The Black Crowes

I don't much care for By Your Side (especially when one hears the songs that should have came out instead), and I am not to crazy about Lions - the sound of that album is too weird for one thing. I have come to like Three Snakes over the past few years - but I think most of the lyrics on that album are not so great.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Golyadkin

I agree with you Analogman. Especially after hearing Tall and The Band. However the production and quality in BYS is terrific. Diamond Ring has terrible lyrics, but the sound is amazing. Horsehead & Welcome to the Good Times are great songs. Horsehead live is amazing, as is BYS..

The production on Lions is quite odd. I too do not like the overall sound of it. However Midnight, Young Man, and Cosmic Friend are all really good songs.

Three Snakes is a great great album. Every song is superduper

I don't much care for By Your Side (especially when one hears the songs that should have came out instead), and I am not to crazy about Lions - the sound of that album is too weird for one thing. I have come to like Three Snakes over the past few years - but I think most of the lyrics on that album are not so great.

I agree about the sound on Lions, but I really enjoy Three Snakes... and like By Your Side a lot, too. Three Snakes is probably my favorite album of theirs.

Though, the live stuff general kicks ass over any of the studio stuff, eh?

I agree about the sound on Lions, but I really enjoy Three Snakes... and like By Your Side a lot, too. Three Snakes is probably my favorite album of theirs.

Though, the live stuff general kicks ass over any of the studio stuff, eh?

Well - I think the best lyric/music mix for me is Southern Harmony/Amorica/Tall.

That said, I rather like Good Friday and Under A Mountain.

They should have put out The Band album instead of By Your Side.

Well - I think the best lyric/music mix for me is Southern Harmony/Amorica/Tall.

I here ya, but TSAOC is the only album (actually, one of only a handful or two by any artist(s)) by them that I can listen to all the way through without the urge to skip at least a tune or two.

As much as I like the studio stuff that they have put out, the live stuff is 10 times better. If anybody has a chance to listen to their live CD's I highly recommend it. The last one they put out, "Freak and Roll.... into the Fog", is phenomenal and has one of the best versions of My Morning Song I have ever heard.

The last one they put out, "Freak and Roll.... into the Fog", is phenomenal and has one of the best versions of My Morning Song I have ever heard.

Along with just about everything else from that show, the "Soul Singing" on that is fantastic, too. I've got the dvd of it and it's a great view, as well.

The production on Lions is quite odd. I too do not like the overall sound of it. However Midnight, Young Man, and Cosmic Friend are all really good songs.

Don Was. He kills records.

I really like 3 Snakes a lot. It seemed to me the Crowes were really finding themselves with that record. It didn't sell well, and then it was "lets put the Bell-bottoms back on and go back to ripping off the stones with some really flaky, stupid lyrics...."

Guest Golyadkin

They have had their ups and downs with live shows (Drugs, line up changes ect ect...). Been seeing them play since 1992. I am excited to hear what Luther adds to the mix. I have see NMAS and they really do some solid shows. The Cirlcle Sound shows that Luther and Rich Robinson did in New York are amazing.

the_fliz1 is right. Go to their message board and get on a vine. Or do what Analogman recommended.

When The Crowes were kicking it with Ed, MFF, Sven, there was no one better live....

Except Wilco's show in Detroit this past October, I was blown away. (I have finally excepted Jay's full departure)

finally someone said it! i absolutely love that song. i've really come around to BYS too.

Well, I am a hopeless romantic at heart - and it has a great groove.

Anyone ever get the shows you could get if you bought that album? I never did - as I knew nothing about such things at the time.

Any you dudes want some bootlegs go here:

http://amorica2.proboards83.com/index.cgi?board=music

Have fun and put on some extra skin... Doug hangs around there and he tends to bite everynow and then. It is very relaxed and people tend to lay out others. The moderators take the most hits. But they try to have freedom of speech as much as possible.

Amorica is Doug's favorite cover, but Southern Harmony, Amorica and Three Snakes go hand in hand in hand.

They are all top for me.

I think Ed left due to junk. He is my favorite part of that band.

Appreciate it

Update:

Huge debate / argument about MFF and how he IS / WAS Southern Harmony & Amorica tied in with who is the better guitarist - Luther Dickinson and Audley or MFF.

http://amorica2.proboards83.com/index.cgi?...557&page=21

Title Song is great...

for me though nothing tops Descending.... Ed gave me the chills when he started playing that shit live

I have never really heard Luther - but that discussion goes on all time in one way or another.

Sounds familiar. At the end of the day, Wilco is Jeff and whoever he hires, and The Black Crowes are Chris & Rich - and whoever they hire. At least, that is the way I view it. I think the best line-up was with Marc, just as I prefer the older version of Wilco - but I guess we have it deal with the way things are or just not listen anymore.

I love reading this thread... reminds me of all the great Crowes songs across SHMC, Amorica, Three Snakes. I saw them 6 or 8 times between 94 and 96, and at the end they seemed to be slipping compared to the eariler shows. Seeing them under the pseudonym "O.D. Jubilee Band" at First Avenue was a highlight. And I love Wiser Time, Descending (Harsh kills me on that one also), High Head Blues....

And the fact that CR produced Louris's upcoming solo record is the one thing that has buoyed my hope for that record after hearing a torrent of him performing some of the tracks live in France.

I love reading this thread... reminds me of all the great Crowes songs across SHMC, Amorica, Three Snakes. I saw them 6 or 8 times between 94 and 96, and at the end they seemed to be slipping compared to the eariler shows. Seeing them under the pseudonym "O.D. Jubilee Band" at First Avenue was a highlight. And I love Wiser Time, Descending (Harsh kills me on that one also), High Head Blues....

And the fact that CR produced Louris's upcoming solo record is the one thing that has buoyed my hope for that record after hearing a torrent of him performing some of the tracks live in France.

I thought I had some 95 shows - but I don't - just one 96 show, some 2005 shows and a bunch of B-sides/studio tracks/cover song discs.

I've never searched much for their live stuff.... was ignorant of torrents until not long ago. I'm going to do some searching and see if I can find that OD Jubilee performance or others I attended.