Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

At a Strand of Oaks show last weekend, Pat Finnerty (who now plays guitar for Strand of Oaks and also does the “Why This Song Stinks” podcast) opened the show for SoA by playing random covers that the

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I think this counts: I had a dream that I was in a bar somewhere in Toronto. CBC Radio Two happened to be broadcasting live from this bar. The morning show's host (not sure why I was in a bar that early, presumably before work) asked me if there was anything I'd like to hear. I requested "Lost Love." I contemplated asking for "Radio King" but went with "Lost Love." It was great.

I had the nicest experience today. Went into the local independent gelato/smoothie place and was debating what to get, when I heard I'm Always in Love. I told the woman behind the counter that this was my favorite band, thinking she'd just nod her head and not know what was playing, but it turns out that she and her husband are big fans and just got back from seeing them in Charlottesville--this was a mixtape he had just made recently, heavy on the Wilco. We compared notes on what shows we'd seen in common (Richmond and Charlottesville seemed to be the only two, but they've been to several over the years). By the time I left with my Mango Madness smoothie, we'd listened to at least 3 Wilco tunes. Small world!

• 2 weeks later...

Heard Impossible Germany in the fitting room at Lord & Taylor while dress shopping for a friend's wedding.

Then I heard Born Alone at TopShop in London last October, the day before their 2-night stop (I'd traveled from Boston)

Also heard a guitarist playing Outtasight Outtamind in a NYC subway station last December. I was so excited I gave him $5 before my train came.... and I never give those people money.

And I just saw the movie Friends with Kids as mentioned below... not a good movie, but it opens with A Shot in the Arm. Which I had mixed feelings about - if they keep getting more popular it's going to be even harder getting tickets :ohwell

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much hearing Wilco but hearing about Wilco.

I heard an interview (just by chance) with an Australian singer named Sherry Rich yesterday on Radio National in Australia.

She spoke about an album she has just released titled "Dakota Avenue" which was recorded in Wilco's loft between 1999 - 2001 (with a number of other Wilco folk playing on the record). She spoke very warmly of Jay.

Photos from the sessions are here:

http://www.sherryrich.com/Thumbnails/index.html

Not so much hearing Wilco but hearing about Wilco.

I heard an interview (just by chance) with an Australian singer named Sherry Rich yesterday on Radio National in Australia.

She spoke about an album she has just released titled "Dakota Avenue" which was recorded in Wilco's loft between 1999 - 2001 (with a number of other Wilco folk playing on the record). She spoke very warmly of Jay.

Photos from the sessions are here:

http://www.sherryrich.com/Thumbnails/index.html

Wow, nice find. Very interesting. And Pat Sansone is there!

I had a nice synchronistic experience with "What A Light".
I'm a Mystic of the all-faiths variety- not religious at all, but deeply Spiritual. I recently had to move due to my landlords breaking an agreement we had that, after a 1 year lease was completed, that I would be able to rent there on a month by month basis, for as long as I needed, until I found a house to buy. It's a long, ugly sad story of the greed of rural slumlords...they were such terrible landlords that it's not the worst thing to have them in my rear view mirror, but it cost me money & made for a stressful housing search. The really sad irony is that I have a bid in on a house & am hoping to get it & move in there sooner than later...
I found a month by month rental that accepted animals (not an easy task, let alone on a very limited time table), but the place had been trashed by the last tenants. I was moving in as early as possible, so it was the middle of the month.
It had just been flea bombed (it was previously overrun with fleas as well) & cleaned up as best my new (& happily decent) landlord could. I was tuning in the radio in the morning to keep the animals company as I was going back for the moving of all the boxes etc.. I was happy to have found a place, but far from happy with where I was & what I found there, then...I hit the first station (far left of the dial, of course) that came in clearly & there it was...right at the start, the familiar 12-string strumming of the opening notes of "What Light" by Wilco!!!!!
Many folks have noted the presence of synchronicites in lives, but a real fave of mine, Terence McKenna, noted, in particular, that the universe tends to speak to you in the language of the things that you know & love- in a highly personal manner...and hearing this seemed like some great confirmation & reassurance, that, despite it all, that I was exactly where I was supposed to be, & more so that I should be grateful, & humble & enjoy this- so choose to be happy & here's a nice little song to help get you back on the right track. I took the time to listen to the whole song, deeply, gratefully & happily, all the while enjoying showing love & reassurance to my dog & cats. It was the perfect song at the perfect moment from the perfect artist(s) who have spoken the most deeply & most often to me in this particular time of my life.
Thanks Cosmos! Thanks Wilco! Thanks WRUR 88.5 in Rochester, N.Y..