Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

At a Strand of Oaks show last weekend, Pat Finnerty (who now plays guitar for Strand of Oaks and also does the “Why This Song Stinks” podcast) opened the show for SoA by playing random covers that the

Posted Images

I suppose this is the place to talk about this. As some of you know who are my Facebook friends, I am wrapping up a three week stay in Belleville, IL.  I am down here on work.  Cool town by the way.  Although I have not gone crazy asking everyone I meet whether they know who Jeff Tweedy and Wilco is/are, I have gotten more blank stares or disinterest when I bring it up.  Just yesterday at a local Catholic school I ran into a couple people who went to Belleville West HS and they had no idea who Jeff or Wilco is.  So frankly if you meet just regular people and talk about Wilco and get blank stares, remember even in Jeff's own home town/region they don't seem to know who he is.  Weird to me, but not unusual I suppose.

(A couple other people bought up one of the guys from REO Speedwagon who is from Belleville and the group Head East. Go figure.)

LouieB

Yeah Head East is popular down there -- A friend of my wife's dad played keyboard with them at one point during the 70s and my bro-in-law took guitar lessons from a member in the 80's --- I think every Southern Illinoisan musician was in Head East at one point. While I was down there, a friend use to book local shows for Head East during mid 90's.

I have seen lots of Head East LPs in used record stores over the years and never even thought to buy one. I suppose I should pick up a cheap copy and check them out, just so I can say I know something about them. 

Still it is shocking that people don't know about Wilco at all hardly. Some had a passing acquaintance with the name but little else.

LouieB

You should of asked them about Farrar.

I suppose that is a main reason that Tweedy headed North --- every time I saw  Wilco/Jeff solo in St. Louis/Southern IL area - he had something snarky to say about the area.

(plus I don't think anyone really needs to check out Head East)

Yea, I doubt I ever will check out Head East.  And no I didn't ask about Farrar, since he can barely fill some of the venues he performs in anymore.  Meanwhile Wilco is a huge international music act. Go figure.

LouieB

Head East.....man, they used to play a lot in Chicagoland back in the late 70s/early 80s. I seem to recall them doing double bills with Mahogany Rush and April Wine.

Frank Marino and Mahogany Ruuuuush!

That's what I recall hearing on the radio back then on WMET and WLUP

http://www.head-east.com/bandhistory.html

All this Head East talk - I had to look into it - our friend's dad was an original member (Piper) and he was guitarist, not keyboardist.  My brother-in-law took lessons from Rich Creadore in beautiful Sparta, IL . (I am sure everyone was wondering...slow day at work for me.)

I see that they are still out there touring down there - no wonder they are more popular than Wilco...

For some reason I can't recall, I agreed to stop at BonTon with my wife (she promised to be quick; I was naive to believe this time would be different).  She excitedly pointed to the crappy speakers in the ceilling and asked, "Hear it?"  Straining to hear throught the dull roar of shoppers, I could barely make out "You and I."  Nice to hear Wilco out and about but small compensation for being stuck watching my wife shop for the next 45 minutes.  When will I learn...

• 5 weeks later...

This doesn't really count as "heard while you're out and about", but my '09 OKC Wilco poster is featured prominently in the first minute of this week's episode of The Reluctant Outdoorsman on Outdoor Channel. My '11 Cain's Ballroom poster is in the reverse shot but is unrecognizable. Figured there weren't many (if any) OC viewers here on the boards so I thought I would mention it. Here's a link to the beginning of the episode. It premiers on Thursday.

http://outdoorchannel.com/showvideos.aspx?show-id=24891&pid=QZLT9F1Rl9F2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching a doc on netflix called "happy valley" about the penn state scandal, and they use "country disappeared" in the opening credits... logged on just as it started playing and said "what the hell?!" super weird. 

Watching a doc on netflix called "happy valley" about the penn state scandal, and they use "country disappeared" in the opening credits... logged on just as it started playing and said "what the hell?!" super weird. 

Yeah, I saw that doc too! I was watching it in bed, hoping to fall asleep, and then I hear the intro to the song and I woke right up since, hey, Wilco.