The Black Crowes

Black Crowes Enlist For 'War' On New Album

The Black Crowes

November 27, 2007, 2:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Black Crowes have wrapped "Warpaint," their first studio album since 2001, and will release it March 4 internationally via their own Silver Arrow imprint, with distribution by Megaforce/Red.

The 11-track set was recorded at Allaire Studios in Woodstock, N.Y., and procued by Paul Stacey. It features the recording debut of new guitarist Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi Allstars and keyboardist Adam MacDougall. They join original members Chris and Rich Robinson and drummer Steve Gorman, as well as bassist Sven Pipien.

All of the tracks are Robinson brothers originals, except "God's Got It," which was penned by the Reverend Charlie Jackson.

The Crowes will perform "Warpaint" in its entirety during a spring U.S. run that will begin March 4, with dates to be announced. A world tour will follow, which kicks off March 24 at Australia's Byron Bay Festival.

Here is the track list for "Warpaint":

"Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution"

"Walk Believer Walk"

"O, Josephine"

"Evergreen"

"We Who See The Deep"

"Locust Street"

"Movin' on Down the Line"

"Wounded Bird"

"God's Got It"

"There's Gold in Them Hills"

"Whoa Mule"

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess no more major labels for them - about the same type of deal as Chris had with New Earth Mud. Also - I guess this means they scraped whatever was recorded with Marc and Ed before they left the band.

I have not listened to those in a while - but - I was listening to:

Foamfoot

08 January 1994

Troubadour - Hollywood, CA

Chris Robinson- Black Crowes

Marc Ford- Black Crowes

Andy Sturmer- Jellyfish

Jimmy Ashhurst- the JuJu Hounds

Eric Bobo- played w/ Cypress Hill, Beastie Boys

Gary Louris- The Jayhawks

1. Walk In My Shadow (by Free)

2. Bottle of Red Wine (Eric Clapton/Derek and the Dominos)

3. Tin Soldier (by Steve Mariott);performed by Small Faces

and Humble Pie

4. Take The Highway* (Marshall Tucker Band)

5. Deal (Jerry Garcia Band (first solo album))

6. Love Me Till The Sun Shines (The Kinks)

7. Long Time Gone** (Crosby, Stills, Nash)

8. Jerimiah Surrender (by The Band)

9. One Way Out (Sonny Boy Williamson; adapted by

Elmore James; further adapted/performed by

Allman Brothers)

10. Presence Of The Lord (Blind Faith)

** Appearance by David Crosby on "Long Time Gone"

* Appearance by Gary Louris on "Take The Highway"

The "Sweet Pickle Salad" group/sessions happened after the

"Tall" sessions ended and before the "Amorica" session began,

about February, 1994 in Los Angeles.

The group was made up of most of the folks that played the

Foamfoot show:

Chris Robinson on vocals

Marc Ford on lead guitar

Andy Sturmer(Jellyfish) on drums

Jimmy Ashurst (Ju Ju Hounds) on bass

Craig Ross on guitar

Roger Manning (Jellyfish) on keyboards

1. One Man's Anger

2. Limits

3. Clothes and Food

4. State of the Notion

Is Luther in the band? Or just on the record? NMAS have shows scheduled through December and have a new one coming out in January. Also on their site they make no mention of Luther leaving NMAS or of him being a member of the Crowes. They just note that he is recording with the Crowes.

I'd like to see Luther play for the Crowes and stay in NMAS.

Guest Golyadkin

Wait a minute... You dudes are Crowes fans?

Analogman, you not trying to start the MFF debate here are you?

JerseyMike, They have not made a good album since Three Snakes, but they have made several good songs since then.

Horsehead, V&V, Diamond Ring, By Your Side, Welcome to the Good Times, Midnight From the Inside Out, Greasy Grass River , Young Man Old Man, and Cosmic Friend

The "Brothers of a Feather" has some good new songs on them.

I don't think the album will be anything like NEM. I do like NEM but that was Chris Robinson. Rich Robinson and Chris write the Black Crowes music. Rich lays it down pretty heavy.

I love the Black Crowes, and I absolutely hated to see Marc Ford leave the band as he has been a massive influence on my own guitar playing, but I am encouraged to hear that Luther Dickinson is filling in for him. I don't want to see Luther leave the Alltstars but if it has to be for somebody, why not the Black Crowes. Can't wait to hear the new album. It also kind of sucks that Eddie Harsch left. I heard that Marc left so he could stay sober, does anybody know why Eddie left?

Wait a minute... You dudes are Crowes fans?

Analogman, you not trying to start the MFF debate here are you?

JerseyMike, They have not made a good album since Three Snakes, but they have made several good songs since then.

Horsehead, V&V, Diamond Ring, By Your Side, Welcome to the Good Times, Midnight From the Inside Out, Greasy Grass River , Young Man Old Man, and Cosmic Friend

The "Brothers of a Feather" has some good new songs on them.

I don't think the album will be anything like NEM. I do like NEM but that was Chris Robinson. Rich Robinson and Chris write the Black Crowes music. Rich lays it down pretty heavy.

We have had that debate - I think he was the best guitar player they ever had myself. And - I doubt they will ever top Amorica/Tall. That's the sound I prefer from them anyhow.

If you dig around - you will see that there are some threads about the crowes on here. We talk about them from time to time.

I am blues based rock fan - so yes, I rather like them - and have been listening to them since the first album.

Chris also produced the new Gary Louris album - so there is that connection here also.

>I doubt they will ever top Amorica

Agreed. Great album. Their absolute career highlight is "Ballad In Urgency" > "Wiser Time."

I caught them at the Orpheum Theater in March '95 from about 10th row center. I couldn't hear very well for a few days after that.

>I doubt they will ever top Amorica

Agreed. Great album. Their absolute career highlight is "Ballad In Urgency" > "Wiser Time."

I caught them at the Orpheum Theater in March '95 from about 10th row center. I couldn't hear very well for a few days after that.

I have some 1995 shows at home - they are good as I recall.

Guest Golyadkin

Any you dudes want some bootlegs go here:

http://amorica2.proboards83.com/index.cgi?board=music

Have fun and put on some extra skin... Doug hangs around there and he tends to bite everynow and then. It is very relaxed and people tend to lay out others. The moderators take the most hits. But they try to have freedom of speech as much as possible.

Amorica is Doug's favorite cover, but Southern Harmony, Amorica and Three Snakes go hand in hand in hand.

They are all top for me.

I think Ed left due to junk. He is my favorite part of that band.

Those songs are nice and all, but to me it just seems like the Black Crowes trying to write a "B;ack Crowes" song. Like a pre-fab house or something along those lines. To each his/her own....

Guest Golyadkin
Those songs are nice and all, but to me it just seems like the Black Crowes trying to write a "B;ack Crowes" song. Like a pre-fab house or something along those lines. To each his/her own....

Blasphemy!!!