The Black Crowes

I just listened to it again on my way to renew my license. The horns could have been a little higher in the mix. I agree Horsehead is a bit of a clunker. To me it sounds like their most heavily Faces' influenced album.

(and a bit Crowes (at least Chris) related - finally took Lesh's advice and became an organ donor. During the video on the Crowes site, I was a bit surprised to hear that only Chris really enjoys the Grateful Dead. I know a lot of the fans were upset when Lesh sat in with the band on one of there Filmore shows.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the second Steve podcast I mentioned, he talks about that. I think he even states that he prefers the Jerry Garcia Band over The Grateful Dead. He also says that he prefers a song over a jam, so that may have something to do with it.

Calvino, you don't like Horsehead? I thought that was one of the better songs on the album --- it's at least got a kickass groove going.

I did find a way to make the album more enjoyable. Take out "Heavy", "Diamond Ring", and "Then She Said My Name", and put in "When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky", "Grows A Rose", and the B-side version of "Peace Anyway". It still sounds a bit overproduced and glittery, but at least the worst of Chris's vocal indulgences (i.e. Heavy) are gone.

Calvino, you don't like Horsehead? I thought that was one of the better songs on the album --- it's at least got a kickass groove going.

I did find a way to make the album more enjoyable. Take out "Heavy", "Diamond Ring", and "Then She Said My Name", and put in "When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky", "Grows A Rose", and the B-side version of "Peace Anyway". It still sounds a bit overproduced and glittery, but at least the worst of Chris's vocal indulgences (i.e. Heavy) are gone.

the lyrics annoy me on horsehead. the guitar is awesome though.

i love diamond ring :-\ sappy but i like it. i also like then she said my name. agree on heavy.

In the second Steve podcast I mentioned, he talks about that. I think he even states that he prefers the Jerry Garcia Band over The Grateful Dead. He also says that he prefers a song over a jam, so that may have something to do with it.

Steve's impersonation of Steven Tyler was great. :lol

Yeah, Tyler is going to be a weird fit. It is strange the Tyler is going to do it in the first place - I am assuming he doesn't need the money, perhaps to expand his fan base. All the young MTV teenyboppers and pre-teens of the early nineties are in their thirties now; their kids will be watching the show. You would think that the show would want younger/hipper judges, anyway...

The whole interview was great, I haven't took the time to listened to any of his other ones, I should do so.

All the Chris interviews have been pretty interesting, too. I like their "wilderness" years, though, even though he doesn't give it much do. I guess if I was the one who had to put up with it during those years, I would feel as he does. But i think the music holds up well. I do like By Your Side better than Lions.

I don't really care for either of those albums, but I would rather listen to Lions. It appears Steve does not think very much of Lions either.

I recall there was a code card in the cd case to download a live show. I had no idea what that was about at the time.

I also have a copy of the Lions premiere web cast they did.

(Youtube links)

ok, so croweology has me on a huge crowes renaissance, which, i think, is happening with a lotta folks these days (not a bad thing...they are a great band). anyway, i've bought brothers of a feather and lost crowes and both are fantastic. i've also dvr-ed a performance from vh1 (i think) that i have watched a few times...and, i have managed to grab some decent seats to their show at the tennessee theater here next month.

glad i've re-discovered these dudes.

I saw them I 92 and it was distorted loud. On those visa aman put up it's sounds the same way. Not to mention chris's voice is just a mess. I love the cabin fever stuff. So have they toned down the live sound? Should I go see em?

I would. Chris is not doing that scream singing deal now, he hasn't for a while.

I saw this on Jambands.com yesterday:

A new interview with Joan Osborne reveals an intriguing collaboration on the horizon. The story by Relix contributor Chad Berndtson indicates that she is working on a project with Jimmy Herring, Steve Gorman and Audley Freed.

A lot of the shows are popping up on bt.etree.org now.

just picked up by your side. so far so good. the first three songs are great!

It is a solid record ( haven't spinned it in a while). My two cents about By Your Side all have to do with image and superficial crap. I'll always admit that things such as album art, wardrobe, etc play into my ability to initially connect with music. When By Your Side came out, the whole rebranding as the next Aerosmith, as mentioned above, really turned me off. I bought into the Southern Harmony-3 Snakes image of this drugged out hippie rock band thing (like early 70's Stones image all over again) and then By Your Side with the new producer, white outfits on the cover. It just seemed cheapened in some way. Fortunately at the heart, the songs were still pretty strong, it just took me longer to get there because the aformentioned nonsense. I had a similar experience with ryan Adams easy tiger and I know others who felt this way with Ryan Adams Gold for example. I still can't listen to Son Volt The Search because of that wretched album art. I'm just admitting that this stuff gets me. Jayhawks Sound of Lies is another. Just Saying.

21 August 2010 - Chicago Theater - Chicago, IL [ USA ]

- Acoustic Set -

Soul Singing

Hotel Illness

Good Friday

What Is Home

Downtown Money Waster

Do Right Woman

Jealous Again

My Hearts Killing Me

Thorn In My Pride

She Talks To Angels

- Electric Set -

My Morning Song ->

Stare It Cold ->

My Morning Song

Isn't It About Time

Dirty Hair Halo

Make Glad

Descending

Girl From The North Country

Ballad In Urgency ->

Wiser Time

- encore -

Remedy

Thick N Thin

Don't Do It

The Chicago show was great. Rich sang lead a lot more than I expected. I got downtown early to grab some dinner and I had Soul Singing in my head walking around the whole time - was happy when they opened with it. All four covers they did were great, too. The whole band sound very, very solid. It is fun watching Gorman play - man can he swing with the best of them. The first couple of songs in the first set he was just beating a bass drum that was set up on its side on the stage with two marching band mallets. Dickenson had plenty of awesome solos.

The recording up on bt.etree is very good.

It is a solid record ( haven't spinned it in a while). My two cents about By Your Side all have to do with image and superficial crap. I'll always admit that things such as album art, wardrobe, etc play into my ability to initially connect with music. When By Your Side came out, the whole rebranding as the next Aerosmith, as mentioned above, really turned me off. I bought into the Southern Harmony-3 Snakes image of this drugged out hippie rock band thing (like early 70's Stones image all over again) and then By Your Side with the new producer, white outfits on the cover. It just seemed cheapened in some way. Fortunately at the heart, the songs were still pretty strong, it just took me longer to get there because the aformentioned nonsense. I had a similar experience with ryan Adams easy tiger and I know others who felt this way with Ryan Adams Gold for example. I still can't listen to Son Volt The Search because of that wretched album art. I'm just admitting that this stuff gets me. Jayhawks Sound of Lies is another. Just Saying.

dude, i am with on all counts! album art is a big thing for me. i just never had much interest in crowes stuff after southern harmony. however, the frost album really got me interested in them again. i guess i see the album cover as kind of a joke.

We just talked about that album the other day. I think Chris summed it up recently when he said it was the least amount of time he had ever spent on an album. And that it left him cold.

yes, that discussion sparked my interest. some good pop-rock on there. doesn't seem like they play much of it live any more.

yes, that discussion sparked my interest. some good pop-rock on there. doesn't seem like they play much of it live any more.

I think that is due to the fact that band does not care for the album. They were playing Welcome To The Goodtimes off and on there for a while.

Guest Speed Racer

I love Go Faster and Horsehead. I'm a pretty casual Crowes fan and this was the first album of theirs I got - a gift from someone - but damn, those two songs are pretty catchy.

The Chicago show was great. Rich sang lead a lot more than I expected. I got downtown early to grab some dinner and I had Soul Singing in my head walking around the whole time - was happy when they opened with it. All four covers they did were great, too. The whole band sound very, very solid. It is fun watching Gorman play - man can he swing with the best of them. The first couple of songs in the first set he was just beating a bass drum that was set up on its side on the stage with two marching band mallets. Dickenson had plenty of awesome solos.

The recording up on bt.etree is very good.

I think they sort of butcher Do Right Woman though. But - so did Gram Parsons. I always loved the very beginning, and then not so much after that.

I am grabbing the Milwaukee show also:

- Acoustic Set -

Remedy

Hotel Illness

Ballad In Urgency ->

Wiser Time

What Is Home

Good Friday

Whoa Mule

Nonfiction

She Talks To Angels

My Morning Song