Wilco heard while you're out and about

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

Time to revive this thread. I was lost in a shopping trance at the jewelry counter at Nordstrom today when I heard Pot Kettle Black come wafting through. It snapped me back to reality and I escaped with just a $13.00 pair of earrings. Close call. Thank you, Wilco!

• 3 weeks later...

Out for dinner on Las Olas Blvd. (Ft. Lauderdale area) and heard Box Full of Letters.  It was upscale restaurant so I was a bit surprised.

It always makes my night when I hear these things.

Yep.

Even after all their success, there are still moments when they feel like a secret that only a few people are in on.

Was out at dinner last week on a lovely summer night, sitting on the outside deck of the restaurant (a 100+ year old storefront) with some friends.  Had a beautiful green salad with lobster and a Revolution IPA.  As we were getting ready to leave "At My Window, Sad and Lonely" came on.  I told my friends I needed to stay until it was over.  Perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

While I didn't hear this, I feel like this is the most appropriate thread for this little find:

EATER BOSTON: As a woodworker and a musician, do you find yourself paying attention to things like the furniture and the music when you're walking into a restaurant, or is it all about the food for you?

Nick Offerman: I pay a great deal of attention, especially when an establishment is playing music that's in my wheelhouse. Makes me just immediately want to embrace the proprietor. When you walk into a place ready for a savory meal, and they're playing Tom Waits or Neil Young or Wilco or Bob Dylan, I just want to find somebody and hug them and say, thank you for making the auditory meal just as savory as the slab of meat you're about to place in front of me.

full piece can be found here

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of colleagues and I play music in the halls of my 7-8 grade middle school on Friday.  I have a few Wilco tunes, mostly commercial classic rock.  Another one plays some of the more modern stuff.  Today was her playlist and a kid said, "Good, no weird music, stuff we can understand."  Then I realized what I play is, to these kids, what Sinatra was like to me.

I am currently getting radiation treatments everyday for cancer. I was all stressed about buying tickets for Tweedy at Largo this morning and telling the radiation techs about the drama of it all, so they surprised me by playing Sunken Treasure for me while I got radiated. :)

I absolutely love that!  Best wishes and luck to you with your treatments, C_S.

I teach high school, and today I did a spit-take upon seeing a 10th grader walking down the hall wearing a red YHF t-shirt.

I teach English to juniors and seniors.  This past June a junior came in and announced, "I hear you're really into Wilco - I want to sign up for your AP Lit course."  One of my new juniors caught an eye of my Wilco "shrine" (posters, photos with the band, tickets) in the corner behind my desk and professed his love for the band.   There is hope for this generation!

I teach English to juniors and seniors.  This past June a junior came in and announced, "I hear you're really into Wilco - I want to sign up for your AP Lit course."  One of my new juniors caught an eye of my Wilco "shrine" (posters, photos with the band, tickets) in the corner behind my desk and professed his love for the band.   There is hope for this generation!

I teach honors English to sophomores (and film to upperclassmen).  Last semester, I discovered that one class was keeping a list of my many Wilco t-shirts, which I often wear on Fridays.  I started making sure that I wore a different one each week so that their list would be complete, and I discovered right along with the kids that, to my surprise, I own 18 of them.  In fact, it looked like I might not get them all in before the end of the year, so one day I worked something out: I wore one shirt, and then had the librarian sit in for me as I ran an "errand."  A few minutes later I returned to the class wearing a different Wilco shirt.  Got a huge laugh.

Many years ago it was not uncommon for my students to be into Wilco, and I'd often run into them at shows.  But that's no longer the case... I think their interest started to wane right around the time I started to develop my bald spot.

. . . one day I worked something out: I wore one shirt, and then had the librarian sit in for me as I ran an "errand."  A few minutes later I returned to the class wearing a different Wilco shirt.  Got a huge laugh.

Nice. Thanks for the LOL after a rough week.

I am currently getting radiation treatments everyday for cancer. I was all stressed about buying tickets for Tweedy at Largo this morning and telling the radiation techs about the drama of it all, so they surprised me by playing Sunken Treasure for me while I got radiated. :)

Nice! All the best with all that.

Staying in theme, this past spring I had to have a cardiac catheterization procedure. I was more than a little uptight (turns out to be a very easy procedure) as I entered the procedure room. Between patients one of the techs was playing opera on Pandora on his phone. I *hate*opera, but said something nondescript about having music on. The nurse asked if I wanted to listen to anything in particular, I said Wilco so she set up Wilco station on Pandora and I rocked to Wilco while they noodled around inside my chest. Really helped me get through that!

"Speak Into the Rose" - Stockade Tavern, Kingston, N.Y.

Not heard but seen (in t-shirt form).  My town has Town Day where they shut off the main drag and have booths and food and all kinds of stuff.  It was packed full of people and I was just trying to leave and I saw a couple walking towards me and both of them were wearing Wilco t-shirts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another not heard, but just read on Lefsetz's blog:

I’ve got something to tell those oldsters, we’re living in a pop world. You can spin your Wilco CDs in your Biemers, but your progeny are streaming the hits of the day and reveling in being members of the group.

Another not heard, but just read on Lefsetz's blog:Quote

I’ve got something to tell those oldsters, we’re living in a pop world. You can spin your Wilco CDs in your Biemers, but your progeny are streaming the hits of the day and reveling in being members of the group.

I read this yesterday and it pissed me off. I usually find his blog interesting but it seemed like a cheap "dad rock" reference that was beneath him. And in context he was essentially making a negative comparison to Miley Cyrus. Really??