The latest Ryan Adams thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And selling Mp3s, vanity press books, and writing magazine columns.

Well those last two he can keep. Why does he not go off and take a vacation and recharge his batteries and then deliver a killer album every couple of years instead of stretching himself all over the place?

Well those last two he can keep. Why does he not go off and take a vacation and recharge his batteries and then deliver a killer album every couple of years instead of stretching himself all over the place?

At least he is making music again. As you may know, he said he was finished with music a while back. As an old school album/cd guy, it will take me some time to get use to a band just selling a track or two online. I guess he is sort of following Radiohead's lead. Plus - as I have said before, I am not paying money for Mp3 files. If there comes a day when that is all there is, then so be it.

Ya know, the more I search and search for music that kills me and floors me and causes me to experience any emotion, I find myself coming back to Ryan more often than not. He just always hits the nail for me. I just put in Cardinology AGAIN in the ole car cd player and I just love it. Sure "Natural Ghost" is bad like a David Crosby song and "Sink Ships" is stupid, but the 9 or 10 other tracks just hit the spot for me. I mean he has released so much and I also own the stuff he hasn't "released" and 99% of it kills me. I always realize how much of a stupid fan boy I am when I hear statements like he needs to take two years off and maybe he will make a decent album. I immediately feel dumbfounded. That is life though, and I'm ready for what Ryan throws out there.

So, I went to the art exhibit last night and met Ryan. Some of the pieces are quite stunning, but were (way) out of my price range. Ryan was very gracious and friendly. They had a line for a meet and greet where they sold a couple of his books, Heartbreaker on LP, and two posters from the evening. I snagged the LP since I only have it on CD, and one of the posters.

It's always awkward to stand there as someone is tirelessly signing stuff. And I didnt know what to say. I was standing there with the Heartbreaker LP so I used it as an opportunity to ask him why all albums are being put out on 2 LPs these days. I didn't mean it literally (this is just my standard "why do I have to flip an LP every 3 songs" complaint) but he took my question literally and ran with it. He started going off on wider grooves, and deeper bass, etc. I asked him if he listens to vinyl and, bam, we probably could have talked for hours. He got this big smile, said "Defffffffinitely!" and told me all about his stereo set-up at home, the speakers he's got, and how he's got a room that is solely dedicated to listening to vinyl. The interaction didn't last for more than a minute, but he couldn't have been nicer, and in a weird way, he made me feel like some dude talking to some other dude about their love of vinyl. Figured there's enough negative stuff published here (and elsewhere) about the guy, so I'd post this cool little story.

(that second photo is hard to make out, but it is me (the dork) showing him the back of the LP and asking why it's on two LPs) :lol

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

that's awesome! i know kyle (solace) has met ryan before & said he was super nice & gracious (even bought his dinner/beer i believe). i don't believe this negative press shit about too many people. people/the press always report on the one bad incident they had with someone. we've all had shitty days where we blow up on some person for no reason.

Cool story Matt and I'm glad you were able to pick up Heartbreaker on vinyl (very much worth it). I think you hit upon a topic that Ryan is crazy about and it probably made him and you feel immediately more relaxed in what I can imagine is not the most natural of situations for either of you. You know I've never met Ryan (I've watched him interact with band members and others prior to a concert while I was waiting in line before a show) and from a few other observations he has struck me as nothing but completely sincere. He is obviously a high energy/short attention span guy, but he truly seems to believe in everything he does (which is why I think his music connects on an emotional level to the degree it does). I hope he continues taking care of himself.

Ya know, the more I search and search for music that kills me and floors me and causes me to experience any emotion, I find myself coming back to Ryan more often than not. He just always hits the nail for me. I just put in Cardinology AGAIN in the ole car cd player and I just love it. Sure "Natural Ghost" is bad like a David Crosby song and "Sink Ships" is stupid, but the 9 or 10 other tracks just hit the spot for me. I mean he has released so much and I also own the stuff he hasn't "released" and 99% of it kills me. I always realize how much of a stupid fan boy I am when I hear statements like he needs to take two years off and maybe he will make a decent album. I immediately feel dumbfounded. That is life though, and I'm ready for what Ryan throws out there.

that's the way i am with neil young. always come back to him. even the crap, i love!

The sound is much better when they spread out the album over double vinyl. Ryan Adams is right about the wider grooves giving more bass and punch. The Cold Roses, Heartbreaker & Jacksonville City Nights albums sound amazing because they did that. Cardinology and Easy Tiger sound like crap because they were cheaply made.

The sound is much better when they spread out the album over double vinyl. Ryan Adams is right about the wider grooves giving more bass and punch. The Cold Roses, Heartbreaker & Jacksonville City Nights albums sound amazing because they did that. Cardinology and Easy Tiger sound like crap because they were cheaply made.

Also isn't there some to-do about recording or mixing modern cds way high up, to make them louder, thereby affecting the listening experience? I am quite sure there are all sorts of technical terms I have just ignored but hopefully you get what I mean.

Also isn't there some to-do about recording or mixing modern cds way high up, to make them louder, thereby affecting the listening experience? I am quite sure there are all sorts of technical terms I have just ignored but hopefully you get what I mean.

Yeah, it's called "Hot CD mastering". Read this article...it's pretty interesting. It's about mastering/mixing CD's.

http://www.johnvestman.com/hot_cd.htm

So what kind of speakers and stereo does he have?

I didnt get the chance to ask him what kind of turntable he has because he wouldn't stop talking about how great his speakers are. I dont know how to spell it, but he said they were Ederall (?) speakers? Sounds like Eater-all. I spent about 12 seconds looking for them online, but nothing came up. Maybe I am spelling it wrong?

I didnt get the chance to ask him what kind of turntable he has because he wouldn't stop talking about how great his speakers are. I dont know how to spell it, but he said they were Ederall (?) speakers? Sounds like Eater-all. I spent about 12 seconds looking for them online, but nothing came up. Maybe I am spelling it wrong?

Was it Edirol monitors? http://www.edirol.net/products/en/index_a.html#speakers

They do make some sweet monitors