http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/2007/1...ews/344292.html

Grobe is new Razorback coach

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2007

By Harry King

Arkansas News Bureau

FAYETTEVILLE - Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe is going to be the next football coach at the University of Arkansas and is likely to be introduced on Thursday.

The board of the Razorback Foundation met briefly via conference call Wednesday evening and approved a salary supplement for Grobe, who just completed his seventh season at Wake Forest.

There is a strong likelihood that Grobe will be paid more than former coach Houston Nutt, but details of the salary package were not immediately available.

A coach's salary from state funds is limited so the Foundation must agree to guarantee any other money that is promised a coach.

For instance, former Razorback coach Houston Nutt received a state salary of $330,000, but his total package was about $1.5 million. Among other things, Nutt was guaranteed $600,000 for radio-TV and $250,000 for speaking engagements.

The foundation would not be asked to approve a specific compensation package unless Grobe had agreed to the deal. The process was evident on Monday night, when the board was supposed to meet to approve money for Clemson coach Tommy Bowden. The meeting was postponed twice and then canceled when Bowden agreed to a contract extension at Clemson.

At one point, it appeared the foundation would bump Bowden's salary so he could personally take care of a buyout at Clemson. The same process could be in play with Grobe, who reportedly has a buyout of $2 million.,

It is believed that Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long zeroed in on Bowden and Grobe as his top two choices in the days after Nutt resigned. People very interested in the search were told that Long would hire the best head coach available.

Grobe has a 45-39 record at Wake Forest, including an 11-3 Orange Bowl team last year and 8-4 team this year headed for the Meineke Bowl. Following last year, he signed an extension through 2016 for what was believed to be about $1.1 million per year.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really having a hard time understanding why people seem to think that Colt Brennan will be a better NFL quarterback than Tim Tebow.

Please, one of you Mel Kiper Juniors out there, let me know what it is about this Brennan guy that makes him so special.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why people seem to think that Colt Brennan will be a better NFL quarterback than Tim Tebow.

Please, one of you Mel Kiper Juniors out there, let me know what it is about this Brennan guy that makes him so special.

Brennan is not going to be a great NFL quarterback.

But Tebow is not going to be an NFL quarterback. Period.

I don't see either QB being anything in the NFL. But Tebow has trouble hitting anyone further than 5 yards away, and plays as a glorified fullback in that offense.

I don't see either QB being anything in the NFL. But Tebow has trouble hitting anyone further than 5 yards away, and plays as a glorified fullback in that offense.

Tebow's got a better arm than you let on. Much better.

That said, I agree that he won't be an NFL quarterback. Not sure what position they'll end up playing him at (maybe tight end?), but probably not QB.

Tebow will not be a NFL QB, but someone will more than likely give him a shot. I'd be willing to bet he will be playing on Sundays in a couple of years at some position. None the less, he threw for over 3000 yards, 29 TD's and 6 int's this season, so he can definitely hit the broad side of a barn.

Dorsey won the Lombardi last night.

http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/2007/1...ews/344292.html

Grobe is new Razorback coach

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2007

By Harry King

Arkansas News Bureau

FAYETTEVILLE - Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe is going to be the next football coach at the University of Arkansas and is likely to be introduced on Thursday.

The board of the Razorback Foundation met briefly via conference call Wednesday evening and approved a salary supplement for Grobe, who just completed his seventh season at Wake Forest.

There is a strong likelihood that Grobe will be paid more than former coach Houston Nutt, but details of the salary package were not immediately available.

A coach's salary from state funds is limited so the Foundation must agree to guarantee any other money that is promised a coach.

For instance, former Razorback coach Houston Nutt received a state salary of $330,000, but his total package was about $1.5 million. Among other things, Nutt was guaranteed $600,000 for radio-TV and $250,000 for speaking engagements.

The foundation would not be asked to approve a specific compensation package unless Grobe had agreed to the deal. The process was evident on Monday night, when the board was supposed to meet to approve money for Clemson coach Tommy Bowden. The meeting was postponed twice and then canceled when Bowden agreed to a contract extension at Clemson.

At one point, it appeared the foundation would bump Bowden's salary so he could personally take care of a buyout at Clemson. The same process could be in play with Grobe, who reportedly has a buyout of $2 million.,

It is believed that Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long zeroed in on Bowden and Grobe as his top two choices in the days after Nutt resigned. People very interested in the search were told that Long would hire the best head coach available.

Grobe has a 45-39 record at Wake Forest, including an 11-3 Orange Bowl team last year and 8-4 team this year headed for the Meineke Bowl. Following last year, he signed an extension through 2016 for what was believed to be about $1.1 million per year.

Scout.com is saying grobe turned down the offer this morning.

Scout

Here's the newest rumor.

Word is spreading that Long may be making arrangements to leave and take the Neb AD job. If and when that happens Broyles will be asked to step back in as interim AD. Broyles wants Herring to get the job and so does Nutt. If this is going to happen, Lindsey would have played us all again like a fiddle and most importantly Malzahn.

Herring will be hired as the HC and that will bring much satisfaction to the slugs at the BAC. Because after all, nothing will have really changed.

Herring has isolated a lot of the high school coaches in the state with his comments and treatment of Malzahn. Some even tell me Herring is barred from the Fayetteville High School over his outburst with the coaching staff there regarding the treatment of his son.

Tebow's got a better arm than you let on. Much better.

That said, I agree that he won't be an NFL quarterback. Not sure what position they'll end up playing him at (maybe tight end?), but probably not QB.

Tebow can throw it, alright. But he's got no accuracy. And he's not nearly agile enough to make it as a run- first qb in the NFL. He runs like a fullback.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&...hange_well_id=2

New Haven, CT -- Arkansas junior running back Darren McFadden (Little Rock, Ark.) has been selected as the 2007 Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year. Foundation President John Barbarotta made the announcement tonight during ESPN's 6:00 p.m. edition of SportsCenter.

The 41st recipient of the Walter Camp Player of the Year award, McFadden is the first Arkansas player to capture the honor. He is also the first player from the Southeastern Conference (SEC) to win the award since 1996 (Florida QB Danny Wuerffel).

The Walter Camp Player of the Year recipient, who is voted on by the nation's 119 Division I-A coaches and sports information directors, is strongly viewed in the college football world as the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, which will be presented on Saturday evening in New York City.

Other finalists for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award included quarterbacks Dennis Dixon (Oregon), Matt Ryan (Boston College), Tim Tebow (Florida) and Chase Daniel (Missouri).

"We are extremely pleased with the selection of Darren McFadden as our Player of the Year," Barbarotta said. "His all-around offensive performance for the Razorbacks - whether it was running the ball or passing it - has been most impressive and extremely worthy of this prestigious honor."

The 6-foot 2, 215-pound McFadden is a Walter Camp First Team All-America selection for the second straight season. During the season, McFadden set single-season records for Arkansas with 1,725 rushing yards and 2,172 all-purpose yards gained. Both marks eclipse records he set last year.

A two-time Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week honoree, McFadden has scored 16 touchdowns (15 rushing, 1 receiving) and has even passed for four touchdowns this season. He had nine 100-yard rushing efforts, and tied the SEC single-game record with 321 yards in a win over South Carolina on November 3. McFadden's best game came on November 23 when he rushed for 211 yards and three touchdowns and passed for another score in a 50-48 overtime victory over then top-ranked LSU.

Through 37 career contests, McFadden has become the Razorbacks' all-time leading rusher (4,485) and all-purpose (5,743) leader.

Arkansas (8-4) will play in the 72nd AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic on Jan. 1, 2008, against the Big 12 runner-up Missouri (11-2).

Walter Camp, "The Father of American football," first selected an All-America team in 1889. Camp - a former Yale University athlete and football coach - is also credited with developing play from scrimmage, set plays, the numerical assessment of goals and tries and the restriction of play to eleven men per side. The Walter Camp Football Foundation - a New Haven-based all-volunteer group - was founded in 1967 to perpetuate the ideals of Camp and to continue the tradition of selecting annually an All-America team.

McFadden and the members of the 2007 Walter Camp All-America team will be honored at the organization's national awards banquet on January 12, 2008 at the Yale University Commons in New Haven. Tickets ($275) are available by calling (203) 288-CAMP.

Walter Camp Player of the Year Recipients (1967-2007)

2007 - Darren McFadden, Arkansas

2006 - Troy Smith, Ohio State

2005 - Reggie Bush, University of Southern California

2004 - Matt Leinart, University of Southern California

2003 - Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh

2002 - Larry Johnson, Penn State

2001 - Eric Crouch, Nebraska

2000 - Josh Heupel, Oklahoma

1999 - Ron Dayne, Wisconsin

1998 - Ricky Williams, Texas

1997 - Charles Woodson, Michigan

1996 - Danny Wuerffel, Florida

1995 - Eddie George, Ohio State

1994 - Rashaan Salaam, Colorado

1993 - Charlie Ward, Florida State

1992 - Gina Torretta, Miami

1991- Desmond Howard, Michigan

1990 - Raghib Ismail, Notre Dame

1989 - Anthony Thompson, Indiana

1988 - Barry Sanders, Oklahoma State

1987 - Tim Brown, Notre Dame

1986 - Vinny Testaverde, Miami

1985 - Bo Jackson, Auburn

1984 - Doug Flutie, Boston College

1983 - Mike Rozier, Nebraska

1982 - Herschel Walker, Georgia

1981 - Marcus Allen, University of Southern California

1980 - Hugh Green, Pittsburgh

1979 - Charles White, University of Southern California

1978 - Billy Sims, Oklahoma

1977 - Ken MacAfee, Notre Dame

1976 - Tony Dorsett, Pittsburgh

1975 - Archie Griffin, Ohio State

1974 - Archie Griffin, Ohio State

1973 - John Cappelletti, Penn State

1972 - Johnny Rodgers, Nebraska

1971 - Pat Sullivan, Auburn

1970 - Jim Plunkett, Stanford

1969 - Steve Owens, Oklahoma

1968 - O.J. Simpson, University of Southern California

1967 - O.J. Simpson, University of Southern California

Bowl games to watch:

Indiana vs. Oklahoma State

Clemson vs. Auburn

Arkansas vs. Missouri

and all BCS bowls...

Of the ones I'm watching, I'm gonna call them right now:

Indiana wins, Auburn wins, Missouri wins (though McFadden will have an amazing game), USC wins, Hawaii wins (on trick plays!), Oklahoma wins, VTech wins, and OSU wins (woo!)

They had a pretty disappointing season this year considering the two previous ones.

Yeah, maybe he's lost a little bit of the "miracle-worker" aura. Same deal with Ralph Friedgen at Maryland a couple years ago. Once people get over the initial shock that you're actually winning, they start expecting you to win all the time and it gets tougher to keep people impressed. Schiano is a good coach, but I think he's happy where he's at. I didn't realize he was even on UM's list.

Actually, I think that's kind of a refreshing trend lately--good coaches staying put in order to try to build up programs that aren't traditional powers. Its like anti-Sabanism. Of course, I find this trend "refreshing" only because my team isn't currently in the market for a coach. :lol