Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

Was anyone watching SportsCenter just now? Weird to hear Jeff's name mentioned. One of the anchors seems to be a pretty big music fan and has a standard line of "What [blank individual] is to [blank band], [blank athlete] is to [blank team]." Anyway, toward the very end of the show, he used Jeff Tweedy and Wilco for some hockey highlight, I think. Haha. Maybe it's happened before...

Was anyone watching SportsCenter just now? Weird to hear Jeff's name mentioned. One of the anchors seems to be a pretty big music fan and has a standard line of "What [blank individual] is to [blank band], [blank athlete] is to [blank team]." Anyway, toward the very end of the show, he used Jeff Tweedy and Wilco for some hockey highlight, I think. Haha. Maybe it's happened before...

It's John Buccigross & he's definitely a fan. His other go-to is the "rocking the suburbs" line.

I got two kind of deep cuts in improbable places today. Radio King in an independent sporting goods store (where I was coincidentally shopping for cold weather gear for my upcoming trip to the Vic for Tweedy!) and Summerteeth at a local coffee shop right afterwards. I consider it a sign!

Tonight at a restaurant in Kendall Square, Cambridge, EVOO. As I walked in, Leave Me Like You Found Me was playing, immediately followed by Art of Almost. Our waitress came to take our drink order and of course I said something along the lines of "I just heard back to back Wilco songs here," she said the owner-chef and his wife are big fans, they play Wilco there all the time. The wife came over and chatted with us, they are 2 time Solid Sound vets with their young children, huge Wilco fans. I told her I am coming back frequently.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Im not sure if this has been mentioned already: I just finished reading the book, Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail.  Early in the book, the main character cannot remember the lyrics to "Gun."  

Then in a later chapter, the main character hooks up with a guy wearing a Wilco shirt. Her pick-up line: "I love that band."

Im not sure if this has been mentioned already: I just finished reading the book, Wild: From Lost to Found on The Pacific Crest Trail.  Early in the book, the main character cannot remember the lyrics to "Gun."  

Then in a later chapter, the main character hooks up with a guy wearing a Wilco shirt. Her pick-up line: "I love that band."

That's an excellent book, I highly recommend it.  Aren't there also Uncle Tupelo or Son Volt references?

Tonight at a restaurant in Kendall Square, Cambridge, EVOO. As I walked in, Leave Me Like You Found Me was playing, immediately followed by Art of Almost. Our waitress came to take our drink order and of course I said something along the lines of "I just heard back to back Wilco songs here," she said the owner-chef and his wife are big fans, they play Wilco there all the time. The wife came over and chatted with us, they are 2 time Solid Sound vets with their young children, huge Wilco fans. I told her I am coming back frequently.

Nice story. I used to live right around the corner from there.

The new Sun Kil Moon album has a song called "I love my dad" that has a funny shout out to Nels Cline:

"When I was a kid my dad brought home a guitar he got from Sears.

I took lessons from a neighbor lady but it wasn't going anywhere.

He went and got me a good teacher and in no time at all I was getting better.

I can play just fine. I still practice a lot but not as much as Nels Cline"

The new Sun Kil Moon album has a song called "I love my dad" that has a funny shout out to Nels Cline:

"When I was a kid my dad brought home a guitar he got from Sears.

I took lessons from a neighbor lady but it wasn't going anywhere.

He went and got me a good teacher and in no time at all I was getting better.

I can play just fine. I still practice a lot but not as much as Nels Cline"

According to one Pitchfork reviewer, Kozelek is actually taking a shot at Nels and Wilco.

(8th paragraph in a very long review)

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18860-sun-kil-moon-benji/

According to one Pitchfork reviewer, Kozelek is actually taking a shot at Nels and Wilco.

(8th paragraph in a very long review)

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18860-sun-kil-moon-benji/

Interesting.  This statement seems like a stretch “I Love My Dad” feels like a ribbing at latter-day Wilco, a dad-rock song about his dad".

But who knows about his Nels Cline issue.  Seems good natured to me but maybe he does not like Nels style? There was this from a review of his desertshore album:

"They also tease out and amplify his sharp sense of humor, which can often get lost in his deadpan delivery. “I can play like Fripp or Johnny Marr, and I can play circles ‘round Jay Farrar,” he boasts or possibly just daydreams on “Livingstone Bramble”, and when he claims, “I hate Nels Cline,” Carney inserts some scribbles and skreeks behind him, suggesting a very sly parody of Wilco’s artsy noise. It’s one of the album’s best moments-- and also its funniest."

Interesting.  This statement seems like a stretch “I Love My Dad” feels like a ribbing at latter-day Wilco, a dad-rock song about his dad".

But who knows about his Nels Cline issue.  Seems good natured to me but maybe he does not like Nels style? There was this from a review of his desertshore album:

"They also tease out and amplify his sharp sense of humor, which can often get lost in his deadpan delivery. “I can play like Fripp or Johnny Marr, and I can play circles ‘round Jay Farrar,” he boasts or possibly just daydreams on “Livingstone Bramble”, and when he claims, “I hate Nels Cline,” Carney inserts some scribbles and skreeks behind him, suggesting a very sly parody of Wilco’s artsy noise. It’s one of the album’s best moments-- and also its funniest."

Re: the "I hate Nels Cline" line in "Livingstone Bramble"...I've read in a couple of articles that Kozelek was just goofing around:

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/interview-mark-kozelek-and-phil-carney-of-desertshore

A buddy of mine works at a liquor store on occasion to pull in some extra dough. The other day he was playing Summerteeth (his favorite record after I turned him on to Wilco) through the store's sound system and had the album on repeat most of the night. He told me that at least 10 different customers all asked him what music he was playing, and that it was GREAT.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

nice.

i haven't been to that restaurant since it was near Dali.

remember at the Boston show pre-SSF Tweedy gave away a gift cert to Craigie on Main? 

nice.

i haven't been to that restaurant since it was near Dali.

remember at the Boston show pre-SSF Tweedy gave away a gift cert to Craigie on Main? 

Evoo has been great each time I've been there.  great drinks, great food, great service, and great Wilco fans.  I read some mixed reviews on Yelp, but our experiences have been consistently excellent.

I remember Jeff doing the dinner giveaway for Craigie on Main at the Orpheum Evening With Wilco show.  A buddy does business with that restaurant, so I knew they were also doing the backstage catering that night.  Same the summer before at Harborlights, Jeff gave at least a shoutout to Craigie on Main.

Does Pandora count?

This morning I was out for a brisk walk in the bright sun (yay! Florida in February!) and the Pandora station i set up was playing mostly 80s punk/hardcore, something to spur me onward. Then, seemingly out of nowhere comes a live version of Ashes. I heard the audience whooping and hollering before the unmistakeable opening guitar notes, and I remember thinking, "whatever this song is, the audience is completely psyched." Then when i realized what it was, it was like a revelation. So, so intensely powerful. Partly the unexpectedness of it, partly the contrast between it and the song prior (Buzzcocks, maybe). Anyway, it's been quite a while since i've played any Wilco, just on one of those natural breaks from it. But it's 12 hours later and I'm still feeling it...