Shakedown on 9th Street

The Sun Also Sets

Everybody Knows

When The Stars Go Blue

Two

Crossed-Out Name

Come Pick Me Up

Mockingbird

I am not very familiar with his later catalogue (after the Love Is Hell albums), but they all sounded really good. I have heard alot of mixed reviews about Ryan live, but I was not disappointed.

the arrows to the side of RA setlists - what does this mean?

i'm going to guess it means they extend the song some and jam.

i was glad to see Cobwebs in the new list.

also, oddly, i'd listened to some of his older stuff and the songs he dug out just happened to be the ones that were really sticking to me some - Shakedown and Please Do Not

i just thought of something - i guess that whole album of songs he recorded for Elizabethtown will never see light - unless some of those made it to Easy Tiger (and i know at least one was on the ET second soundtrack).

the arrows to the side of RA setlists - what does this mean?

i'm going to guess it means they extend the song some and jam.

I think it means they went straight into the next song, with no break in the playing.

I think it means they went straight into the next song, with no break in the playing.

Yep. The > generally indicates a segue into the next song rather than a distinct break between them. Spend some time in the Grateful Dead thread for lots more info on this topic. :lol

Yep. The > generally indicates a segue into the next song rather than a distinct break between them. Spend some time in the Grateful Dead thread for lots more info on this topic. :lol

I remember from my Phish days that > means there is no break between songs and -> means that the two songs seamlessly morph/jam/segue into each other. Crazy kids.

>I remember from my Phish days that > means there is no break between songs and -> means that the two songs seamlessly morph/jam/segue into each other. Crazy kids.

I'd never heard that. That is splitting hairs. To me, any use of an arrow or arrow-related sign means a morph/segue. That info is much more critical than connoting a stop and immediate start of another song, which to me is not much different than a short break of any length before the next song.

>I remember from my Phish days that > means there is no break between songs and -> means that the two songs seamlessly morph/jam/segue into each other. Crazy kids.

I'd never heard that. That is splitting hairs. To me, any use of an arrow or arrow-related sign means a morph/segue. That info is much more critical than connoting a stop and immediate start of another song, which to me is not much different than a short break of any length before the next song.

I don't see it as a big deal but there are a lot setlist nuts out there. Here's the Mockingbird Foundation's explanation of segues.

The Use of Segues

For the purposes of this file, there are two different segue notations: "->" and ">." The former refers to an actual segue, or when one song jams fluently and without interruption into another; the latter is used when:

1) One song stops and another immediately starts but there is no fluent jamming between songs;

2) One or more band members begin a new song as the previous song is still ending and there is no transition;

3) Two songs are played that are usually played together but do not actually segue (for example, Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove or The Horse > Silent in the Morning); or

4) A song that is typically a "lead-in" song is played (for example, The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony or Buried Alive).

Sometimes, the difference between a ">" and a "->" seems arbitrary or a matter of opinion. For this reason, we considered only using segue notations for actual jam segues (example number one above). Two arguments, though, convinced us that we should list both.

First, on many tapes (especially older, pre-1992 tapes), traders have traditionally noted segues without distinguishing between the two types. However, differentiating fluid, improvisational transitions (ie, the "->" symbol)

mfwahl - In all of my years I've never heard anyone even mention a distinction between > and ->. It's actually pretty funny to hear about now and in such detail. I suppose the more the detail the better, but if so few people follow this arcane rule, there is a greater chance for providing incorrect information. I won't even ask about the Mockingbird Foundation.

Nice avatar, by the way.

mfwahl - In all of my years I've never heard anyone even mention a distinction between > and ->. It's actually pretty funny to hear about now and in such detail. I suppose the more the detail the better, but if so few people follow this arcane rule, there is a greater chance for providing incorrect information. I won't even ask about the Mockingbird Foundation.

Nice avatar, by the way.

Yeah, it's not always followed. If you look at the Helping Phriendly Book, it's inconsistent when it comes to this. But the Mockingbird Foundation publishes the Phish Companion which prides itself on being the most accurate and detailed. Their logic makes sense.

The Mockingbird Foundation is pretty cool actually. In addition to the Phish Companion, they also put out a Phish tribute album with a very diverse lineup (The Wailers, Jimmy Buffet, Little Feat, Tom Tom Club, Arlo Guthrie, etc.). They also receive a percentage of the profits from Phish's livephish.com. One year the band gave all the profits to it. From the proceeds of all those things in addition to donations they help provide funding for music education for children. It's nice to see fans giving back.

Thanks about the avatar. Loves me the Danko.

is the 2nd demise of Foggy at hand again? i was really starting to get into that blog after missing out on it the first time, or not really caring all that much about it...here's the message from RA:

K.O. Computer (goodnight internet)

Foggy,

I am so fucking alone. I hate this. And me, with my one thousand distractions, what do they mean. They mean I am alone. Lonely. Insufferable to even myself. It feels awful. But I know who I am and what I am and what I like. And I dislike even thinking about things I dislike for I like things so much I feel like the weight of my own fucking nagging inspiration sometimes feel more like madness. And this is just a place to dump that. What kind of a life is that. And this, this makes it worse. panic attacks, insomnia, needless worry. I can

does he see a psychiatrist regularly?

it's always an interesting thing when you have any artist with a lot of fans, but yet they themselves are lonely or self depreciative. of course, they probably feel the fans ONLY like what they do, not the REAL them.

I will miss you, Foggy. It was so entertaining and hilarious. Ryan Adams is eccentric, and Foggy provided insight into the mind of a troubled genius. I wonder if it will last. His recent blogs were fun, and he seemed to be enjoying that medium of expression.

I think he got tired of people making negative comments on the posts he made - or that is part of the deal anyhow.

any remotely public figure has to deal with this, but i'm not sure not sharing anything is the answer. it kinda means 'they win.'

yes, i know, easy for me to say since i'm not a public figure in the least bit. :shifty

if only he could focus on the positive side - 10's of 1,000's (or 100,000's?) of people have bought his records and attended his shows.

According to a link on the homepage of ryanadamsarchive.com their new album called "Cardinology" (and billed as a Cardinals album [not RA and the Cardinals]) will be out October 27th. This info comes from a British website and since records come out on Mondays over there, and the 27th is a Monday, it seems like a possibility. Although there is some discrepancies over the veracity of it all, so this is just a heads up. Could be jumping the gun here.