The latest Ryan Adams thread

Well I've said it before on this thread and I'll continue to defend Cardinology (even though it is his weakest album). Yes, it was the first Ryan Adams album for me that contained a few songs I just couldn't listen to, but it really connected with me.

Overall Wilco is my favorite band and they have challenged me and broadened my horizons of what music can be and what songs can do. That being said, no one has ever consistently connected with me like Ryan. I was just listening to The Elizabethtown Sessions and it is just amazing what this guy does. I mean that is a sloppy mess of songs that completely knocks me around emotionally. Ryan can make me feel something within a single note on the guitar, he just does that for me (I sound like some silly fan).

Anyway, has anyone heard any plans from Lost Highway on putting out a retrospective or unearthing any of his piles of unreleased songs. They could do an ongoing volume series of unreleased material. It is crazy.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think he gave up the box set idea...?

why not just release 48 hours? wasn't it ready to be released after gold?

as far as cardinology, i've been hot and cold with it. i'm not a fan of LIH so stop, cobwebs, and even ships do nothing for me. way to much there for me, but i can see how others dig those songs. natural ghost may fit into that category as well. the album would've been pretty good had magick and stop been left off. but, take away ghost, cobwebs, and ships and we got an awesome ep. the easy songs, fix it, and born into the light along with evergreen are just good cardinal songs. i love guitar interplay between neal and ryan. very cool. wish there was more pedal steel. also, if ships, cobwebs and ghost were less bombastic, then we'd have a great album.

ps-i'm trying to make this cd worth the price i paid for it. :)

Cardinalogy for me, is like Rock and Roll. both records seemed to be put out quicker than normal. Cardinalogy was his last effort with Lost Highway, RnR was his effort to appease LH because they didnt prefer LIH. The songwriting seemed hurried so some songs arent delicately crafted or polished as say Cold Roses. But due to his great musicianship, some songs DO really shine and work and motivate. Yes, it is not his best, but there are still worthy tracks on there.

From the perspective of this message board it appears people have given Cardinology a pretty good chance and that is cool.

Also it appears a good deal of us really are into "Love Is Hell"

I think LIH is his masterpiece and I think the critical response at the time is purely based on writer's views of Ryan as an individual and not the music within.

Who doesn't get chills when you hear "Please Do Not Let Me Go"?

I think LIH is his masterpiece and I think the critical response at the time is purely based on writer's views of Ryan as an individual and not the music within.

Well, I think it was partly based on musical expectations as well. I mean, as much as I adore Heartbreaker -- and I'd consider it among the 2 or 3 albums that have shaped me the most -- it really handicapped Ryan in ways I don't think he's ever been able to recover from.

I'm going to have to get Love is Hell.

What about the tune "Let Us Down Easy" ...........Does anybody else like this tune. Reminds me of like a early 70's Stones tune.

Great Song, love the cheezy background vocals

Well, I think it was partly based on musical expectations as well. I mean, as much as I adore Heartbreaker -- and I'd consider it among the 2 or 3 albums that have shaped me the most -- it really handicapped Ryan in ways I don't think he's ever been able to recover from.

I agree, in the sense that it backed him into the corner of the new dylan/singer songwriter thing. I think we all see now that that is just one side of a multi talented dude. I think Heartbreaker also had an astehtic of indie/DIY credibility that was never really Ryan as much as it was likely the situation at the time.

I think Heartbreaker also had an astehtic of indie/DIY credibility that was never really Ryan as much as it was likely the situation at the time.

Good point. I'd never really considered that, but it's become clear (especially lately) that he admires a lot of really high-profile, even modern rock acts. I've even considered that he wrote/recorded Cardinology with the express purpose of playing it in arenas (which he did get to do, touring with Oasis).

Good point. I'd never really considered that, but it's become clear (especially lately) that he admires a lot of really high-profile, even modern rock acts. I've even considered that he wrote/recorded Cardinology with the express purpose of playing it in arenas (which he did get to do, touring with Oasis).

it's ironic that heartbreaker opens with that argument with david rawlings about the smiths. it's like ryan saying, 'hey guys, i love morrisy as much as i love dylan'. just a thought.

His ability to create music of all sizes and form is what I think is so amazing. Take most indie music (which I love) out of the indie music context and it would likely get swallowed up. Ryan has the ability to transcend that. "Magick" or "Halloween Head" take a lot of crap around here, but those songs work on a larger more mainstream level, which is cool in a non cynical way and non jaded way because I know that that is just the tip of the ice berg. And he takes chances (which some people call needing an editor). I have never, however, listened to a Ryan Adams album and thought "man I wished he would have waited 2 years till he had a batch of perfect songs". I welcome every record he puts out, because he has yet to release something that missed the target for me on an emotional level. It is amazing to think Rock and Roll was a toss off middle finger record. I'd take it any day over 99% of modern rock.

And he takes chances (which some people call needing an editor). I have never, however, listened to a Ryan Adams album and thought "man I wished he would have waited 2 years till he had a batch of perfect songs".

In particular, I remember 2005 when he released those three albums and people said similar things about combining them to make one "super album," but there wasn't really one song on any of the three that I'd feel comfortable swapping onto another record... maybe "Carolina Rain" could fit on Jacksonville City Nights, but even then... Cold Roses, to me, is just such a unified collection. There are songs I'm not as fond of ("Beautiful Sorta", "Rosebud") but they belong on that record in a way that's a bit indescribable.

maybe it is cliche for a RA fan, maybe its a musical cliche, but honestly, ive enjoyed/liked/loved most of what he has put out. albums, individual songs,etc....

the only true song i dont care for is from Demolition, Jesus Dont Touch My Baby, sorry....

the only true song i dont care for is from Demolition, Jesus Dont Touch My Baby, sorry....

Terrible, terrible song, I agree. Also, "Enemy Fire" and "Cry On Demand".

I would love to see LH release 48 Hours at some stage (or see Ryan release it on his PaxAm label). 'Walls' and 'Karina' might actually be two of my favourite RA tunes. I can't believe they weren't put on Demolition...

maybe it is cliche for a RA fan, maybe its a musical cliche, but honestly, ive enjoyed/liked/loved most of what he has put out. albums, individual songs,etc....

No No No, I really like that song. That song has some weird vibe about it.

Sink Ships and Stop would have my vote as songs I could do without

I would love to see LH release 48 Hours at some stage (or see Ryan release it on his PaxAm label). 'Walls' and 'Karina' might actually be two of my favourite RA tunes. I can't believe they weren't put on Demolition...

I would love to see this released. It is essentially a finished product and ready and awesome. Even more, my version is poor sound quality.

I would love to see this released. It is essentially a finished product and ready and awesome. Even more, my version is poor sound quality.

Exactly! As much as I like Demolition as a compilation, there are several songs that were overlooked. Perhaps Lost Highway could do a Demolition Volume II with the following:

Walls

Angelina

Like the Twilight

Karina

Dear Anne

Idiots Rule The World

Hey There Mrs. Lovely (infinitely better than These Girls!)

Revelator

Listen to the Radio

Gimme Sunshine

Black Clouds

Exactly! As much as I like Demolition as a compilation, there are several songs that were overlooked. Perhaps Lost Highway could do a Demolition Volume II with the following:

Walls

Angelina

Like the Twilight

Karina

Dear Anne

Idiots Rule The World

Hey There Mrs. Lovely (infinitely better than These Girls!)

Revelator

Listen to the Radio

Gimme Sunshine

Black Clouds

Perfect. This would be in contention for his best record.

i've been listening to the Dear Impossible home demos for some time and would really, really love to see the Cardinalized renderings of these songs surface soon. Sunflowers and Rain is prolly my fav. DRA song right now.