• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really can't come fast enough.

I know, I'm so desperate I went to the Clemson Spring game.. It was actually kind of fun. Da'Quan Bowers is a f'n beast. Remember that name people. He will be talked about a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

This really is for Watch Me Fall: :heehee

When the farmer arrives in Hell its 95 F with 90% humidity, but Satan notices he's kicked

back on the brimstone relaxing comfortably.

He asks, "Why aren't you miserable like everyone else here?" The farmer

replies, "Oh, this is like a warm spring day in Columbia. I like it."

Angry, Satan turns up the thermostat until its 100 F and 95% humidity.

Still, the farmer's happy. "This is like a good June day on the farm.

Not bad at all."

Furious, Satan turns it up to 105 F and 99% humidity. Everyone is even more

miserable, except the farmer from South Carolina still resting.

"Hey, this is like a good August day on the farm bailing hay. Feels good the

hotter the be tter."

In a total rage, Satan turns the thermostat down to minus 25 F. Within

seconds, the air becomes chilly and frost appears, soon followed by solid

ice everywhere. Satan smirks, watching the farmer.

The confused farmer looks down at the frozen ground for a moment, suddenly

jumps up excitedly, looks around everywhere and begins to laugh, scream, and

jump for joy.

"THE GAMECOCKS WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!"

• 1 month later...

This is beautiful.

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2008/..._secs_worst.php

Who's Really the SEC's Worst?

By Jean Neuberger

SEC Media Days start this Wednesday, and there will be media swarming like ants at a picnic, grabbing any precious seconds they can from a who's who list of coaches this year.

Along with the general football questions, though, so many questions, based in the purest mode of attack, have been thrown this past year and will resume again up on the second floor of Birmingham's Wynfrey Hotel.

Last year, Nick Saban was the hero/villain of the show. Sure, Saban got some heat from the fact that he said in public that he wasn't taking the Alabama job, and then promptly took it. Of course, this year, he'll be the local hero and crown prince of the ball. This is Birmingham, after all.

They'll poke at Steve Spurrier for more famous lines and pressure him about winning a SEC crown at South Carolina. They'll throw the heat on Les Miles to repeat at LSU, and at Phil Fulmer to see if Tennessee can break their latest BCS drought, and they'll key on Mark Richt, given the preseason hype for his Georgia Bulldogs. And if you want the safest bet, bet on Richt being one of the most well-liked coaches from the media standpoint.

However, this might all pale to the drama that new Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino, as well as former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt, who now leads the Ole Miss Rebels.

Chances are, Petrino will take tons of heat. After all, he was ESPN's whipping boy all last winter, to the point where one had to ask if Arthur Blank was the newest owner of the network. Meanwhile, Nutt, who has been given the red carpet treatment in Oxford, will receive a couple of hardballs, but nothing too serious.

I say, with all due respect, it should be the exact opposite.

That's right, I'm defending Petrino. Let's face it, he got into a situation in Atlanta that turned out to be much, much different than what was told to him, so he took a huge pay cut to go back to college football, where he could better direct operations and foster much better relationships with players.

Let's face it ... was anyone really sympathizing with the Atlanta players who blasted Petrino when he moved to Fayetteville?

I wasn't.

These are the same people that consider Michael Vick a great guy. Is anyone really considering the sources here (cough, ESPN, cough)?

Petrino hated Atlanta. His family hated Atlanta. Now he has a chance to coach at a BCS-level school, knowing that conference titles in the SEC will have a much better chance for a shot at the national crown than a title would in the Big East. Don't believe me? Think about this: how many upsets in college football had to happen for West Virginia to get a shot at the title game (only to lose to Pittsburgh)?

As for Houston Nutt, we have a totally different situation.

Here's a coach that told his fan base over and over they would pass the ball. They rarely did, so much so that one season, incomplete passes drew standing ovations.

Here's a coach that told the Arkansas media that playcalling "was overrated," yet tells the Ole Miss media that calling plays is one of the best parts of the game.

Here's a coach who was so intimidated by the intelligence of his new offensive coordinator, fresh from the high school ranks, that, instead of turning him loose and reaping the rewards, turns him away and chases him to Tulsa, who had one of the top-ranked offenses in the nation last year.

Here's a coach that got the national media to attack Arkansas fans for filing requests to check his cell phone records, but never answered some of the questions that came out of those records. Most notably, why were top recruits in the state not being contacted? As for the alleged affair, give Nutt the benefit of the doubt, but ask instead why was he texting someone ... anyone ... minutes before kickoff of a bowl game?

To continue would be to open a huge can of worms, but the point is obviously made.

Bobby Petrino got burned for getting out of a sticky situation, created by the same man who started Home Depot, the head sponsor of ESPN's College GameDay. Houston Nutt runs to Ole Miss, and somehow manages to get people to look the other way on the many bridges he burned.

Mark my words, you won't want to miss the Arkansas/Ole Miss game this year. But I hope the media pulls Petrino out of the fire, and throws a little of it towards more deserving candidates.

Excellent site. Bookmark'd. :thumbup

You should wear a Clemson shirt on Thursday that way I'd definitely recognize you. Make it one of those really obnoxious bright orange ones. :thumbup

You should wear a Clemson shirt on Thursday that way I'd definitely recognize you. Make it one of those really obnoxious bright orange ones. :thumbup

I do have one of those and it's obnoxious and beautiful. :lol

1. Georgia

2. Southern California

3. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma

5. Florida

6. LSU

7. Missouri

8. West Virginia

9. Clemson

10. Texas

11. Auburn

12. Wisconsin

13. Kansas

14. Texas Tech

15. Virginia Tech

16. Arizona State

17. Brigham Young

18. Tennessee

19. Illinois

20. Oregon

21. South Florida

22. Penn State

23. Wake Forest

24. Michigan

25. Fresno State

I'm pulling for Clemson this year, considering my Irish never do anything.

9. Clemson

I'm pulling for Clemson this year, considering my Irish never do anything.

Good choice my friend. This year they've got a senior QB, the two best running backs in the league, and some great young talent. So maybe this will be the year they win the ACC. They have let me down many times before so I don't want to get my hopes up, but we'll see.

Good choice my friend. This year they've got a senior QB, the two best running backs in the league, and some great young talent. So maybe this will be the year they win the ACC. They have let me down many times before so I don't want to get my hopes up, but we'll see.

Indeed, plus they aren't too far from here, and I might see them against Wake Forest.

That list is way incomplete though. There are no SEC matchups listed at all after 9/20 until 11/28.

Still, thanks for posting it and I got it bookmarked for sure.

It will be updated throughout the year. There are a lot of TBAs on the schedule right now.

It is really weird to think that football is starting up in a few weeks. This offseason wasn't really as hard to take as the one before it, but the last few years have definitely been a lesson in humility for us OSU fans. (Well, some of us. There's still plenty of yahoos in this town who act like those BCS fiascos never happened--I can't decide whether I admire them or fear them. :lol)

I'm sure that everybody outside the state is sick to death of the sight of sweatervests by now, which is kind of a shame because this might be the team we've been waiting for. Won't take long to find out...just barely over a month now until USC.

Woo.

I know we suck, and all, but a brand new on campus stadium has me very excited for the football season. Who cares if we suck, it's college football, and like our quarterback said, "We're on a 1 game winning streak."