Wilco heard while you're out and about

Sean McAdam of WEEI radio said that Wilco is the best band in the country a few days back. I wonder if he is a VCer? Most people on that radio station are pretty ignorant though, they shot down his comment :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

Sean McAdam of WEEI radio said that Wilco is the best band in the country a few days back. I wonder if he is a VCer? Most people on that radio station are pretty ignorant though, they shot down his comment :(

Ha, I wish I caught that. McAdam is one of the few intellectuals (for lack of a better term) on that station, along with Holley and Mikey Adams. The rest are (mostly) lovable buffoons.

Any Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation fans here? If I was not mistaken, A Magazine Called Sunset just on the Australia episode that's on right now. It was background music during the intro to the Chinatown segment in Melbourne.

That video was so confusing... I am at a loss for words... what the???

It was a small, local music fest in Maryland. I heard the strains of IATTBYH and walked over to see what was going on. Stood there for a few minutes, mouth agape, before I decided to video it. Yeah...beyond weird. And hilarious!

Ha, I wish I caught that. McAdam is one of the few intellectuals (for lack of a better term) on that station, along with Holley and Mikey Adams. The rest are (mostly) lovable buffoons.

I do a lot of driving for work in the summer. I usually bounce between npr, weei, and my ipod. I agree, lovable buffoons is the best way to describe most of the people on that station. I can't stand the morning show though, I get scared that people actually think the way Dennis and Callahan do! :no On the flip side, I remember having Mike Adams save my late night, night class commutes last semester, his shows are always a treat

Any Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation fans here? If I was not mistaken, A Magazine Called Sunset just on the Australia episode that's on right now. It was background music during the intro to the Chinatown segment in Melbourne.

NOOO I missed that part :) I love Tony, I just picked up a copy of his book (No Reservations). It cost me a whole dollar at a book fair

anyone know where i can get the demo version of 'at my window sad and lonely'?? i heard it in the movie 'the strangers' and realized i don't have it. i have the mermaid avenue sessions, but it's not on there. it sounded like tweedy solo...

Heard Wilco several times on XM/Sirius radio while driving around Yosemite National Park in my rental car last week.

Wilco the album was also playing in Rasputin's Record store in San Francisco when my son was there last week as well. When we went to Amoeba Records in The Haight and asked one of the workers how the album was selling and he said it was one of the biggest sellers in recent days. Great record store by the way.

I was out dining at Outback Steakhouse in Tyngsboro, MA last Thursday night and lo & behold Kamera came on. Very cool.

So I texted my good friend who works there and told him (he's seen them 3 times - Boston Pavillion 07, Tanglewood 08, Lowell 09).

He said that he's heard I'm The Man Who Loves You, Heavy Metal Drummer and just last night he heard Secret Of The Sea (!?!!) on their satellite radio station.

Kristofor

Heard "California Stars" playing in the background during a segment on the Today Show the other day.

The wife was out shopping for the kids' school clothes last week, I think they were in Aeropastle (or however you spell it)and "Heavy Metal Drummer" came on. Both of the older 2 boys recognized it immediately and told my wife (not a Wilco fan). This helped me decide to buy tickets to the Memphis show for the boys. It'll be their first concert.

Aaron Hogan, co-host of 1530 ESPN's Morning Rush here in Austin is a huge Wilco fan and spends a lot of time talking about the band, especially the new record. They use "Walken" as an outro. He recently took a family vacation in the northeast and caught the Wilco show in Delaware.

I know we've covered the Wilco references in the new Apatow movie Funny People, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that during the scene with "Jesus, etc." on the soundtrack, Seth Rogen is wearing an Uncle Tupelo shirt. Most of the shirt is actually just outside the frame; I probably wouldn't have noticed the familiar lettering if my (clearly awesome) wife hadn't pointed it out to me!

At Starbucks the other night, I heard the opening notes of Wilco (the song) and had to interrupt my friend, mid sentence to point it out! Then, they played Deeper Down, You and I, and YNK, all in a row. Pretty awesome ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So I walk into my Dad's house this past Saturday morning, oh, maybe 10am-ish. He's there by himself and, as usual, has his radio on in the kitchen. And, as usual, it's on at a kinda-sorta high volume. So I walk into the kitchen where Dad is slicing up bell peppers to put into canning jars. He's slicing up these peppers and the radio is playing on the not-quite-loud-but-on-the-upper-end-of-normal volume and what do I hear? Dad's slicing peppers and the radio is playing and the song is "I Can't Stand It". So, not only is that strange by itself, a Wilco song coming from a radio station that Dad's got on, but it's not even a new song from WTA, which, I think, would be a couple of levels below the strangeness that I was thinking. Instead, "I Can't Stand It" is playing. A little background; my Dad has never been into music; pretty much couldn't care less. He keeps the radio playing just so the house isn't quite so lonely since he's there by himself most of the time. The station he keeps on is one of only a few that can be picked up clearly from his house and is an "Oldies" station; mostly 60's and 70's hits. As you can imagine, not a lot of variety. But not being a music fan, Dad just wants the noise and news/weather updates. So there's Dad slicing up peppers with seeds and pepper parts all around him and he's listening to Wilco.

So he stops slicing his peppers after I didn't say anything for a few seconds. I was just staring at the radio not saying anything, trying to decide if this was really real or if The Twilight Zone had somehow descended upon me. And so, after he stops slicing the peppers so he wouldn't chop off the end of his finger when he looked up at me, he says "what's the matter?". For a brief second, I kinda thought he was just kidding with the "what's the matter" line and would smile and wink and say something like "You're right, Fif...Wilco kicks ass!" But he didn't, he just looked at me like he really thought something was the matter and not like I was surprised that he was listening to Wilco while cutting peppers in the kitchen and knew that he was listening to Wilco. So I said "what station is this?" You know, like maybe someone had started up a radio station that actually plays music that I would want to hear on a regular basis AND said station was able to come in with a strong, clear signal here in rural Indiana. My heart skipped a beat as I asked the question, hoping for a response that would justify the anticipation. Instead, Dad just said..."I dunno....same station I always listen to. Why?".

So that's when the whole moment was shattered. Jeesh. About the time he said that, the lame announcer dude came back on and started going through all the Friday night high school football scores again, as if anyone at that point really cared. Not just going through the scores, but commenting on the games. He blabbed on for a few minutes, then broke to a commercial. The commercial droned on about Pioneer seed corn or the "most powerful Kubota ever built" (like stronger than a push-lawnmower really means "most powerful"), or some damned thing or another, then "I Can't Stand It" came back on again. So, there ya go. The station is using "I Can't Stand It" for filler between seed corn commercials and the latest 47 to zero football game commentary.

So to answer Dad's "why?" question, I, probably with too much excitement in my voice given the actual reasoning behind the song, said "that's a Wilco song!".

Dad said "oh" and went back to slicing peppers.

*sigh*

I was on the Riverside T heading into Boston on Friday night to see the Sox about 6 PM or so when a guy with a Wilco rooster shirt walked on the train. I didn't say anything to him but I figured if he was wearing that shirt he probably posts here and will acknowledge.