaded to go to another concert.

Eh, sometimes he's ON and the show is awesome...other times, he just fucks around. You can never be sure which you'll get. In my opinion, you should give him another chance. ;)

Whole heartedly agree w/this lady's statement: He's a gamble. When it pays off it's brilliant.

mostly because they probably went to a Wilco show and Wilco played and put 100% in, where, apparently Ryan Adams bitches, moans, and, well, fucks around. Sorry, but every time I hear his music and hear about him I just figure out more and more that this guy really thinks he is the shit and not a really mediocre paint by numbers alt cuntry douchebag. As much as I hate Conor Oberst, at least he has his own flair and bombast, Ryan Adams is just plain...well, plain.

Well, I disagree. But - do I want to waste more time discussing the merits of Ryan, or lack there of? It is sort of pointless.

Well, I disagree. But - do I want to waste more time discussing the merits of Ryan, or lack there of? It is sort of pointless.

I just figure you can like a guy's music without liking his personality. The guy is fairly damaged and comes off as trying too hard when interviewed or live. He's a talented singer-songwriter and makes good music. I just leave it at that. I will avoid seeing him live again but his discs are buy-worthy in my book. I don't find him "plain" in the least.

I just figure you can like a guy's music without liking his personality. The guy is fairly damaged and comes off as trying too hard when interviewed or live. He's a talented singer-songwriter and makes good music. I just leave it at that. I will avoid seeing him live again but his discs are buy-worthy in my book. I don't find him "plain" in the least.

I saw him - (last spring I think it was) and it was just fine. I suppose I would get upset too if I paid money to see him and he walked off - or whatever. What's that old saying? Most people that have talent are not right in some way - or something along those lines. I don't really listen to very much new music these days - and he is one of the few people still making new music that I listen to - so maybe that factors in here somewhere.

>The guy is fairly damaged and comes off as trying too hard when interviewed or live.

As much as I enjoy almost all of his music, that has been my problem with him in his post-Gold days. He seemed more innocent pre-Gold. Now he comes off to me as trying so hard to be a rock star, rather than just being himself. It's like he's applying principles from Rockstar for Dummies. That being said, at least he more than backs up his schtick with unlimited great music, for which I more than give him the benefit of the doubt.

>the Cardinals kill Whiskeytown as far as I'm concerned.

(Sound of falling off chair.)

i thought his bad stage antics were back in his early solo times.

his recent interviews and fan interaction has all seemed very positive to me.

has he done anything lately, or are people still holding something he did 5 years ago on him?

>The guy is fairly damaged and comes off as trying too hard when interviewed or live.

As much as I enjoy almost all of his music, that has been my problem with him in his post-Gold days. He seemed more innocent pre-Gold. Now he comes off to me as trying so hard to be a rock star, rather than just being himself. It's like he's applying principles from Rockstar for Dummies. That being said, at least he more than backs up his schtick with unlimited great music, for which I more than give him the benefit of the doubt.

>the Cardinals kill Whiskeytown as far as I'm concerned.

(Sound of falling off chair.)

He was fucking irritating in Whiskeytown as well. I've told this story before but my wife and I saw him back in the Whiskeytown days and he spent more time talking about how he hadn't washed his hair than he did singing. Nobody in the audience gave a shit about his innane rambling but that didn't stop him. He came off a bit douche-like. He hasn't changed much over the years.

He's extremely talented and I purchase most of his output. I just try to avoid seeing him live, on Tv, etc. Probably a really good guy...just tries to hard to be weird/rock staresque.

And I agree that the Cardinals are as talented, or more talented, than Whiskeytown in their prime.

>just tries to hard to be weird/rock staresque.

That's exactly it. At Town Hall in NYC last year he wore these huge silver 4-inch platform Ace Frehley boots up to his knees. I found it a bit distracting and part of his "look-at-me" posing.

I am used to larger than life rock stars - that is rock and roll to me - swagger, ego, sexual energy, etc.

It was not until I got into country/alt. country that I ever viewed musicians as so-called normal down to earth people.

OF course - sometimes we think bands are a certain way - "for the people" - and it is later revealed that they are money and power mad just like whatever band they just put down in an interview last week. Case in Point: Nirvana.

I don't see Ryan as being the way people here are describing him - he seems down to earth to me.

I suppose I am being too general in my comments - I know someone who once exchanged actual hand written letters with Pete Townshend. I can't see Jay Farrar doing that. As far as Ryan goes, he does post on the Ryan Adams Archive message board - so that is something.

Also, Ian Hunter, Richard Thompson, and (some others I can't think of at the moment), have a section on their websites where they actually answer fans questions. I think that is pretty cool.