Wilco in 2007

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best moments: Seeing them so many times this year - Paris, Ghent, Amsterdam, Glasgow and twice in Dublin - and seeing how they can do it so differently and keep it exciting for them and us

Worst moment: finding out that the UK tour was pulled...

Reading this thread is reminding me of a bunch of great ones!

Best: It's Just That Simple with John singing and Jeff on bass, in Louisville.

:yes But for me, in Iowa City.

Best moment: Accidentally wandering into soundcheck at the Columbia, MO, show and getting an up-close, damn near private 30-minute show.

Soundcheck in Shelburne VT, on the lawn, which was wide open to anyone who happened to be in the vicinity. Muzzle of Bees at my request (via a cute kid!), and then again during the show, which was totally unexpected. The once would have done it for me. Also, the number of kids at that show, and the band's obvious appreciation for having them all there.

My best Wilco moment would have to be the Living Room Show.

:wub And for me, getting to meet some more VCers at Edie's place, the night before the second LRS.

Also, meeting up with a bunch of VCers at some of the East Coast shows in June (some old friends, some people I knew and liked just through VC, and at least one very cool VCer, Mark/evil horn, whom I had never spoken to before but who scored an extra ticket to the Hammerstein for me). Then in August, Too Far Apart in Berkeley, and the sweet moment when Sam Tweedy joined his dad onstage in LA.

Every minute of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass was fun (Andrew's presence was a major part of that!), but the Tweedy solo headlining spot on the Friday night was especially cool. An insanely great setlist, in a beautiful setting; and it was lovely to have my nieces there, and to be able to walk home from the show, stopping for burritos on the way.

No bad times/missed moments for me. With that many good ones, I couldn't possibly have any regrets. :dancing

• 3 weeks later...

this was a bountiful show year!

two stand out memories:

--at the prairie home companion show: as the band started playing "when the roses bloom again," turning with a "wow! what the?" expression on my face to solace, who was seated next to me, and seeing him smiling and nodding serenely as if to say, "yup."

--"always in love" in charlotte. almost didn't go to that show, but was encouraged and even aided by vc'er outta tune. "it's only 4 hours from atlanta. i can do that." :dancing :pirate

--denver, denver, denver.

--during the request portion of jeff's marfa show he played my request for "radio king." some songs just strike a chord...

man. great shows this year. boy howdy.

bonuses: unexpected jhamm visit at charlotte!

every show i attended, EVERY show, i saw someone that i knew, and made new friends. how fucking cool is that?

Best Moment: Seeing this live from the 2nd row at Ovens Auditorium in Charlotte, NC:

For those of you who don't care to watch, it's a clip of Jeff singing part of Humming Bird with a little girl in his arms and doing his great "run in place" dance with her.. Classic, beautiful moment.. My wife fell in love with Jeff Tweedy that night (it's ok.. I'm not jealous, I love him too).. She loved to see him do that for a child and it shows that he's a good father. :hug
bonuses: unexpected jhamm visit at charlotte!

:lol It was nice to say hello again!

One very stellar moment for me - seeing Jeff Tweedy and my 2 year old daughter dance together as he played No More Poetry earlier this year. My wife and I were nearly in panic mode, but then he started imitating her dance moves and went along with her! It was an amazing, amazing moment! A small part of me wishes I had pulled out a camera, but it's a moment I won't forget.

Duluth. Outside. Fog. Mist. Wind. Cold. ... A giant ore boat left dock during "Jesus Etc." and slowly drifted by in the canal during the song. The ship was just at the lift bridge and on the way out to Lake Superior when the song ended and blew its fog horn. It was a magical moment.

Charlotte and Charlottesville, 6/20 and 10/20.

Both featured an on-stage Lilac moment, but at the latter show, I got to actually know the family while sitting up front and center waiting for the show to start. Lamrods Wife: I think I was *right* behind you at the Charlotte show. Did your hubby yell out "Macromaniac!" ?

Also got to meet Isadorah and Hummingbird briefly after the show. It's always good to meet the people on this board. I must confess, I haven't met a Wilco fan I didn't like. :)

Here's to more VC moments in 2008!

cheers,

b.s.

Many many great moments in 2007:

LRS 2 & 3 at Ken's and Erin's. I mean :omg

Tweedy solo at the Vic -- I laughed, I cried. It was filled with awesomeness

Dinner at Catherine's in CT with some prominent VCers :shifty

Team Estrogen tour with Donna, Chris and Melissa. Best moment was running down to the front literally pushing miss chris -- then getting to occasionally look back and see sooie and sister sooie geeking out. Gawd I want to do this again.

Columbia show -- beginning to end. Prolly the best one I saw this year

Stealth show (meaning my family didn't know about it) thanks to Sue and my work schedule.

Missed moment -- Just that simple. The recording I have of it is just charming.

Best moment: Listening to SBS for the first time, with my friends. When Jeff played my request (Pink Moon) at the Hotel S&S, that was pretty cool too.

Missed moment: Having to leave the Troutdale, OR show just minutes before Wilco took the stage because my very tired baby daughter was about to have a meltdown. I listened to the show from the hotel room. Bittersweet.

Missed moment: Having to leave the Troutdale, OR show just minutes before Wilco took the stage because my very tired baby daughter was about to have a meltdown. I listened to the show from the hotel room. Bittersweet.

that was my first time seeing them. such a wonderful show. (not to rub it in). i didn't realize i missed out on meeting some vc-ers

I remember the guy at the gate reminding me that I wouldn't be allowed back in if I left. Not that I really had a choice in the matter.

When I got to the hotel room, I opened the window, pulled up a chair, and stuck my head outside with the heavy curtains behind me so that I could listen to the show while my daughter slept. Not quite the same as standing in the front row with my friends, but better than no Wilco at all.

Best moment: Listening to SBS for the first time, with my friends.

:wub Your friends and other random chocolate chai cupcake fans...

I had so many great Wilco moments in 2007. I'd try to go back methodically to remember my favorites, but it's probably better to just list what comes into my head:

*Hotel SnS this year, Mart and Jeff playing "Try a Little Tenderness." Just thinking about it warms my heart all over again. Fantastic.

*Marfa. The show, but also the town in general, and a road trip to Mexico and back with some excellent company.

*Wilco in Davenport - the first time I'd seen the band in about seven months, and then Jeff surprised me after the first set. He's an awfully nice guy, that one.

*Seeing Wilco at the best museum ever in Shelburne, VT. It's not often you get to utter sentences like "I bumped into John at the apothecary." Tons of kids in the crowd made for a really fun show.

*Glenn and Nels' first alone/together show at my beloved Pabst in Milwaukee. I still can't quite believe Glenn shaved his mustache onstage.

Missed:

I didn't miss much! But I wish I'd seen Andrew Bird onstage with Wilco.

a couple of others..

1) i knew a person for while by face. then i saw her waiting to get into the first melbourne out the front of the venue - now we're good friends

2) the excitement of listening and recording the first stream of SBS earlier in the year

When I got to the hotel room, I opened the window, pulled up a chair, and stuck my head outside with the heavy curtains behind me so that I could listen to the show while my daughter slept. Not quite the same as standing in the front row with my friends, but better than no Wilco at all.

that reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about when he was a kid and the beatles were in town. his parents were anti-rock and roll and wouldn't let him got the concert, but he could hear it faintly from his bedroom, so he went to bed and listened to the concert until he fell asleep

Best Moments:

Seeing Wilco twice in the same week

Touching Jeff at the 1st show while he danced in the crowd to Hummingbird

Winning passes to sound check in Boston

Talking to Jeff at sound check

Having them play my request "Pieholden Suite"

Having Jeff & Glenn talk to me on the phone

Meeting some fab VCers...Walken, Atticus Finch and LouieB!!!

Missed Moments:

Getting to meet the band up close & personal (tho we did TRY!)