Wilco heard while you're out and about

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

I heard Theologians at Carroll Street cafe in Atlanta the other night.  I always hear Wilco when I go there,  More of a surprise was the Loose Fur song (can't remember the name of it...but it's from the second record) that came on after it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fiancée was watching the Showtime's series "Shameless" which is set in Chicago. Early in season 3 they mention Wilco playing a show at Soldier Field then one character creates a rumor that Wilco is playing a secret show at a club so people show up to the event his sister is promoting. No music though and there may have been a reference to dad-rock. I was barely paying attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a potential Wilco reference, maybe...

So, earlier this week, the wife and I are on a roadtrip, we made a giant playlist and she put on Joel Plaskett's Through & Through & Through, which I'd never heard before. As a big Wilco fan a few lyrics perked my interest:

Outta sight, outta mind, outta luck, outta wine

Don’t you say that I’m out of my fucking mind

Ok, common saying, probably not a Wilco reference. BUT WAIT!

All the dirty blondes, playing blue-eyed soul

You won’t hear our songs on your radio
Every note we sing can’t be solid gold
Every boy can’t be Romeo

The blue eyed soul line is what got my interest, but again, maybe doesn't mean anything. But the "You won't hear our songs on the radio" sounds a lot like The Late Greats "You can't hear 'em on the radio", and the next two lines suggest that reference as well, as "Every note we sing can't be solid gold, every boy can't be Romeo" is similar to "...would have to be Romeo, his vocal chords are made of gold". Later on Joel repeats the blue eyed soul line and there's some guitar bits that sound similar to the Wilco song. 

Thoughts? Is Joel a Wilco fan or am I just finding coincidences? 
Either way it's a great song, here's the music video if you want to listen to it.

Here's a potential Wilco reference, maybe...

So, earlier this week, the wife and I are on a roadtrip, we made a giant playlist and she put on Joel Plaskett's Through & Through & Through, which I'd never heard before. As a big Wilco fan a few lyrics perked my interest:

Ok, common saying, probably not a Wilco reference. BUT WAIT!

The blue eyed soul line is what got my interest, but again, maybe doesn't mean anything. But the "You won't hear our songs on the radio" sounds a lot like The Late Greats "You can't hear 'em on the radio", and the next two lines suggest that reference as well, as "Every note we sing can't be solid gold, every boy can't be Romeo" is similar to "...would have to be Romeo, his vocal chords are made of gold". Later on Joel repeats the blue eyed soul line and there's some guitar bits that sound similar to the Wilco song. 

Thoughts? Is Joel a Wilco fan or am I just finding coincidences? 

Either way it's a great song, here's the music video if you want to listen to it.

I can see the connection, but I could also see it being a coincidence. 

I have an out and about that's kind of cheating. I run a bookstore next a coffee shop where I've gotten to know the management by being a regular. Because they know I like Wilco, they put on "If I Ever Was a Child" in my honor.

Jeff Tweedy was name dropped on episode 5 of Cameron Crowe's Showtime series Roadies.

Tweedy was mentioned as singing lead vocal on Miss Begotten for Staton-House Band. This is just the FAKE band that the show is centered around. Lucius also makes an appearance in this episode, after being name dropped at the beginning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heard IATTBYH on KEXP while driving down Broadway this morning. Almost hit the trolly. I mean I've heard that song hundreds of times before and KEXP usually plays really good stuff, but it was so unexpected to hear that particular song at that particular time that it hit me like a ton of bricks.

It was like hearing it for the first time all over again  :dj

For some reason songs you've heard a thousand time sound so much better when you hear them on the radio. If you have to check to make sure your not listening to your ipod that means you've got a good station.

I want to know why that is. Or if you hear a song on TV or in a movie or something. It's always way better than hearing it on Pandora.

It's so true though. I've been to places where there's nothing but pop country and heavy metal/"alternative rock" stations so I feel real fortunate to live in an area that has so many high quality radio stations.

Airline To Heaven plays through the whole final scene of John Krasinski's The Hollars.

Yes! Saw it last night and Krasinski was there for a Q&A.  He was asked generally about the music in the movie and he had a funny response.  He said that as an actor and even the director you may have ideas about the music but you still need to go through the producer.  But in this case he was the producer too so he got to pick his favorite music.  He said the songs in the movie were basically his soundtrack while they were scouting, casting, and shooting the movie.

• 5 weeks later...

Wilco read about when you're out and about:

Karl Ove Knausgaard discusses Summerteeth with his future wife, Linda, in Book 2 of his novel "My Struggle".

If I'm remembering it correctly, he likes it and she doesn't.

He's a wonderful writer by the way. And here he is with a Wilco shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b-cAdlytF8

• 2 weeks later...