The latest Ryan Adams thread

DRA dropped by the RAA last night to chat with us a bit about new songs, working with Mandy, a Whiskeytown reunion, etc... ok, so there will be no duets with Moore nor will there be a WT reunion but there will be some new songs soon! he said they'll be more striped down and raw, similar to Heartbreaker. of course someone had to be rude and wrote...

I remember the Ryan Adams who seemed embarrassed by Heartbreaker and wanted nothing more than to distance himself from that album. I guess what goes around comes around.

and then DRA counter-attacked...

Funny. I have been Ryan Adams my whole life. Being that dude, I take liberty to create things and then explore my feelings. go figure... I guess I figured "why not" seeing as I am me and those things, those records and songs possibly have a different meaning to me, perhaps more specific, than anyone else.

glad to hear he's still hard at it even though he's not with the Cardinals anymore :worship

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has been on there off and on before. He also use to advertise the RAA as the "official Ryan Adams message board." That's the album people often say is their favorite. I respect the way it was made, but it is to poppy/laidback/sanitized for me. Sometimes, I think Ethan Johns is the new Jeff Lynne. I hope he does not repeat himself. Of course, I also wish he would bring back the twang, so there you go.

you think heartbreaker is too poppy? huh. gold is definitely his 'poppiest' record, imo. it's also most likely my fave (that or cold roses)

Maybe that is not the right word to use. I know most people love it. I bought it and listened to it when it came out, buy have not played it in years. I just find it lacking somehow. Maybe sterile is the word I am looking for.

i've been listening to the Dear Impossible home demos for some time and would really, really love to see the Cardinalized renderings of these songs surface soon. Sunflowers and Rain is prolly my fav. DRA song right now.

Never heard of the "Dear Impossible" demos. When were these recorded? What's on them?

EDIT: Never mind. found them. They are the video tracks he's been posting to the web, right?

Ryan aka WolfHunter has been posting lately at the RAA forums. For those not over there, below is what he has stated:

(latest to earliest, these are topics he has started, he is replying in threads as well)

1 day ago

new jams and POLVO

Hi there. Wanted to stop in and say things are going nicely here with new thing I am building. Also after some time there are some jams. We will see what is what but so far what is pretty wow. Anyway... ( oh and HSunshine peeps should be gettin their stuffs soon- all the pieces are coming together.

POLVO...so, when I was scarppin round Raleigh/Chapel Hill back in the day there was this amazing band there called POLVO- a really cool detuned, melodic pretty spastic guitar band that just blew minds when they played round the triangle...Well, after many great albums and a break they are back with this INCREDIBLE ( i mean, to me, I am very excited) album.

You can totally check it out at the Merge Records web-site. They are streaming it for pre-order. There is a whole double vinyl package and I guess a regular cd. Anyway, I can't imagine what is on the vinyl. That's all- I am really super duper glad to hear a new Polvo record but I gotta say they have always been experimental to a fault, and technical but this time around they just blew it out with major major jams. Really cool. It sounds a bit like Indian Moon music Urge Overkill KISS something...

It feels good getting jazzed on new stuff.

Hope everyone is having a nice time and I will check back in when this thing is done that I am making.

Peace-

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1 week ago

FOGGY/ New Jams

I will have some updates on the new Official Foggy soon. Besides a forum for DRAFIlms videos, New Jams, Daily music blogs-

what else would like to see on the official Foggy?

( Over-sharing not included )

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1 week ago

movie at 11

if I wanted to post a new jams movie up in her' tonite ltr- how would i do that? new jam related?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 week ago

Unreleased Albums you are stoked about...

So, If I had a label of my own and could release some unreleased records- Which one's are you stoked about. ( There are many nobody knows anything about, seriously,) But which one's do you want to see a proper mastering, mix and release of?

BTW- for some reason people have SHandbook W/O instruments ) ???) and minus 10 songs.

also there was a whole side of 48 hours and GOLD that nobody ever heard ( pr have they?)

Maybe what I need to ask is, just what in the heck is already out there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1 week ago

Sup Yall/ Joel wow on A/B!!!

Hey- the new (official-non tumblr) Foggy is still coming ( details later )- wanted to say- wow to Joel on A/B- I have actually used that thing so many time to remember things when I was in a crunch or like on ETiger ( you know one of those two "sober" era favorites here and there LOL ) when me and those dudes went looking for something old to fix up ( that was a fun week srsly)

anyway- here are some answers to some posts-

LA- you had the GSunshine lyrics right.-/ No I don't post on wikipedia ( I would never use that as a serious resource for anything but I didn't even know there was stuff on me, esp not Betsy WTF ha) - oh, also

the I Surrender lyrics are all fucked up on that version because I was on cough syrup it was from last days of smoking where i was getting tracheitus all the time

Rosebud Breakdown Into the Resolve is from an unreleased rock Cardinals ( kind of- no jon, me on bass ) record we made right before ET that no one has heard- prob do something with that later

and no I don't feel weird about CRDS they should do fun shiz life is sweet and far too short eh.

Hope yall are havin a good summer.

peace-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This concludes the topics he has started recently, however his interaction between these threads as well a few others do highlight some interesting items. IMO, one which made me

SMILE was in a thread someone had started about "Songs Cards should cover of Whiskeytown". Check Wolf's reply:

Originally Posted by gsmile

I respect your decision to keep Whiskeytown in the past wolfhunter, but have you ever thought about trying out some solo versions on foggy...you know, just for shits and giggles. I know I have a lot of fun revisiting old songs from old bands on my own with just an acoustic guitar. Sometimes I surprise myself!

Wolf replies: nah. like I said, I think there might be more from your old pal's Whiskeytown. It has been discussed. No plans. Just talked about. I always think Caitlin Skillet and me will/ would do something eventually.

hopefully the cardinals aren't gone for good, not that his solo stuff isn't great and all, they just seemed to ground him and keep him more focused

I love the first two Cardinals records. I think that everything since Jacksonville City Nights has been pretty pathetic. I know that the group's lineup changed quite a bit after the recording of those first two albums and I was recently wondering how things would have turned out (musically) if the same musicians had stayed on.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw those yesterday too. very odd, but he's got an amazing classic arcade cabinet collection. Jealous!

Thanks for posting. Just yesterday, I was thinking it had been a while since I had looked at his various sites. I am looking for some information about the new songs.

Some new songs/videos.

There is also a video about mastering a record album.

Ryan also sent out an email the other night with a link in it to download the Let Us Down Easy demo from the Hope album. also, since the 2 digital downloads were supposed to have been sent out yesterday for download and were not, an email was sent out for a Sink Ships demo download from the Hope album. and to think, most of us were worried when he said he was stepping back from music for a bit :shifty

I am curious to what those two new songs sound like, but I am not paying for Mp3 files.

Go Ahead and Rain has been renamed Sunflower Rain which appeared on the old Foggy as Sunflowers and Rain a while back. this song is on the unreleased Dear Impossible album. it sounds a lot nicer after its been mixed and cleaned up properly.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan's having a busy week in New York! Stop by his Artist in Residence art opening at the Morrison Hotel Gallery tomorrow, and catch him live at the New York Public Library discussing poetry, fiction, and his recent book Hello Sunshine with Tony Awards winning actress Mary-Louise Parker.

Details for both events below:

Ryan Adams: Artist in Residence

Opening: Tomorrow, September 23, 2009 8PM

Exhibit is open to public starting Thursday, September 24th and will run for a month.

Morrison Hotel Gallery

313 Bowery

- - - -

LIVE from NYPL & Akashic Books Present: Ryan Adams & Mary-Louise Parker

Friday September 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Celeste Bartos Forum

Stephen A. Schwarzman Building

5th Avenue and 42nd Street

$25 general admission and $15 library donors, students and seniors with valid identification.

TICKETS

speaking of Ryan, I just purchased the second Pax Am single and I have a few thoughts. First off, I was quick to purchase the first single from Pax Am and I mostly liked it. Lryically they sounded a little like cast offs, but they were cool. This second single is just two rough demos and I feel a little ripped. If he wants to post demos to his sight that is cool and I like hearing the creation process, but these two had major sound issues that make you ask "i just spent money on this". And since there is no way to hear what you are buying it becomes a little suspect. Now I have always supported Ryan putting everything out, because I'm a fanboy and love 99% of everything he does. However, I hope future releases are at least quality audio. That being that, the current song on his website "I Was Loved" is sweet!