The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not listened to it yet, I will do that tomorrow.

Interview with Steve about the new album at Steve Gorman Sports.

the samples sound really good. nice and warm production and, go figure, i like the back up singers:) gonna have to pick this up soon.

There is probably not too many acoustic albums out there where the band jams out the endings. I rather like it.

I read the excerpt you posted. I'd be interested in more.

That was from What's Wrong With Steve? - a site where he answers questions that fans ask. The other thing I posted is his sports podcast site.

just realized that this (croweology) wasn't a "compilation" but a re-imagining of these tunes. call me dense.

i will have to check this out.

(i also still have to check out three snakes and one charm...don't throw anything at me, please...)

just realized that this (croweology) wasn't a "compilation" but a re-imagining of these tunes. call me dense.

i will have to check this out.

(i also still have to check out three snakes and one charm...don't throw anything at me, please...)

since the cabin sessions i'm rediscovering the crowes. so, i to need to check out three snakes. i worked at a record store when that and by your side came out. i've always kept up with their career. who couldn't if you were paying any attention over the last 20 years. i loved rememdy and thorn, and now i'm really getting into the other stuff. it's exciting time for them. i may try to hit the shows here in atlanta in october, but it's a small venue. i'm also looking forward to what chris might do next. hopefully another solo album. from the bit i've heard, he's a competent and textured rhythm guitar player.

A lot of people like it. I like the music better than the lyrics (which I think are sometimes terrible on that album).

i'm surprised the super-fans on the message board think Southern Harmony And Musical Companion was their peak. I thought it would be Amorica - anyway, that would be my peak. I quite liked Three Snakes and One Charm too, actually. But, then lost interest - until The Lost Crowes came out - that was fantastic, but wasn't most of that from the Amorica time-period anyway?

i think i'll check out Croweology, sounds like i'd like it.

i'm surprised the super-fans on the message board think Southern Harmony And Musical Companion was their peak. I thought it would be Amorica - anyway, that would be my peak. I quite liked Three Snakes and One Charm too, actually. But, then lost interest - until The Lost Crowes came out - that was fantastic, but wasn't most of that from the Amorica time-period anyway?

i think i'll check out Croweology, sounds like i'd like it.

Yes. You can read about the Tall and Band albums [The Lost Crowes] at Crowesbase.

Even Steve says that his favorite album is Southern Harmony And Musical Companion.

I just picked up the new album at Walmart for ten bucks. I have several thousand cds, and I am pretty sure I have never seen a pop-up deal in a cd sleeve before.

i wasn't sure what kind of "pop-up" you were referring to here but i just picked up a cheap copy at target and found the pop-up. sticker in there too. the only two other crows albums i have are southern harmony and shake your money maker. i bought those way back in the day and i'm fairly sure those came with stickers too? i could do some digging i guess and find the jewel case. do you remember if they did? did their other albums?

anyway, there is some great stuff here on croweology.

I meant when you open up the cd, a pop-up appears in the middle of the cd artwork. (It's those bird guys sitting in the woods.) They have been putting stickers in their albums for a few years now. No booklet in this release though.

I don't think the old albums had stickers in them. Another thing about Three Snakes - the artwork is terrible.

ok, so croweology is fucking awesome. thoroughly enjoying it.

what a banner year for good material.

I finally as able to give it a good listen and I am really enjoying it. Chris is sounding great on it. Hearing these versions is helping me figure out what they play on the original versions, it's sometimes hard to hear the separate guitar parts on an album like Southern harmony. I'm surprised how good a song like My morning song sounds this way. I'm learning a little more respect for the "new" keyboard player too.

I question some of the song choices, but I figure everyone has a thought about what they would have liked to see on there. Like Wilco, you can readily tell how tight they are from so much touring.

You may want to check out the last two (Warpaint and Before the Frost/Until the Freeze).

Some songs I would have liked to have heard on the new album:

Seeing Things, Title Song, Feathers, Miracle to Me, Thunderstorm 6:54, Peace Anyway, Wyoming & Me

Some songs I would have liked to have heard on the new album:

Seeing Things, Title Song, Feathers, Miracle to Me, Thunderstorm 6:54, Peace Anyway, Wyoming & Me

Feathers would have been great on here! Has that ever been officially released? It's actually one of my favorite songs by them.

It was on some H.O.R.D.E. promo cd, and then on The Lost Crowes. I think they are different takes.

The new version of Good Friday sounds like something off of Dark Side of The Moon.

Really liking the new one, too. Chris' vocals are great and the whole CD is mixed great. Both discs are great, but I think the 2nd one is slightly better. She has always been one of favorite Parsons' songs and Morning Songs and Downtown Money Waster are both particularly good. Now I am really, really looking forward to the Chicago show.

My brother reminded me a few days ago that we saw the Crowes when they opened up for Aerosmith in 1990, which I completely forgot about.

Also the Tall Tales interviews that are on their site with Chris a good; they are a lot different from his interviews that on the Cabin Fever DVD, where he seems pretty out there most of the time (which I no problem with.)