we are now in the parallel universe. How else can you explain the relative lack of arrogance amongst our resident Buckeye and Wolverine faithful this year?

No room for arrogance around here these days. OSU's performance the last 2 weeks was appalling. The defense is especially disappointing. With so many returning starters, its hard to imagine how this whole team got worse. It is evident in attitude more than anything, this team is sagging. They claim there will not be a QB controversy this year, but I don't see how you can avoid it. Boeckman doesn't seem to have his own team's respect (let alone opponent's)--there is a palpable uptick in energy every time Pryor enters the game. It looks to be a bumpy season, anyway, so why not get some excitement where you can? I guess they can do the switching-off thing for a while, but the time is coming to hand it over to Pryor sooner rather than later.

Conference play hasn't started yet, but at this point I don't see either UM or OSU contending for the conference title this year. How weird is that?

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AP Top 10

1. USC (61) 2-0 1,596

2. Oklahoma 3-0 1,485

3. Georgia (2) 3-0 1,437

4. Florida (1) 2-0 1,414

5. Missouri 3-0 1,389

6. LSU 2-0 1,274

7. Texas 2-0 1,140

8. Wisconsin 3-0 1,076

9. Alabama 3-0 982

10. Auburn 3-0 958

I'm surprised Georgia is still receiving first-place votes.

OSU could contend, but I think Wisconsin is going to win it. Michigan will be no higher than 4th, but quite possibly lower.

I agree that Wisconsin is the safe bet, though I haven't really watched them closely yet. OSU, at best, I think, will be scrapping for a runner up spot with Illinois, Penn St, and Sparty...and could easily come out in the back of that pack the way they are playing right now. I think they'll rebound somewhat as the season goes on, if only because the Big Ten still isn't that strong this year.

At this point, I'm not too sure who Michigan will beat in the Big 11. I attempted to talk them up a bit before the season began (part foolhardy optimist, part hype-believing dupe), but I'm already set to sell them down the river for this year.

Honestly, I don't see another guaranteed win for them this year. Toledo may be capable of taking them down.

I still can't wait for Nov. 22! I don't care how bad it gets this year, if Michigan beats the Buckeyes I will be happy. And Sam McGuffie is the real deal. That kid is exciting to watch and I hope he sticks around for all 4 years without getting hurt. How he wasn't torn in half on that one play (where he did the splits has he was being tackled) I'll never know. Most humans would have torn their groins on that play.

Honestly, I don't see another guaranteed win for them this year. Toledo may be capable of taking them down.

I have tickets to OSU's game vs. Troy this weekend. I'm taking my 5 year old daughter (following her soccer game, which means we may miss the first quarter or so). Seemed like a neat bonding thing and hopefully it will be a nice afternoon to chill out in South Stands and let her soak in what all the fuss is about in this town.

I never dreamed this game might be more competitive than I anticipated. They better bounce back this week--she's too young to learn the fine art of couch burning! :hmm

I have tickets to OSU's game vs. Troy this weekend. I'm taking my 5 year old daughter (following her soccer game, which means we may miss the first quarter or so). Seemed like a neat bonding thing and hopefully it will be a nice afternoon to chill out in South Stands and let her soak in what all the fuss is about in this town.

I never dreamed this game might be more competitive than I anticipated. They better bounce back this week--she's too young to learn the fine art of couch burning! :hmm

We used to play Troy back when they were Troy State. They never hesitate to schedule the big boys (not that we're that big but we're in a big conference).

I agree, Heacock is terrible. He calls virtually 0 blitzes, we play some safe zone shit and we get torn up every time.

However, I think the defense we have is still one of the best units (e.g. our LBs, Jenkins), despite the terrible playcalling. I felt like the D just got worn down entirely because they spent, like, the whole USC game on the field...you're bound to get tired and you're bound to blame the shitty offense for it. Bam, you give up, and you look bad.

edit: I'm actually scared of Troy now. Never thought I'd see the day.

I agree, Heacock is terrible. He calls virtually 0 blitzes, we play some safe zone shit and we get torn up every time.

Agreed. Heacock falls into a predictable zone D any time they face an opponent they can't just overpower. Its like watching a team play Prevent D for 60 minutes and wondering why it doesn't work. Just terrible. This defense is supposed to be the team's strength, but they're not aggressive at all.

Writing that long post was cathartic, and above all, it really made me realize how much I miss Dantonio (or Fred Pagac, for that matter). Heacock gets more recognition than either of those guys ever got, but he's mostly done it against mediocre competition. I think of that defense in '02 and this current one is a cupcake in comparison, even though it might have more talented players. Sparty made a great call when they hired Dantionio. I think he'll do some very good things up there.

I feel so bad for Pat McAfee the WVU kicker who shanked a 23-yard kick, Morgantown fans are getting pretty nasty, as this looks like a pretty shitty season already. That kid might have to go into the witness protection program, he also missed two chip shots in the Pitt disaster last year. I am disappointed, but I am actually kind of still delusional enough to think they'll turn it around and be blowing through the Big East in November. If not we may be looking at a Notre Dame esque tumble.

--Mike

Nice win for CU last night and the black out was actually pretty cool. The Buffs have been down for a while and this was a big win to get things back on the right track. They looked great early and came way back down to earth but the fact they held on (despite the fact that WVA should have won the game with proper clock management) will be something the team can build on. FSU in Tallahassee will be tough, but Cody will be here for another few years and Stewart looks like he could develop into a stud. I'm hopeful that despite a very tough schedule CU can finish in the top 25, win a good bowl game and set themselves up to really do something next season.

Morgantown fans are getting pretty nasty, as this looks like a pretty shitty season already.

Sorry about that. The crappiness is trickling down from Columbus. Actually, it started in Ann Arbor, then hit us, then you guys. If we can keep up the southern momentum, the SEC won't know what hit it!!!

Sorry about that. The crappiness is trickling down from Columbus. Actually, it started in Ann Arbor, then hit us, then you guys. If we can keep up the southern momentum, the SEC won't know what hit it!!!

I guarantee, with 100 % certainty, that Michigan WILL NOT LOSE on Saturday, September 20, 2008. The crappiness may have started in A2, but it will not be present this weekend.

Yeah, sadly it looks there are about five SEC teams that could play USC for the national title this year (maybe they'll all beat each other up again). It's only September, but after watching Bill Stewart's "Art Shell-esque" clock management last night, I'm ready to completely forgive Rich Rodriguez. Though the fact that Michigan has the same record as WVU at the moment might help.

--Mike

I am kinda scared about today. Not gonna lie.

Well, the early recap articles are in, semi-gushing over Pryor's 4 TDs.......but I got to see this one in person and it wasn't pretty. Pryor got a couple nice plays in there and they padded the lead with a couple late TDs, but they easily could have lost this one. The D is still a mess. Looked like a high school team out there, playing in front of 100,000+ really unimpressed people.

Speaking of which, I hate to say it, sitting in South Stands for this one, that was the least-engaged crowd I have evr seen in that stadium. (for a relatively close game, anyway) People were just kind of sitting there in stunned silence for most of it, just waiting for something to cheer for. Pryor is showing flashes of brilliance already, which is wonderful. Its just going to be a rockier season than anybody anticipated.