The Black Crowes

I believe both of the Texas shows were noted as being electric sets only.

Any reason for that besides the one I stated? Is there any bad blood between Texas and the band. I read something somewhere about a bad experience in Austin but now I can't remember the details. They just seemed to be going through the motions and it made me wonder. Don't get me wrong, they never sounded less than great. They just seemed to be doing their job and not really enjoying themselves.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased By Your Side used but had not listened to it before the concert because it is much maligned by Crowes fans. I guess I've heard Only A Fool on the radio because I instantly recognized it at the concert. I thought it was a Motown cover. It's a great song. I listened to By Your Side today and it's pretty glossy. Not something that would make me buy another Crowes album if it was the first one I had heard. That being said, there are some good moments mixed with the embarrassing.

Any reason for that besides the one I stated? Is there any bad blood between Texas and the band. I read something somewhere about a bad experience in Austin but now I can't remember the details. They just seemed to be going through the motions and it made me wonder. Don't get me wrong, they never sounded less than great. They just seemed to be doing their job and not really enjoying themselves.

On the press release that lists the tour dates, there is an asterisk next to some shows. At the bottom of the page, it says those shows are electric only. I am guessing it had to do with curfew, or some other logistical problem.

On the press release that lists the tour dates, there is an asterisk next to some shows. At the bottom of the page, it says those shows are electric only. I am guessing it had to do with curfew, or some other logistical problem.

I hadn't realized that, and it made me go back to the press announcement. For anyone who wants to know, here's a link to the announcement with the asterisks next to certain dates. http://www.blackcrowes.com/100419.html Forewarned is forearmed.

Thankfully, the show at the Norva on 11/17 that I'm attending seems to be a full show.

I hadn't realized that, and it made me go back to the press announcement. For anyone who wants to know, here's a link to the announcement with the asterisks next to certain dates. http://www.blackcrowes.com/100419.html Forewarned is forearmed.

Thankfully, the show at the Norva on 11/17 that I'm attending seems to be a full show.

I should have posted it again. Thanks for posting the link.

Just an awful band.

???

(psst, guys? is this poster just trying to incite an attack for attention? should we just ignore it just as this poster has obviously ignored the loads of great material this band has released, pretty consistently i might add, for 20 years?? you think he/she heard me or did the parentheses keep the sound muffled enough?)

Just listened to the entire Denver show from 8/29/10. Amazing. I absolutely love their version of "Oh Sweet Nuthin". I also got the 8/21/10 (Chicago Theatre) show to check out next. Chris' voice is really in top form, he is singing as good as he ever has.

Man they really hate the crowes over there. I find it amusing but I have to wonder why all the venom? It is a fan site and in my opinion the Crowes have been great since reforming. Just. Curious and I know better than to expect a straight answer on that forum.

Many of the fans are die hard Ford freaks (the guitarist, not the car). They feel he got a raw deal, on both of his departures.

The Crowes have changed drastically since 1990... It was a nice progression until BYS or when Ford left. The albums became weaker as did their shows. They returned back to form in 2005, but again fell apart when Ford left for a second time. The constant rotation of guitarist did not help out their live shows. Luther for the most part is doing quite well.

Are they playing albums in their entirety at the NYC shows?

No, at least they have provided no signs of playing entire albums during this tour.

yeah. that's what i don't get. if they continued to make music like lions, it'd make sense. but all the new shit is solid.

Many do not like Luther's "noodling" and Adam butchers some old classics.

I tend to agree with some of the complaints in regards to some old songs (Wiser Time - Adam just is embarrassing, and listening to him cover Ed on Descending is most awkward), however both are excellent on the albums they help create, and the live renditions.

Many do not like Luther's "noodling" and Adam butchers some old classics.

I tend to agree with some of the complaints in regards to some old songs (Wiser Time - Adam just is embarrassing, and listening to him cover Ed on Descending is most awkward), however both are excellent on the albums they help create, and the live renditions.

don't disagree with this one bit. i think the new songs are great but sometimes dislike the old versions played live.

don't disagree with this one bit. i think the new songs are great but sometimes dislike the old versions played live.

The odd thing about it all is that it is done purposely; for Adam and Luther both are excellent musicians.

Their take on some old tunes are just plain wrong.

However last night set looks killer:

~ acoustic set ~

Jealous Again

Hotel Illness

Torn & Frayed

My Heart's Killing Me

Downtown Money Waster

Thorn In My Pride

Girl from a Pawnshop

Wee Who See The Deep

Time Will Tell

Morning Song

~ electric set ~

Exit

P25 London

Black Moon Jam -> Black Moon Creeping

Ballad in Urgency ->

Wiser Time

Song of Love

Oh Josephine

Hard to Handle

Remedy

~ encore ~

She Talks to Angels

Hey Grandma

10-26-10

Acoustic:

Welcome To The Goodtimes

My Morning Song

Soul Singing

Ballad In Urgency

Wiser Time

What Is Home

Driving Wheel

Cold Boy Smile

She

Jealous Again

Remedy

Electric:

Been A Long Time Waiting On Love

Thorn In My Pride

Dirty Hair Halo

Nonfiction

She Talks To Angels

Just Want To See His Face

Let Me Share The Ride

Hard To Handle

Encore:

Thick and Thin

The Black Crowes

27 October 2010 - Massey Hall - Toronto, Ontario [ CAN ]

S E T L I S T

- acoustic set -

JEALOUS AGAIN

HOTEL ILLNESS

SOUL SINGING

LAST PLACE THAT LOVE LIVES

THORN IN MY PRIDE

WHAT IS HOME

DO RIGHT WOMAN

WHOA MULE

SHE TALKS TO ANGELS

MY MORNING SONG

- electric set -

(ONLY) HALFWAY TO EVERYWHERE

I AIN’T HIDING

HIGH HEAD BLUES

BALLAD IN URGENCY ->

WISER TIME

DARLING OF THE UNDERGROUND PRESS

OH JOSEPHINE

HARD TO HANDLE

REMEDY

NO SPEAK NO SLAVE

- encore -

OH SWEET NUTHIN

mjpuczko -

Is this the show you were talking about last winter? If so, it is up at Dime a Dozen.

Chris Robinson and New Earth Mud

February 13, 2003

Park West

Chicago, IL

Taper: Auger_d@yahoo.com

Equipment: Sony D-8 CSB Mics

Source: 44 khz > CD Wave > FLAC

Setlist:

set 1

01 Safe in the Arms of Love

02 Sunday Sound

03 Untangle My Mind

04 Tough Mama

05 Red Wine

06 The Last of the Old Time Train Robbers

07 Kids That Ain't Got None

08 Mother of Stone

09 Sin City

10 Like a Tumble Weed in Eden

11 Got Love if You Want It

set 2

12 Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You

13 Hi-Speed Transportion LA City Limit Blues

14 Silver Car

15 Detour on the PCH Somba

16 Ride

17 Reflections On a Broken Mirror

18 T For Texas

19 Sugaree

20 Better Than the Sun

encore

21 Blues Power

Notes: Great set by the Black Crowes singer solo band. Almost 3 hours of great music, the recording sounds very good, enjoy.