Rogue EA-3 Lap Steel Guitar

I've never played Lap Steel in my life, but I want a cheap one just to mess around with. Anyone ever play this one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rog...-Bag?sku=513453

I know $80 sounds really cheap, so I'm of course skeptical.. I just want something to mess around with, but I also don't want something too cheap and that will sound like crap.. I do plan to gig some with it.

Hmmm ... I dunno. My only experience w/ Rogue instruments is the $30 uke I bought my one-year-old for her birthday ... it's good for occupying her while I play an actual guitar. FWIW, it doesn't really stay in tune and sounds like a cardboard box with rubber bands.

On the other hand, you can sometimes find vintage National/Supro lap steels for less than $300.

$80 sounds cheap because it is cheap. Several years ago, I made the same mistake you are contemplating making. I, too, had never really played lap steel and thought that since I would just be messing around with it, I might as well get something inexpensive. The damn thing will not stay in tune. At all. You would not be able to gig with it, and even if it would stay in tune, you wouldn't want to gig with it -- it has a terrible tone. I would recommend saving up a little and checking around for a bargain on a used lap steel at your local music store or pawn shops.

Yeah.. You are both probably right. Even though the EA-3 has gotten great reviews, it just seems too darn cheap.. And who knows, it could be that Musicians Friend employees left those reviews to help sell the product... I have always suspected that.. :brow

I'm so glad someone started this topic. I was just about to buy this thing with the exact same sentiments.

Unfortunately, now I won't be buying anything, because I'm a broke-ass and need to buy presents for everyone. Maybe I'll put it on a Christmas list or something :(

This is the next instrument on my list to learn along with banjo.

But yeah, I would say if you really want to learn it or gig with it, do what rileykill said.

But yeah, I would say if you really want to learn it or gig with it, do what rileykill said.

Yep.. That's what I've been doing... Hoping to find a good used/vintage one. Just thought I'd ask because Rogue's always get great reviews.. But like I said, I think it's a conspiracy.. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

this thread makes me sad. my grandpa played "hawaiian guitar" with hank williams, and his lap steel he was going to give me was pawned by his gold digging second wife. there's no way i could ever be happy with a lap steel that wasn't grandpa's 1929 model.

that said, ignore the cheap one you linked. the name ROGUE is appropriate. it's theft. get something marginally good at a marginal price. this will frustrate you. the rogue 12 string i bought was held together with elmer's glue and fell apart quickly.

this thread makes me sad. my grandpa played "hawaiian guitar" with hank williams, and his lap steel he was going to give me was pawned by his gold digging second wife.

Wow, sorry to hear about that. I've got my great-grandfather's banjo, and although he didn't use it to play with Hank Williams or anything, it means the world to me to have that link to him. In fact, same goes for my dad's '67 Gibson Dove, which he kindly gave to me. Anyway, my condolences to you.